Forums are back in action! ×

tired mommy wanting more energy

Hi all,

I'm a member on the Women's Academy forum too but enjoying browsing these forums as well. I just joined a couple weeks ago, or rather my husband bought me a membership for my birthday. I am a mom to an almost-1-year-old baby boy. I am just now starting to feel "normal" again--that is, starting to get sleep regularly again, dedicate time to taking care of myself, etc. cool.png Fitness and nutrition had gone to the wayside this past year, especially in the first few months of motherhood, but I'm ready to re-build healthy habits and work on a regular fitness routine and get back in shape.

Before becoming a mother, my husband and I got into barefoot running which I loved. I had been a runner previously, long-distance, but had to quit after injuries. Since picking up barefoot running and doing shorter distances, I've managed to keep injuries at bay.

My husband has always been into weightlifting so a few months ago he sent me the NF article on Staci's transformation which inspired me to start Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. I've been at that semi-regularly weightlifting for a few months now but would like to kick it up a notch (or two, or three wink.png ) as well as get back into barefoot running, at least shorter distances (1-2 miles at a time).

I'm also interested in experimenting with different diets, particularly paleo. My goals are to clean up my diet and put on some muscle, and have more energy. My current deadlift hovers around 160 and I'd like to get to 225... simply because that'd mean two 45's on either side, and that would just feel really cool B) I also want to be able to do at least ONE unassisted pull-up.

~Laura

• Like 1

I just started Paleo last weekend.  So far it has been great.  Learning about all the veggies that I have missed in my diet over the last few years.  It sounds like you are off to a great start so far.  You are already way ahead of me.  I have yet to bite the bullet and join a gym.  Where I live the cheapest option is $108 a month!!!  I think it will take me some time to be able to convince me that the gym is worth it.

I think the biggest thing that I have learned is just to not give up on yourself.  There will be stumbling blocks in your road to transition but remember it is not about how many times you fall but about how many times you get back up and keep going forward. 

To quote one of the greats "But it ain’t about how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. . It’s How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done".  Rocky Balboa