Forums are back in action! ×

The Downsides of Fitness

Your metabolism may make you run hotter but, based purely on my own anecdotal experience, the insulating property of body fat cannot be ignored.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Looking like a tom-boy, no point in putting on jewelry anymore as I just have to take it off again for lifting. Also my hair is tight up every day now which doesn't

help the look...

Ah and on top of that the skin on my hands is rough as.... so all in all very attractive haha!

Tom boys are sexy! I could never be with a woman who wasn't willing to punch me in the face.

• Like 3

When I first started working out I was able to do jumping jacks just fine...now I have to stop and hike my damn shorts up because they keep falling down while I'm doing my jumping jacks.....and I do them in public too!! lol

• Like 1

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." - G.K. Chesterton 

Your metabolism may make you run hotter but, based purely on my own anecdotal experience, the insulating property of body fat cannot be ignored.

I've found that body fat level matters somewhat - but as pertains to the winter, whether one is in a surplus or a deficit is just as important.  If I'm in a deficit during the winter I get *COLD*.

Which is one of the reasons why I generally try to run a slight surplus during the winter.  If you're in a region with cold winters, the winter is an ideal time to try and put on a little muscle.

• Like 1

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I've found that body fat level matters somewhat - but as pertains to the winter, whether one is in a surplus or a deficit is just as important. If I'm in a deficit during the winter I get *COLD*.

Which is one of the reasons why I generally try to run a slight surplus during the winter. If you're in a region with cold winters, the winter is an ideal time to try and put on a little muscle.

I've never thought of that--the deficit aspect. What a good observation. I'll have to see how it works out this winter.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I've found that body fat level matters somewhat - but as pertains to the winter, whether one is in a surplus or a deficit is just as important.  If I'm in a deficit during the winter I get *COLD*.

Which is one of the reasons why I generally try to run a slight surplus during the winter.  If you're in a region with cold winters, the winter is an ideal time to try and put on a little muscle.

This is a major contributor to me as well, more so than 5-10 lb of fat. If I'm in a deficit, I get chilly much more easily.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Actually summer is the prime time for muscle building, we tend to peak testosterone lvls around mid august my trainer told me :D

Like a testosterone horoscope? Funny, because actually studies have shown the exact opposite, that testosterone levels are lowest during the months with the highest temperatures and the longest daylight, and peak during the colder months.

My boardies for work aren't fitting too well anymore and quick dry material doesn't stretch, can't go up a size the waist is too big, can't stay as they are getting too tight around the upper thigh area, can't get into ladies because I don't do pink or floral patterns. Went to several shops Friday looking for some new ones.............do I do The old lady swim skirt? NOOOOOOOO!

Wait! What............?

I have a couple... 

I am a nurse :) and many times people are like "let's get Jenn to help, she can handle it" when it's time to move the exceptionally heavy patients

all of the really good challenging hikes are getting further and further away because all the local ones are easy peasy now

food... OMG... so I live in a house with 4 teenagers... there are a total of 3 people in my house who are "training" (youngest boy does bodyweight stuff only... the oldest boy and myself are serious weightlifters) my grocery bill is insane :(

• Like 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Having a bad night at the boxing gym and coming into class the next day with either a plaster on your temple, a bit of swelling or a large bruise on your face and feeling the eyes of people following you as you walk to you seat. Then, taking a seat and actually seeing people looking at you.

Awwwwwwkward.

It's even more awkward when the lecturer walks over and asks whether you've been in a fight in front of the whole class. I don't like telling people that I box, either because they think I'm insane for voluntarily getting punched in the face or because they'll form misconceptions of me as a violent dumb-ass. 

• Like 1

SugarRay Lycan - Monk

Level 4 - STR : 5 | DEX : 8 | STA : 3 | CON : 5 | WIS : 8 | CHA : 1

Challenges: No. 1 - No.2 - No.3 - No.3: SugarRay's Comeback Match.

I'll jump on "my bust is shrinking" bandwagon.  Funny story, I stopped by my old boss's new job to drop off a gift for her, and she asked how much weight I've lost.  I told her, and she was like "Good job!  I knew your diet must be working, your boobs look a lot smaller."  >.<  Thanks, boss.

Also, since I started eating Paleo(ish), I'm spending waaaay more money on groceries than I ever did before.  Fruits and vegetables are so much more expensive than frozen pizzas and potato chips!  I don't regret my decision for an instant, because I feel amazing, but it's hard to budget properly on my very limited income.  I end up eating a lot of soups, stews, and stir-frys so that I can make my leftovers stretch.

Also, my newfound energy has led to a lot of annoyed "stop wiggling!" comments from friends and loved ones. :playful:

• Like 3

Dwarven Adventurer, level 0.

"We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment... and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly." (Flemeth, Dragon Age II)

Target Weight: 200lbs | Starting Weight: 262lbs | Current Weight: 253lbs

I'm all about that bass.

It was extremely cold in Illinois today. We were doing fund raiser outdoor, and I was wearing short sleeves because I woke up late and had no time to grab a jacket..

The girls just kept clenching my arms with their cold fingers. They said that my arms were warm and nice.

I mean-- I enjoyed the attention (not gonna lie there), but it was like being poked by many carrots straight from the fridge. And I was actually almost shaking out of cold while I held my core not to tremble, smiled and acted like nothing happened. 

• Like 1

• The cost of organic meat and produce.
• People thinking I'm crazy for using an improvised stand-up desk.
• My wife thinking I'm crazy for only wanting to eat and drink from glass containers.

• Having to bargain child-free time for the gym (I want some of that time for relaxing!).
• Friends and family constantly trying to score free exercise/eating plans.

• Not being able to do anything Saturday mornings (lest I miss Farmers Markets).
• The cost of supplements.

• Being a difficult dinner guest.

...I think that's it for now. It's all totally worth it though, and I probably wouldn't change any of it if I could... Well, maybe the cost of organic meat and produce... That stuff is 'spensive!

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler

I don't float anymore.

The first time I jumped in the pool after losing weight I just sunk straight to the bottom.

I was always underweight as a child. I'm naturally skinny, and I had very fussy eating habits. And I completely understand this - I could not swim. I simply didn't float. When I said as much to my teacher she pointed out a larger, chubbier classmate and said he could float fine and he was heavier than me. I knew that was wrong but I couldn't explain why at the time.

I still cannot swim, but one day I may try again. I'm not that skinny now, and I managed to beat the bicycle, so water will soon succumb to my will.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

I was always underweight as a child. I'm naturally skinny, and I had very fussy eating habits. And I completely understand this - I could not swim. I simply didn't float. When I said as much to my teacher she pointed out a larger, chubbier classmate and said he could float fine and he was heavier than me. I knew that was wrong but I couldn't explain why at the time.

I still cannot swim, but one day I may try again. I'm not that skinny now, and I managed to beat the bicycle, so water will soon succumb to my will.

I've always been overweight, maybe that's why I learned to swim so easily!  ...Man, now I'm worried that when I hit my target weight, I'll drown.

Dwarven Adventurer, level 0.

"We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment... and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly." (Flemeth, Dragon Age II)

Target Weight: 200lbs | Starting Weight: 262lbs | Current Weight: 253lbs

I'm all about that bass.

Well I don't float unless I'm wearing a 7mm neopreen divingsuit, but I can swim just fine. The real trick is using your lungs to float, because it'll give you a bit more volume. Basically you need to keep in mind and get used to not being able to float while breathing out and compensate for it. Although it would make learning to swim harder I suppose.

multiple showers a day is pain in the arse, and since I don't even own a blow dryer I pretty much exist in a constant state of wet hair.

time management is a big pain too. since I'm in graduate school I always feel like I'm slacking off whenever I skiv off writing for 2 hours to go for a long run. I actually feel GUILTY for working out! how twisted is that?

grocery bills are much higher when I can't just eat a pack of ramen noodles for dinner or a PBJ sandwich for lunch. at least eggs are still blissfully cheap. 

I really miss beer.