Forums are back in action! ×

Well, let's see.  Started lifting in the early 1990s.  Quit lifting when I started farming 8 years later, 50 pound hay bales, 100 pound calves, pieces of ag machinery, seed bags, feed bags, etc., didn't need it.

Quit farming and moved to a small town a few years back, became soft, joined snap, my ex joined snap, I left.  Back at it seriously now at another club since November, machines a necessary evil at first since I have really bad scoliosis, on to free weights in December, and away we go.

Tweaking my workout, not sure I like my local club (a YMCA), wishing for better, and... supporting the rebellion

Working out regularly since November 2014.  Scoliosis with 100 degree curve in lower back reduces height from 6-4 to 6-1.  245 pounds

Working weights in pounds (7-10 reps)

Overhead press . 80

Bench press. . . 135

Squats . . . . . 185

Deadlift . . . . 295 (x5)

Lat pulldown . . 160

A fellow rebel with scoliosis!  That's awesome that you were able to move to free weights from machines!  I've started to add some free weight to my workouts (instead of just bodyweight) and man I will need to stretch a bit later! 

I hope you find a better club for you needs and we all welcome to NerdFitness!  :D

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

Thank you, Tezca.

I wore a brace for several years in my early teens and have never had surgery.  I was a borderline case by the standards of the day and was part of a study some years ago where they were trying to figure out at what point surgery is helpful.  I live with some back pain but then again so do many people without scoliosis.  With experience and the combined advice of some smart and knowledgable spine surgeons and physical therapists I've learned that I'm prone to s-i joint problems because of the scoliosis and the best thing to do to manage that is keep a strong core.  Trick is to exercise enough to strengthen the muscles but not so much as to exacerbate the symptoms.  It's a fine line.

Working out regularly since November 2014.  Scoliosis with 100 degree curve in lower back reduces height from 6-4 to 6-1.  245 pounds

Working weights in pounds (7-10 reps)

Overhead press . 80

Bench press. . . 135

Squats . . . . . 185

Deadlift . . . . 295 (x5)

Lat pulldown . . 160