Forums are back in action! ×

Old Fat Man Gets a Wakeup Call

Greetings all,

I've been dieting (primal more or less) for about 6 months now and have lost 45 lbs. but still need to drop around 30 more. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure a few years ago and late last year started having liver problems because of my weight. When the doctor stated saying things like "lose weight or die!" it finally got my attention.

Now that I've got the weight under control and actually feel pretty good I took a look at my stick arms and decided I need to regain some sort of fitness. That's what led me to NF. My goal is to get to the normal range on the BMI chart to make my insurance company happy and lift all the things and be able to run fast to make me happy. I side quest is to keep my wife motivated during her own weight loss process.

Stats:
Male
52 Years old
5'8" tall
Currently 215 lbs. (down from a max of 258)
My educational background is in computer science, audio engineering and electronics but I don't have a degree and I consider myself a autodidact.
I own a video production equipment business where I design hardware & do some coding in addition to sales and tech support. It's a small business so I end up being a jack-of-all-trades.
My hobbies include ham radio, beekeeping, woodworking and reading.

I have been hitting the gym three times a week for the last couple of weeks. I'm already seeing strength and stamina improvements but I'm 52 and that's not making this any easier.

I'm gonna kill it anyway.

So you can call me Killer.

• Like 1

love your enthusiasm! i unfortunately go that talk from my doctor at age 25 "lose weight or die" but it sounds like your heading in the right direction, stick to the diet, stick to the gym. have you looked into doing one of the 6 week challenges? i just started one on sunday this week and i'm already down 7 pounds!.

Half-Orc Level 1

Ranger in Training

Progress:Down 116 pounds

Final Boss: Stubborn Belly Fat

Mission: Destroy All Fat Cells

Side Quest: Walking to Mordor

1779 miles x 5280 ft = 9,393,120 ft

avg distance/step 2.5ft

9,393,120/2.5= 3,757,248 steps to Mordor

Steps taken: 51,126 = 24.2 miles

First Challenge + WODs + Food Diary:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/50146-shaneshu87s-first-challenge/

I'll definitely be doing a 6 week challenge. I'll probably start  the Stronglift 5x5 as part of my challenge on the next official go-round. In the mean time I'll continue my 'prep' work to get to the point of actually squatting an empty bar. I tried it the other day at the Y and while I can do body weight squats like a champ, I totally humiliated myself right in front of the resident 'bro. It was pretty funny. I stepped into the squat rack and he just looked me up and down like I was some new species. I didn't make eye contact after I almost fell on my butt though. So now I'm doing chalice squats and practising back squats with a PVC pipe to get my balance.