Forums are back in action! ×

Hi all, 

My name is Daniel Ostapovich. I will share a little about myself as an introduction. I am 29 years old, 6'1, male and 240ish pound (last time I weighed myself), I am married to the most beautiful woman in the world (You can argue your wife is the most beautiful I understand your position and choose to disagree). I am also a proud nerd/geek what-have you. I like history, I play board games,  pen and paper RPGs, Tabletop wargames and I some computer games as well. I have also put on over 30 pounds since my wedding this summer as I stress eat and my job is currently quite stressful. I moved from PEI Canada to St. Paul Alberta in 2012 and then to Cochrane Alberta this summer and I am working as a Grade 4 Elementary teacher and a woods shop teacher. I am new to teaching (second year) and I love it but find it very stressful (remember I stress eat). I was teaching up north last year in a relatively remote part of Alberta and it well it was stressful I kept the weight in check with hobbies and helping my neighbour on the farm in exchange for space for blacksmithing, a horse to ride and hiking. Now I live in a Apartment building (No smithing), I have no horse (it was the farmers) and I just haven't hiked which is terrible considering how close I am to the Rockies. I have just lost my drive to stay in shape and turing 30 while 40 pounds overweight scares me.

I have taken the first step and decided to get back into shape, but know for a fact I need help and direction. I am use to being farm/country active, and now I live in the city and don't know where to start. I no longer have access to my usual outlets and I am a little lost. I also don't want to go to a gym it seems to expensive for something I could do at home. I have a friend in the Rebellion back on PEI and he talks it up like crazy,he has also dropped 30 pounds so I am willing to give it a go. 

My goal is to lose 20-25 pounds before my birthday in July and then get down to my ideal weight of 200 pounds give or take. I am not looking to be super strong or run marathons, I just want to feel good about myself and lose weight. I am going to start with changing my diet (need cut gluten out anyways) and the basic 20 minute workout. I am  also consider starting to stair walk in my apartment building, 10-20minutes on alternate days to work out of going up and down the stairs but I do not want to over load myself.. What I am looking for is a place were I feel comfortable (gyms make me nervous) about sharing my little victories and challenges. I offer support and whatever else I can, advice on blacksmithing if you want it or woodworking how tos or advice on RPGs or gaming (I am a geek after all). 

Sorry about the grammer, spelling and rambling feel, I am not much for this sort of thing so I am writing quickly and hitting send so I do not back out.

Cheers,

Daniel  

Glad to have you on board!  I'm with you on online forums.  One of those weird forms of communication that freaks me out, but I want to share my nerdness so I'm here.  

Good luck with getting your fitness plan together.  I'm sure people on the forum will have all kinds of ideas on how to workout without a gym.  There's a lot of articles on that subject on the blog too. for example http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Great to meet you!

Welcome to the rebellion, Daniel!

If you want to work out at home, you will definitely want to check out bodyweight workouts: Here are some free resources. If you need anything else, let me know!

Good luck with your goals and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

welcome! there are definitely many resources for working out at home. my hubby and i both lift weights at home. I'd start with your nutrition and go from there. sometimes a bunch of big changes sounds like a great idea but they can be overwhelming when you try to do them all at once so push yourself forward, but also love yourself enough to not push too hard. feel free to add me if you want some support. i'm trying to lose about 35lbs myself. best of hard work! <---i'd say luck but we all know there's no luck involved...just hard work!