Forums are back in action! ×

What comes around goes around!

I started doing CrossFit mid-December.  My first class was a team class - 3 people to a team.  A husband/wife team invited me to work out with them.  We obviously didn't do so great on time (I'm a HORRIBLE runner), but I felt like I helped them out a little on deadlifts.  Regardless - they made me feel welcome and accomplished at the end of the workout and reassured me that time wasn't everything.

That day there was also another sort-of newbie there.  This man had a hard time walking from his car to the gym without getting out of breath.  They modified the workout for him that day and he had to workout on his own (due to not being able to do the majority of the exercises even in a modified way).  I have thought about him often as I haven't seen him again and figured his quest had gotten overwhelming and derailed.

Today I saw him... and was blessed to work out with him.  We did a 1 mile row (it was supposed to be running but I thought he needed a rowing partner), then we did 50 kettlebell swings, then another 1 mile row.  At the beginning of class, he didn't think he would finish even the first mile.  At the end of class, I joked if he wanted to do it again.  The smile on his face was worth every bit of anything today, and it will keep me going for quite some time!  Knowing that HE not only finished the first mile - but the second mile too and every kettlebell swing in the middle.

I don't have any idea how long it took me, how far I rowed or how many kettlebell swings I did.  All I know is that helping someone else gave me the greatest boost ever.  We had our picture taken together at the end of class and we talked about my silly goal about being able to climb a rope upside down.  I explained that it didn't have a timeline, I didn't have a real reason other than I did it when I was a kid and wanted to be able to do it again.  He told me his goals and we discussed how it isn't about how fast you get there - only that you make it.  We talked about how far he has come already and when he left today, he felt encouraged.  I think that is an incredibly cool gift and I'm thankful I had the opportunity to work out with him today.

• Like 4

Level 3: Marshmallow Queen Assassin

STR: 3 | DEX: 3 | STA: 4 | CON: 4 | WIS:5 | CHA: 4

Challenge 4: Priorities

Challenge 3: Cuts the Crap Again

#2 #1

"you can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will" Stephen King

Amazing! Would you come and work out with me? :D

Totally.  If you are anywhere near me - totally!!!  My blisters are just now healing - but it was such an amazing experience.  Still makes me happy :)  I would be happy to come work out with you!

Level 3: Marshmallow Queen Assassin

STR: 3 | DEX: 3 | STA: 4 | CON: 4 | WIS:5 | CHA: 4

Challenge 4: Priorities

Challenge 3: Cuts the Crap Again

#2 #1

"you can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will" Stephen King

Woo! That's an awesome story. Way to go :D

• Like 1

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker