Forums are back in action! ×

Book on the Basics of Meditation

I can be a pretty tightly wound and intense dude and often find myself self medicating in different ways to deal with it. I'm pleasant most of the time, but I've got a short fuse. During that short window where the fuse is burning I'd like to be able to use techniques to stop the explosion.

Meditation has been suggested in passing and I would like to learn more. Does anyone have any books or other resources to recommend to a beginner?

Thanks

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs

The Little Book of Calm is alright for some vaguely fluffy soothing things you can carry about in your pocket. Not a meditation techniques book per se, and I can't use it with a straight face because of the first episode of Black Books, but it might help. 

Can't think of anything more practical right now, but you could also look through the huge range of guided meditations on Youtube and pick out your favourite techniques from there. Try one or two every morning or evening, and remember the thought processes that relax you (such as slowly walking along a leafy forest path, or imagining your body gradually sinking into warm water). 

• Like 1

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

Meditation: Advice to Beginners by Bokar Rinpoche is excellent, if you don't mind a heavy Buddhist slant on the text / reasons for meditating. If you don't believe in karma, rebirth, lack of self -- general Buddhist precepts, in other words -- you may find the introductory parts of the book boring, or the reasons given for meditating unmotivated. If you've found the motivation already, you can just skip those parts.

• Like 1