Forums are back in action! ×

From Surviving to Thriving

Hi there! I've been lurking around for the last couple days and decided to join in the fun. You all inspire me with what you are doing!

I'm here because its been an unbelievable shitty year and I am exhausted. Physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually. I have been struggle with various brain cooties and trauma for several years, all of which have collided into a perfect storm this year. I graduated from university, got married, faced infertility, was unemployed for 7 months, totaled my car in a high speed rollover, moved cross-country from everyone that I love for my hubby's job and some other stuff. Some good things, but a lot of change that has left me exhausted and barely surviving day to day life. 

So what brought me here? I'm tired of merely surviving. I want to thrive again, to fight for the life I want.  To feel good about my life, find my hope again, to feel good about my body and soul. I'm currently 25, female, 6'1 and 200lbs, and have lost 20lbs in the last year.

I've been struggling with maintaining a healthy weight over the last couple years. I tend to overeat with emotional stress, but am happy that I've been able to lose 20lbs this year. One of the side effects of my meds that keep the brain cooties at bay is weight gain, so I have to be careful of what I eat. 

I've been slowly working at being more active this year. I love being in the outdoors, and am an avid paddler, skier, hiker and wilderness adventurer. I want to use getting stronger and fitter as a way of healing my body and mind, and continue to enjoying doing things with my body. I've made some decent progress with being gentle with myself in other areas of my life (I can be fairly self critical) and learning to the importance of self care. I would like to get back to the things I used to enjoy, try new sports, become more active and improve my fitness level.

My diet tends to oscillate between pretty good (fruits, vegs, protein) and binging on sugar. I'm slowly working on upping my protein, moving away from grains and dairy. For me, food will be my make or break in reaching my goals. 

I could really use a supportive community right now, and am looking forward to adventuring with all of you. I'll be hanging out and soaking it all up until the next challenge starts, and will hopefully have some more specific goals and a main quest by then.  

• Like 3

Level: 8   Race: Wood Elf   Class: Ranger at Heart -  Training with the Adventurers

Current Adventure: A New Hope

Past Challenges: 1st  âœ² 2nd âœ² 3rd ✲ 4th ✲ 5th âœ² 6th âœ² 7th  âœ² 8th âœ² 9th

“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams†- Eleventh Doctor

Welcome to the Rebellion!!!!  Congrats on the weight loss and changes you've made already!!!  This is definitely a great place to keep working on those changes gradually.

First off, NOTHING is required.  Na da.  You can hang out, read, swap tips and questions and learn from the mentors and fellow nerds.  

If you want more accountability, I do recommend the 6-week challenges.  During these challenges, you pick a few goals to work on that will help you improve your life.  6 weeks is usually enough time to let you decide if the new activities are helpful and work for you .... or not. And that's long enough to establish new habits that you can turn into a healthier lifestyle.

The current challenge started June 9th - I think the next one starts July 27th.  You'd start as a Level 1 Rebel (see the current challenge area at http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/362-level-1-rebels/) .... which is where you LEARN about all of the stats, guilds, rpg character, and so on as well as working at setting SMART goals.  You still get to adopt what works for you, and you can ignore the rest.  Some very successful NF people never bother with classes or stat points or race or so on.  They just hang out in the guild that suits their goals best.

Even MOAR accountability?  We have accountability groups of 7 or so people who check up on each other frequently during a challenge. And Player vs. Player "games" .... Plus lots of other, optional fun.

Let us know how we can help you achieve your goals.  Stop by my challenge thread or you can message me with the envelope icon at the upper right of the screen.

Good luck!!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)