Forums are back in action! ×

I no longer crave soda

I've been a soda addict since I was 13. During my worst I was drinking 4-6 20oz sodas a day.

It was difficult to give them up and took months of weaning myself off of them with the help of caffeine pills. (I no longer need them)

Also for some reason this particular article made me really WANT to stop drinking sodas. I've read plenty of articles on how bad sodas can be your health but for some reason that article made me really think about the damage I was doing to my body.

I don't remember the exact date I had my last soda but it's been roughly 2 months. I had to run to CVS last night to buy milk and a few other things and I realized I had no desire to grab a soda. That used to be my ritual, everytime I had to make a late night run to CVS I would grab one. But last night I didn't have to stop myself, I realized I had had no real desire to drink one and honestly couldn't remember what I liked about soda so much.

Big change for me, and I'm very happy about it :-D

• Like 2

Congratulations and good work!

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Congratulations!

Soda is probably one of the worst things ever invented in the food department.

Recently I watched short documentary showing how the diet soda influences binging by increasing the appetite and sugar cravings, therefore supporting unhealthy eating habits.

In the same documentary it was shown that people on average consume so much more of the low-fat product, that they actually ingest more fat and calories than those eating regular-fat product.

I wish more people would give up on sodas.

After just few weeks water will start tasting good. Also tea. Tea without added sweeteners will actually have a good taste :)

@Samus - Really interesting article about acidity in sodas, thanks for the link.

Congratulations! There is absolutely NOTHING worthwhile in sodas- 0! They make you feel a little fuller, but they do not reward your body with anything.  Not to mention that American sodas have HFCS (yuck!)

I am curious about something though- is it the syrup that makes soda acidic? We have a Soda Stream at home because my fiance just LOVES Club Soda (nothing else in it, just the carbonation itself).  To help me quit my own soda cravings, I was having a club soda with lemon flavoring (sugar free).

To anyone's knowledge, is there anything I should be aware of regarding pure carbonated water?

Congratulations!  Dropping soda is one of the best things you can do for yourself, diet wise! 

This isn't the first time I've kicked sodas. I've caved on previous attempts. I'm really not sure what changed this time, maybe I finally truely decided I wanted to stop drinking them instead of forcing myself to stop drinking them.

You'll get there, just keep at it :-) If I can do it anyone can.

Congratulations! There is absolutely NOTHING worthwhile in sodas- 0! They make you feel a little fuller, but they do not reward your body with anything.  Not to mention that American sodas have HFCS (yuck!)

I am curious about something though- is it the syrup that makes soda acidic? We have a Soda Stream at home because my fiance just LOVES Club Soda (nothing else in it, just the carbonation itself).  To help me quit my own soda cravings, I was having a club soda with lemon flavoring (sugar free).

To anyone's knowledge, is there anything I should be aware of regarding pure carbonated water?

The carbonation process produces carbonic acid, which is somewhat acidic. Lemon or lemon flavoring is also acidic (basically - if it tastes sour, it's an acid). Most if not all soft drinks add additional acid via the flavorings, so plain soda water is better, also the combination of acid + sugar is particularly bad for teeth.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women