Forums are back in action! ×

Had a revelation today

So I was at the gym doing upper body today and I had a revelation as I was going for my max weight on my lifts. Working out really shouldn't be comfortable. I'm not talking about working through pain of improper form, etc. I'm talking about pushing myself harder to the point of knowing you're tearing muscle fibers apart to make them bigger and stronger. Just visualizing the muscle destruction for improvement helped me mentally push harder. Thoughts?

Hmm...

I agree that a workout should never be comfortable to do or easy.

There is a point, though, where too much can seriously f*** with recovery. Its always best to avoid training to failure.

Progressive overload is key. Your plan should be to take a few steps outside your comfort zone by end of your set. In the long run you make your comfort zone bigger by doing this.

That is my stream of consciousness on this matter.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

I agree that a workout should never be comfortable to do or easy.

There is a point, though, where too much can seriously f*** with recovery. 

Mmhmm. I kinda flow with it, do what my body feels like it needs. Often I'll work technique on one thing, and get my "push" out of another. Constantly mix it up to make sure I'm not stressing everything too much, but continually stressing my body just enough. And scheduling in (active!) rest days to make sure I'm re-building!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Really, whatever helps you achieve your goals would be helpful. "The worst program in the world performed pedal-to-the-metal will bring on more results than the best possible program done half-assed." (Christian Thibaudeau) Eventually though you're going to have to create a balance between training smart and training hard, but for now if you're new to it and working hard, you're already doing more than most people are.

For the record, this is what a torn muscle looks like, and I don't think that's what you're going for:

pec-tear.jpg

I am new to lifting weights and each time I have to confront the voices in my head saying thats too much. Each time I talk myself into completing the set and then add a bit more and tell myself it is okay if I can't complete the set, go a bit farther and see what happens. I am surprised at the mental challenge of lifting weights. I don't think I ever appreciated that in the people that workout hardcore.

When I was younger, in high school, I set the weights at what I could comfortably do and did my sets. Now, I do short sets as heavy as I can go and I am learning to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.

I am also surprised that the uncomfortable feeling does not last long. I am tired and sleep well after lifting and only a bit sore the next few days, but the few seconds of pushing are all there is and I usually feel really good as I walk out of the gym.