Forums are back in action! ×

I ran a 1/2 mile without stopping! Update: Make that 1.54 miles!

So I have been doing C25K for a few challenges now.  I am finally at the point where I am not stopping mid way, and have been getting to uncharted territory for me.  Next week is week 5 for me of C25K.

So 1/2 mile isn't that big of a deal.  Except for me it feels like a milestone was done.  

I have always been heavy or overweight.  Through my middle school years (6th-8th grade) we had to so PE classes.  I think I was just about 225lbs all of middle school.  We started running a 1/2 mile twice a week.  Not on a track, it was more of a course in the field.  Eventually, added in 1 mile runs once we were in 8th grade.  Well, for me it was different.  With my friends too, we were too cool to run or something.  Fighting against the system.  Whatever it is when you are that age.  We did walk them though.  Eventually, i did start running more and more of them.  

I remember in 6th grade seeing kids running fast.  There was sort of a marker set.  Kids that could do then 1/2 mile under 3 minutes.   Some were even faster then that.  So it was sort of a goal of mine.  Before I left middle school, I would get under 3 minutes.  

Now I don't really remember truly going for that goal ever.  I know I have lots of 4 minutes times.  So eventually it came down to one more final run of 8th grade.  After this were were moving on to high school.  So I went for it.  I think I ran faster then I ever had before.  Darting past kids like they were standing still.  There was one kid in my class that was a quick runner, and he was in front of me.  Eventually though, I passed him too.  I made the turn into the home stretch and I could see a friend of mine jumping at the finish line urging me to keep running.  I finished the 1/2 mile in 2 minutes and 57 seconds.  Weird to think a moment like that would be something that would still hold so much feeling for me all these years later.

So I wanted to start to get that feeling back.  I am still much much larger then I was in middle school, and I don't believe for a minute that I will be able to see 2:57 anytime soon.  Still, I can start to get some of that back.

So today is the first time that I can remember since then that I was able to run a 1/2 mile.  In fact, I kept running.  A part of my challenge this time is to see how fast I can get in 1/2 mile, and a mile.  So I ran at the track today.  I finished the 1/2 mile, and ran for another lap around the track.  I did stop to walk for about 1/4th of a lap before I started running again to finish the mile.

So 14 day ago I tested to see how long it would take me to go 1/2 mile, and then 1 mile.

Before times:

1/2 mile:  5 minutes 44 seconds

1 Mile:  12 minutes 14 seconds.

Today's times:

1/2 mile:  5 minutes 33 seconds

1 Mile:  11 minutes 33 seconds

Next step is to continue to improve those times and get faster :D

• Like 5

Great effort man, the 1 mile especially!

Running is so easy to measure, you can run a little longer/faster than last time and you know you´ve leveled up.

Small steps towards your goal will get you there eventually, keep it up!

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

Great effort man, the 1 mile especially!

Running is so easy to measure, you can run a little longer/faster than last time and you know you´ve leveled up.

Small steps towards your goal will get you there eventually, keep it up!

Yup.  It's funny as a kid I use to only think about "I can't wait till i don't have to run" Now as an Adult I think "Man I really wish I could run"  haha  One step at a time.

Fantastic!  Especially keeping on going past the 1/2 mile!  Amazing how good being able to run feels.

Indeed.  I really didn't care for running all that much.  It has gotten better.  Now it is more about conquering things I didn't think were possible.  Something as little as running a mile, or a 5k I never thought I could do that.  Mayeb Once I am at that level running a 10k or a marathon won't seem so impossible.

Congrats, that's awesome! Keep rocking the C25K.

I am going to try.  I had given up on it a few times, but this is the time I stick with it to the end ;)

This accomplishment is hard to appreciate if you haven't been there yourself. I have and all I can say is congrats Tateman, great job!

I remember, being a smoker for 12 years, being out of breath after running 200 metres to catch a bus, heart pumping, the artery in my left shoulder/chest area throbbing and hurting, feeling like death. I remember trying to run for extended periods of time, not being able to focus on anything but my breath in order to not just fold and lay on the floor an then eventually, finally being able to _not think about breathing while running_...I feel you man. It gets only better from here.

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

Awesome! Keep running!

Will do! :)

This accomplishment is hard to appreciate if you haven't been there yourself. I have and all I can say is congrats Tateman, great job!

I remember, being a smoker for 12 years, being out of breath after running 200 metres to catch a bus, heart pumping, the artery in my left shoulder/chest area throbbing and hurting, feeling like death. I remember trying to run for extended periods of time, not being able to focus on anything but my breath in order to not just fold and lay on the floor an then eventually, finally being able to _not think about breathing while running_...I feel you man. It gets only better from here.

Yeah, I agree.  I think i appreciate it a lot more having not been able to do it in such a long time.

Way to go my friend, especially impressed you kept going for the extra lap. Keep levelling up!

I'm gonna keep on going :)  Continuing on with C25K this week so far.

This is awesome stuff. Keep calm, train on.

Posted using only my thumbs.

Yup, just keeping moving forward!