Forums are back in action! ×

well, i would think that's a red flag. it sounds like it's going to be a big piece, and if it's going to be taking up a lot of space on your body forever, you want to be completely sure you'll love it. plus, from what you say, it sounds like it might be difficult or uncomfortable to discuss what you want with these guys. if you aren't comfortable saying "no i don't like that, i was thinking something more like this," then there's a problem. i would say keep looking around and see who else you might be able to get hooked up with. you really don't want to rush into anything with the wrong artist!

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

IMG_20111012_143714.jpg

my one and only, covers a large portion of my leg, but it was way worth it.  Memorial ink for my baby sister

• Like 3

I haven't made a goal, I have made a lifestyle change.

I am not where I want to be, but I am closer than I was yesterday.

It was hard to make changes at first, I will never go back.

The only person that was standing in my way was me.

Now that I have gotten out of my way, nothing can stop me!

Level 4: Burger-Flipping Ass Kicking Ogre Ranger:  STR:7 DEX:8 STA:11 CON:2 WIS:5 CHA:12

Challenges -(1),(2),(3), Current

well, i would think that's a red flag. it sounds like it's going to be a big piece, and if it's going to be taking up a lot of space on your body forever, you want to be completely sure you'll love it. plus, from what you say, it sounds like it might be difficult or uncomfortable to discuss what you want with these guys. if you aren't comfortable saying "no i don't like that, i was thinking something more like this," then there's a problem. i would say keep looking around and see who else you might be able to get hooked up with. you really don't want to rush into anything with the wrong artist!

I tend to agree with this. Tattoos are art, but (in almost every case) commissioned art. And commissioned art is subject to the commissioner's desires. In other cases, you don't like it, you have it fixed before the final payments. Tattoos aren't quite the same...so it must be corrected prior to the work being done. 

So yeah, you want to be able to approve the work, make modifications, etc. etc. before committing to the piece.

Glingaerben the Wood Elf

Level 1 Ranger Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: #1, 2

Battle Log

I have a navel piercing that has been ripped on at least a dozen times from Volleyball (yet still is intact). I'm also planning on getting angel wings on my back in white, grey and silvery blue but I haven't been able to finalize my idea... Any suggestions?

So this was my process- YMMV obviously but I have an amazing piece of artwork and an artist I had a good working relationship with- so I'm saying it was a win.  LOL

I waited for my piece to come to me.  I'm an artist- this was something I NEEDED to draw first.  and after having had many ideas, drawn them, then let them stew I had never had something really stick and it hit me one day and the day it hit me I knew exactly that it was "the one".  I still waited at least 6 months- but I new I still loved it regardless (I have a year wait period)

6 months in- and still deeply in love with it- I began my artist search- it took me almost 4-5 months to settle on 2 artists whose style, technique and portfolio's I really liked.  Lines- and good technique were really important to me- blending was important- but I wanted texture- it's a bird MOAR TEXTURE!! So lines- and texture- if you want a lot of blending - make sure the artist can blend. Variety in their work?  always a plus- if you ask for something out of their element it won't be an issue but make sure what you want in your head- kind of falls in line with their specialization- no sense going to the cartoon guy for a realistic portrait if there is someone one chair over who specializes in that stuff. 

So this matching of artists thing was important to me: after watching way to many tattoo shoes- and artists grumbling back stage about having to draw some seemingly trite piece of art work- I really made it my quest to make sure the person I was working with was A. and artist- not someone who was going to copy my stuff and use it directly and B.) understood that it was my art- not just an idea to create- but also that it was a collaboration and that it was THEIR art as well.  hard to explain- but this was important to me.  Art's serious shit yo. 

Since I already had a drawing I only had one consult with my artist- and it was more of an interview- and I asked him if he was interested in doing it because I didn't' want to waste his time otherwise.  We had a good 20 minute chat and I booked an appointment.  May- they squeezed me in for December (having to wait in line is NOT a bad thing)- other than that i would have had to wait till March. 

Fortunately it was a one sitting piece.  No other consults- and I drove to the city and he sat down and drew three renditions and sizes and we placed and picked and settled and everyone agreed on size and placement.  (I went alone- so by everyone I mean- random strangers in a take out Chinese store tattoo parlor LOL)

I put my foot down on a significant change in design- I didn't like it and it was important to me to be one way.  And I felt bad saying no- but the reality is- I would have been deeply miserable just settling for his very lovely- but not me design.  It's your money -it's your art.  You can let them take it so far- but ultimately you have to like it... because you are the one wearing it forever. 

So to summarize-

1.)think through your design- but dont' be so set you aren't willing to wait.  I waited almost 10 years going threw drawing after drawing of something I thought I kind of wanted... but it was to forced.

2.) Really do your homework on your artists. Make sure it's someone's art you like- holds up well- stands the test of time- and isn't some seedy south street 2 bit down that'll give you ink even if you are wasted and you just walk in. (unless that's the kind of piece you want- and then go for it)

3.) you reserve the right to say no to anything- it is your art.

4.) you pay for what you get- expect to pay 75-150$ an hour for a larger piece- if it's one sitting round up slightly.  2-3 hrs is going to be at a decent place is ball parked at 500.

anyway- that's how it went for me- I loved my artist- he was this hysterical tall blond- tattooed Viking type person- but super nice and wildly inappropraitely funny. I had a great time. 

He actually works for Mike Rubendall if any of you saw him judging a spot Ink Masters (PS King's Avenue is full of AMAZING artists!!!) :D 

Vella; Any place that won't do custom art work doesn't have real artists. The only reason they'd not do consultation is if the person doesn't want to use their free time doing it without a guarantee that you're paying; in this case, they tend to draw the piece the day that you come in. This time should NEVER be charged. You should only be paying hourly rates when a needle is actually on your skin.

The other option is that they're just tracers, and can't draw worth a damn. If you walk into a tattoo place and they hand you a book, walk back out. Especially if they only tattoo from that book. In my opinion no tattoo should EVER come from a book. One reason we get tattoos is expression. How express is the same thing that a thousand other people have? I, personally, will only use artists that only do custom work, and refuse to work from a book.

• Like 1

Vella; Any place that won't do custom art work doesn't have real artists. The only reason they'd not do consultation is if the person doesn't want to use their free time doing it without a guarantee that you're paying; in this case, they tend to draw the piece the day that you come in. This time should NEVER be charged. You should only be paying hourly rates when a needle is actually on your skin.

The other option is that they're just tracers, and can't draw worth a damn. If you walk into a tattoo place and they hand you a book, walk back out. Especially if they only tattoo from that book. In my opinion no tattoo should EVER come from a book. One reason we get tattoos is expression. How express is the same thing that a thousand other people have? I, personally, will only use artists that only do custom work, and refuse to work from a book.

They were more than happy to draw something from my instructions of "have a few pictures, combine them, please", and at no point was I handed a book, so that's absolutely a plus!

But I'm getting the idea, I think.  I've started to check out some places in Sydney.  I've found some artists whose work looks like my design is within their areas of expertise.  I'm waiting for my friend to get back to me about some places that her friends went to and got pretty spectacular ink done.

Loren, that arm piece is stunning!

• Like 1

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Ooooh Loren, very sexy.

Oh wait! It's the other thread that everybody's flirting in. Dammit! ;)

HA!

Awe, baby plugs! ;)

LOL.

I swear I'm not going any bigger. I've resolved to not doing any permanent damage.

They were more than happy to draw something from my instructions of "have a few pictures, combine them, please", and at no point was I handed a book, so that's absolutely a plus!

But I'm getting the idea, I think. I've started to check out some places in Sydney. I've found some artists whose work looks like my design is within their areas of expertise. I'm waiting for my friend to get back to me about some places that her friends went to and got pretty spectacular ink done.

Loren, that arm piece is stunning!

Thanks!

I totally want something Doctor Who related, I just have no idea what...or where it would go. Placement is just as important to me as what I have. My neck and back are completely covered already, my chest is spoken for, my upper right arm is done (as are both wrists). Legs are kind of a no go for me...except my antelope on my ankle. Left arm is kind of spoken for...but the idea isn't fully formed yet. I'm running  out of acceptable space!

• Like 1

And in this existence, I'll stay persistent

And I'll make a difference, and I will have lived it- MFTP

Battle Log

You cant deny a well done doctor who tat

That looks amazing!  Gotta love a good Dr Who tat.

Doctor Who=Love

Word.

It's looking a lot better now that it's had a few days of healing and TLC. Will post a new pic of it in about a week or so. 

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus 

Hahaha. My big thing is I don't want to do permanent damage.

I passed that point years ago, I shudder to think what my ears would look like if I wanted to take them out. I just know I don't :) They are so much a part of who I am, it would be like cutting off a finger. 

Battle Log

Q

New tattoo healing ok, not extremely happy about patchy colour but can get reworking later.

If you look closely at my tiny little pic, you can see the one tattoo I say I will rework but never will lol that cute little guy was completely colored in when I got him...but crappy artist chopped the hell out of it, and almost all the color fell out. Now he remains a constant reminder of why I only trust one artist now. 

• Like 1

Battle Log