Forums are back in action! ×

Hoping to take advantage of a bad situation

I stumbled in on NF while looking for alternative and functional conditioning methods and tools (specifically sledgehammers and tires :livid: ).

I'm 30 years old, 5'10", and 216 lbs.  I would guess my body fat percentage to be around 25%.  I am an American paramedic, living and working in Saudi Arabia with my wife and 2 year old daughter.

I was diagnosed with adult ADHD, primarily inattentive subtype last year.  I went on medication (Concerta if you're curious) but did otherwise f*#k all about it.  Things have gotten better, but not enough.  Also around the same time, I saw a photo taken of me at the beach and was pretty disgusted by it so I decided to try to make a change and started running.  I noticed that exercise helped my ADHD, and I found a half marathon and started trying to train for it.  I ended up injuring my knee (nothing too serious, but couldn't run for a while).  After recovering I found weights and Crossfit and I love them both but I struggle for motivation, particularly when working a stint of night shifts.  It's super hot where I am right now and also stupidly humid, and that doesn't help either.

Fast forward to today:  My wife has decided (justifiably) that she's had enough of my ADHD and she isn't able to get the space she needs to work out some of her own issues with herself, so we are separating and she and my daughter are leaving Saudi Arabia permanently at the end of the month.  Disclaimer: I realize this made her sound somewhat mean and heartless, and she's anything but.  I still struggle for motivation to work out, but I'm hoping that I can use this situation as an impetus for change, both to get stronger and be generally more fit, and to find better help for my ADHD.

My number one goal is to form better habits.  Other short term goals are a 315 lb deadlift 5RM (currently 285), 225 lb bench 5RM (currently 195), and a 300 lb squat 5 RM (currently unknown).

I wish everyone the best of luck and success with their own goals.

-NSM

Night Medic

Level 0 Lycan

STR 0 - Dex 0 - STA 0 - CON 0 - Wis 0 - CHA 0

Better habits are great.  Working to get a healthier lifestyle is also great.

If you don't mind me prying, how long are you going to stay in Saudi Arabia?  Is it just an assignment, until retirement, or for the rest of your natural life?

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |