Forums are back in action! ×

Hey everyone. Obviously I'm new to the forum, and I thought I'd share a little bit about myself. Growing up, I could eat whatever I wanted, sit around all the time, and not gain a pound. This was good, because the food my family served want really healthy: salt, fat, meat and cheese. Then around my sophomore year of high school I started putting on some weight. By my senior year I knew I needed to lose some weight and get fit. Throughout college my weight fluctuated, as I would go through waves of eating healthier and exercising a little bit. But my plans to get in shape never stuck.

Jump ahead to present day. I graduated last May, and I'm working a desk job. I'm 23yrs old, 5'6", and I've been hovering around 215lbs for awhile now. My big motivation for getting shape? My new baby girl. Me and my wife had our first child in november, and I want her to grow up with a better example than I did. My goal is to reach 180lbs by May 18th (our anniversary). To keep myself motivated, I've told my brother that if I don't lose the weight by then, I'll mow his lawn all summer (I HATE mowing the lawn).

What else? My plan. I can't decide if I want to be a ranger or a warrior, but i have some time to figure that out. I'm starting slow; a 10 min walk every morning, using the stairs at work, 5 pushes before I can play my video games. I'm also easing into a sudo-paleo diet, as well as I can afford. And that's my biggest dillema, money. I don't know if I can afford to go to the gym, and I don't know if I can afford my own set of Dumbbells. So I'm coming to the forum for support, and ideas on how to exercise on a budget. Sorry for the long post. I'm excited to be joining the rebellion!

• Dwarf Scout
  • Current Chanllenge: Scout
  • Past Challenges : Adventurer
  • "I'm not gonna quit. I'm gonna keep pushing forward, I'm gonna keep getting excited, and I'm never gonna quit. Ever." - ShayCarl, "This Is My Year" Music Video

Thanks! She a beautiful baby, if she is a bit of a handful haha.

I'm not tracking calories, cause I know it wouldn't work for me. I'd get discouraged with all the tediousness of it. But I am watching what I eat. I'm going pseudo-paleo: mostly paleo but occasionally allowing things like beans or dairy. I'm also watching my portions. I love cooking, so I'm looking forward to trying out a bunch of new paleo recipes.

• Like 1
  • Dwarf Scout
  • Current Chanllenge: Scout
  • Past Challenges : Adventurer
  • "I'm not gonna quit. I'm gonna keep pushing forward, I'm gonna keep getting excited, and I'm never gonna quit. Ever." - ShayCarl, "This Is My Year" Music Video

*parrots Ocelot* If you are unsure on whether you can afford gym or a dumbbell sets, bodyweight workouts are awesome (Assasin's guild, I think, does a lot of those).  I've been doing those mostly (no gym yet since I want to learn Krav Maga and no dumbbells either) and I really do see an improvement in my strength and fitness with them and oofff they are no check.  Beginners Body Weight Workout and the modifications would work for ya :nevreness:

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

Click on the link below then scroll down to "Free Workout Routines".  There are links to several good beginner workouts including the "Beginner Body Weight Routine"

http://www.nerdfitness.com/resources/

Level: 3

Guild: Assassin

Race: Air Sprite

STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 9 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - King Solomon

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge

+1 for the Beginner Body Weight Routine, it's awesome.

I've also worked on Convict Conditioning - it's a book by Paul Wade, a friend lent it to me but the basic principle is progressing through bodyweight moves, making them more challenging or adding more repetitions.

There is a forum here for discussing bodyweight training.

There is also lots of inspiration in the guild of Assassins, here, where many people work on their bodyweight skills!

My final word would be that I spent months working on being able to do pull ups and pistol squats and I have never looked back - they are both fantastic for building strength! Combined with other moves, especially various holds like planks and handstands, I think you can really reach a high level of conditioning from bodyweight training alone.

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!