Forums are back in action! ×

Favourite Real-Life Adventure Books?

I love stories about explorers running off into the big wide Wild, and The Lost World will always be my favourite book, but I really want to read more about real expeditions.

The two I like best are:

- Endurance by Alfred Lansing (about Ernest Shackleton's ill-fated Trans-Antarctic Expedition, compiled from the journals of the team members. Vivid, compelling, harrowing, and will make you eternally grateful for the lack of seal blubber in your diet and/or heating system.)

- Last Chance To See by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine (in which the writer of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy gets paid by the BBC to fly in exceptionally dodgy planes, search for gigantic parrots that make booming noises, and not get eaten by Komodo dragons. I tried to read it out loud to a friend once and my face seized up from laughing. In a hospital waiting room. Might not have been very appropriate.)

I need more! What do you like and why?

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

- Yak Butter and Black Tea by Wade Brackenbury

A Mormon mountaineer and chiropractor joins a Frenchman obsessed with going to a particular isolated valley on the Tibetan-Nepali border. The book deals extensively with the asumptions of foreign travelers and the breaking of illusions, both personal and cultural.  Great stuff.  No seat-gripping action, but very engrossing.

-The Brendan Voyage by Tim Severin

In the 1970s, a team of American and Irish researchers and sailors built a leather boat and successfully sailed it from Ireland to Newfoundland, following the voyage of a 6th-century Irish monk named Brendan.  Lots of great storytelling, and good solid history.

- Kon-Tiki, The Tigris Expedition, by Thor Heyerdahl.

The guy's historical theories are bunk, but his voyages still make for good reading.

• Like 1

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Thankyou! I'm going to look those up right now!

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

I liked the books by Francis Chicester. He was the first pilot to flew from New Zealand to Australia, and also sailed solo around the world. His autobiography is The lonely sea and the sky.

• Like 1

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius