Forums are back in action! ×

Driving: One Life Goal Woot!

If you wonder how such an easy thing like driving can be a woot, I can explain. I was afraid of driving until now. 

I grew up in a country where a driving age was 18. What did I do when I was 18? I moved to a different country.

I learned how to drive and got my national license, but I never used them.

My conservative dad asked me to promise him not to borrow anyone's car. He never approves the idea of me driving anywhere without his sight. His reason? I will drive around, drink and drive, take girls out, play with women, and flunk school. He wants me to graduate first.

Where am I in school now? PhD. Still the same request. GRADUATE FIRST. Now, I don't want to rely on my bike until I'm 30. 

He never took me driving, but he keeps saying that I don't know well enough. I am going to crash in a foreign land. It's dangerous. It's scary. It's understandable, although, his boss's daughter was killed in a car accident before her wedding night. My dad, for some reason, is afraid that similar thing will happen to me.

So whenever I tried to practice driving, using the international license my mom got me after the last argument with my dad. All those worries he says became mine. I kept thinking... what if I crash? What if I kill someone? What if... I never saw my parents again, or never really love someone romantically? 

I spent a lot of money relearning driving. ($50 an hour-- for a grad student income, it's not easy.) But I could never drive alone. Every time, behind the wheel, I'd feel like I'd throw up. My heart raced, and I wanted to smash something. It took me a lot of breathing each time. I avoid it even if it was my life goal!! 

Until I had no choice. My research requires driving for data collection, and nobody could drive. So last Monday, I shut up about my fear of driving and volunteered my research team to drive them 150 mile from my college to Chicago, all around, and back.

Nobody knew how scared I was until they saw my face all screwed up behind the wheel, but it was too late. The paperwork was done, and there was no way out. I already peeled the bright red Ford Focus off the curb without releasing the parking break.

For all this long story, I just want to tell you that I took the team all over Chicago-- through highways and expressways and airports, and downtown during rush hours, did the research.we need, and delivered them home safely this afternoon (though a little traumatized.)

And my fear of driving was diminished.  .

I am very happy. Exhausted, mostly, but happy. I feel like a heavy mountain was lifted off my chest. It feels... normal to be able to drive.

So there shall be a woot.

Thank you for reading me rant.

PS. I don't blame my dad. He loves his sons, and he wants to protect me from harm even though we are 7,000 miles apart and even when I am practically older than my mother when she married him. I wonder if he has this kind of fear in his mind everyday after the daugther of his boss-best friend died-- that he might eventually kill his wife and his children any time he drives... If that is what he thinks, yet he still drive us around for a long time, my father is a very brave man.   

• Like 3

Congrats!

One thing you should know: If you're living somewhere for more than about 6 months, you usually need a local license (which may or may not require you to do some tests locally). The International license is just a translation for travelers.

• Like 1

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Congrats!  Facing a fear like that is tough.  Glad you were able to wrestle it to the ground and make it tap out.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Wow, congratulations! That is a really big accomplishment. Being thrown into the fire like that (or volunteering to throw yourself into it) sometimes is the best way to learn a new skill. Good for you for doing it!

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP