Forums are back in action! ×

Who is your fitness hero?

Yeesh, Flea needs to squat a bit more than he has been.

One I forgot, Usain Bolt. I love his style, his swagger. He's the best and there's not a damn thing anybody can do about it. I always admire that trait in pro athletes when they have it and they deserve it (you don't reach that level without a life of dedication and hard work); guys like Aaron Rodgers, Richard Sherman, and Adrian Peterson also come to mind.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Yes! I actually saw a guy today at the gym and was like, "is that Henry Rollins?!?" and then I realized he was too tall and not enough tattoos. Bummer. Sigh, a girl can dream right?

Haha I'm told all the time that I look like a taller Rollins.  Down to the hair.

• Like 1

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I'm a media nerd, so I'd have to say Arnie (I saw Pumping Iron when I was, like... 11?), Bruce Lee, Vegeta (yes, that one) and my friend/sensei/mentor Trevor from my GSD days. In most practical senses, Trevor would be the most important one, just because he was a real person, and genuinely tried to help me better myself.  There was seemingly no physical act he was not capable of, be it handstand pushups, hanging-between-two-chairs splits, one-handed pullups, getting a running start and leaping CLEAR over my car, without touching it, or sparring at such speeds that we actually did have to video-tape it and slow it down. Also, genuinely one of the nicest people on the planet.  There are so few of them in the world.  Last I heard, he was with Cirque Du Soleil. 

• Like 3

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Vegeta was an inspiration. He knew he was never going to be the best, and was always going to be 2nd place because of that bastard Goku. but he kept training anyway.

I've been likened to this guy quite a few times. Because all Asians look alike. (No, not The Rock.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_FHXHuSN2M

• Like 1

Say what you want about Richard Simmons - but he convinced hundreds of thousands of overweight people across 3 decades to get more exercise and eat better.  That deserves some respect.

0_61_320_Simmons2.jpg

• Like 2

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

Vegeta was an inspiration. He knew he was never going to be the best, and was always going to be 2nd place because of that bastard Goku. but he kept training anyway.

I've been likened to this guy quite a few times. Because all Asians look alike. (No, not The Rock.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_FHXHuSN2M

I've loved that dude since Turtles 2...

My fitness hero, though I don't run anymore I've always admired Steve Prefontaine.

Specifically the way he ran, to beat him, you knew you would have to reach into that part that forces you to do more than you think you're capable of.

"I'm going to work so that it's a pure guts race at the end, and if it is, I am the only one who can win it." - Pre-

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more." -Pre-

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Growing up I was a huge fan of Bruce Lee.  When I started lifting I became enamored with Ronnie Coleman.  I also really like Kai Greene.  I think most of my motivation the last few years has come from Jujimufu and Antoine Vaillant though. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLlwuAJLY_E

I've loved that dude since Turtles 2...

My fitness hero, though I don't run anymore I've always admired Steve Prefontaine.

Specifically the way he ran, to beat him, you knew you would have to reach into that part that forces you to do more than you think you're capable of.

"I'm going to work so that it's a pure guts race at the end, and if it is, I am the only one who can win it." - Pre-

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more." -Pre-

surf ninjas wasn't bad either

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

surf ninjas wasn't bad either

Said no one... ever.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

And the guy who shows that you don't have to be big to be strong:

This. What makes it even better is knowing that he was "seeing people do bodyweight stuff" and then just "went and tried it himself". Gives a lot of hope to people like me who are just starting out with that stuff and can't even complete a bunch of pull-ups.

There are also a couple of great MMA fighters who have amazing heart, dedication and grit and left me in awe after watching them. Frankie Edgar is one of them, Matt Brown another.

• Like 2

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

Said no one... ever.

eh, brings back nostalgia.

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

I would like to add Sting into the mix, longtime yoga practice and still looks amazing! I like seeing the longterm effects of a person's physical routine and it's sustainability.

Rodney Yee has a beautiful body and a calm presence as well.

I don't know anyone who isn't an admirer of Bruce Lee... I think the body and physical abilities in combination with charisma and intelligence creates an irresistible persona.

• Like 1

I find greek sculpture pretty amazing and inspiring to think of the intellectual ideas and the incredible understanding of how to develop the mind and the body (and artistic abilities)… it just blows me away.

I love this guy, great confidence and attitude and such an amazing body, especially his back! 

I've shown this in my class and students have swooned at the sight of this guy.

• Like 2

I find greek sculpture pretty amazing and inspiring to think of the intellectual ideas and the incredible understanding of how to develop the mind and the body (and artistic abilities)… it just blows me away.

I love this guy, great confidence and attitude and such an amazing body, especially his back! 

How about this two guys?

A bit more bulked one  (big picture)  (Heracles)

Hercules_Farnese_3637104088_9c95d7fe3c_b

and talking about backs.. (big picture)  (Boxer of Quirinal)

Pugile,_I_secolo_ac.,_08.JPG

My interest in fitness and muscles started with two women, namely Jodi Boam and Dana Linn Bailey

Now I´m also looking up to Antoine Vaillant, Tom Platz, some Rugby players, Dan Green (and a big parts of the Animal crew)

+ Dwayne the Rock Johnson and the lead singer of Harm´s Way.

• Like 4

I'll go a bit off-track here and unleash the inner nerd.

There have been plenty of inspiration sources, but none as life-turning as Vin Diesel admitting he was (or is he still?) into Dungeons&Dragons. Not because it gave nerds someone famous to relate to, but the way I see it, because it broke the stereotype that it's all about fat kids in basements, rolling dice, playing videogames, perhaps being intelligent in a socially awkward way etc. It gave many people, including myself, something else to aspire to, proving you can be fit, successful, cool and not at all ashamed about that part of you that "society" looks at with a raised eyebrow ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Also, most of the things that've helped me understand life I learned through pro wrestling, especially the old ECW. We might not realize it, but there's an awful lot of storytelling in the way we and others live our lives. Plus, inspirational moments like Paul Heyman's final word from the "Rise and Fall of ECW" DVD: "You can not achieve success without the risk of failure, and I learned a long time ago, you can not achieve success if you fear failure. If you're not afraid to fail, man you have a chance to succeed, but you're never gonna get there unless you risk it all the way... I was a failure. Sometimes half the fun is failing, learning from your mistakes, waking up the next morning and saying 'Okay, watch out, here I come again, a lil' bit smarter, lickin' my wounds and really not looking forward to getting my ass kicked the way I did just yesterday. So now I'm just a lil' more dangerous..."

• Like 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

I'll go a bit off-track here and unleash the inner nerd.

There have been plenty of inspiration sources, but none as life-turning as Vin Diesel admitting he was (or is he still?) into Dungeons&Dragons. Not because it gave nerds someone famous to relate to, but the way I see it, because it broke the stereotype that it's all about fat kids in basements, rolling dice, playing videogames, perhaps being intelligent in a socially awkward way etc. It gave many people, including myself, something else to aspire to, proving you can be fit, successful, cool and not at all ashamed about that part of you that "society" looks at with a raised eyebrow ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Also, most of the things that've helped me understand life I learned through pro wrestling, especially the old ECW. We might not realize it, but there's an awful lot of storytelling in the way we and others live our lives. Plus, inspirational moments like Paul Heyman's final word from the "Rise and Fall of ECW" DVD: "You can not achieve success without the risk of failure, and I learned a long time ago, you can not achieve success if you fear failure. If you're not afraid to fail, man you have a chance to succeed, but you're never gonna get there unless you risk it all the way... I was a failure. Sometimes half the fun is failing, learning from your mistakes, waking up the next morning and saying 'Okay, watch out, here I come again, a lil' bit smarter, lickin' my wounds and really not looking forward to getting my ass kicked the way I did just yesterday. So now I'm just a lil' more dangerous..."

all of this.....

i'm a big Vin Diesel fan, not so much the fast and furious franchise, but my obsession with Riddick. didn't he write the foreward for D&D too or something?

and i've watched wrestling pretty much my entire life, couldn't agree more

• Like 1

all of this.....

i'm a big Vin Diesel fan, not so much the fast and furious franchise, but my obsession with Riddick. didn't he write the foreward for D&D too or something?

and i've watched wrestling pretty much my entire life, couldn't agree more

I spent more than a few Saturday nights in that old Bingo Hall at Swanson & Ritner; then late until Sunday morning at the Airport Hilton

Blessed are you, NerdFitness, for bringing such people under the same roof.

• Like 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

As a side note for "athletic people into nerdstuff", Josh Barnett, former UFC heavyweight champion among many other accolades, is http://fightland.vice.com/fightland-meets/josh-barnett'>a huge fan & player of Magic the Gathering and he also likes Warhammer 40k & League of Legends.

Here's a video of him, choking people out and playing magic (not at the same time though):

http://fightland.vice.com/fightland-meets/josh-barnett

• Like 2

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

As a side note for "athletic people into nerdstuff", Josh Barnett, former UFC heavyweight champion among many other accolades, is a huge fan & player of Magic the Gathering and he also likes Warhammer 40k & League of Legends.

Here's a video of him, choking people out and playing magic (not at the same time though):

http://fightland.vice.com/fightland-meets/josh-barnett

Not a big fan of M:tG or LoL, prefer WH Fantasy to 40k, but I was absolutely sold once I saw the Goatwhore t-shirt. The man has some great taste in music, think I just found a new person to look up to. Thanks Disil!

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker