Forums are back in action! ×

Who Else is That Person?

So ... I got home from exercise recently and a while later, I discovered that I'd been on Pinterest for two hours, pinning "fitness" and "gym humour" pins to a new board I made and posting pictures of the epic bruises from poor Parkour technique.  I forgot that exercise high makes me crazy.

I then realised that all of my Pinterest friends are the kind of people who complain about people filling up their news feeds with 'at the gym #sweetgainz' and fitspiration pictures ...

Who else does this?  Anybody else fail to resist the urge to become That Person in the friendship group?

• Like 1

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I think I may annoyed a few followers with my pins of workouts and amazing people doing stuff love to be able to do.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Pinterest spams me all the time - i get so many emails a day from that stupid site and i dont even use it. Good on you for spamming it back :tongue:

Twitter does that to me and I've never made an account with them (or did I?... note to self look into possibility of sleep tweeting).

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

The First Rule of Crossfit is that you ALWAYS Talk About Crossfit

One of my favorite jokes:

If a vegan started doing crossfit, which would he talk about first?

• Like 1

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

I try not to post fitness stuff on FB too much. I posted a picture of my sister and I after a 5k last year and at one point mentioned that I had lost weight. And now if I post something about how cold it is, I get comments like "#skinnypeopleproblems!"

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

The other struggle is not saying things to friends like "Damn, I'm so sore after that workout!" or "Aaaaargh, hit calorie limit but I'm hungry!!" because the first garners sympathy and the second they say things like "Make sure you're looking after yourself!  You shouldn't starve yourself!" and I'm like 'no, guys, I actually like this.  I'm just talking about it to humblebrag and also maybe to have someone make self-deprecating jokes with me.  You're not allowed to take my problems seriously in this area."

• Like 1

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I had to point out to my wife that a few of her friends are the "bitch behind your back" types of girls. And that her posting on facebook everyday "heading to the gym" or "just got back from the gym, so tired" sort of stuff is probably going to become the sort of thing that they snipe about when she isn't there. I certainly didn't care that she did it, and I personally think that people who care about her would either just skip over it, or like to hear about her efforts to improve herself. But she does have a rather sensitive self esteem, so I thought she might appreciate the heads up. And low and behold, she no longer posts gym stuff on facebook anymore. She's still super into it though.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

I was going to refute that, but seriously I've mentioned CrossFit in the last seven posts I've made. 

What have I become?! 

As long you're aren't scarifying goats to your CrossFit instructor and going on about it to everyone, you're fine.

• Like 1

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

"Scarifiying?"

"I was gonna go to Crossfit with a friend on mine, but I was so scarified, that I bailed on her!!!" - all goats everywhere

fixed it.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

So... scarifying goats isn't part of the WoD? 

Because I'm pretty sure today's WoD looked like this: 

• 30 burpees
  • 20 muscle ups
  • 10 goat scarifications 
  • Lay on the floor and wish your legs would work for 45 seconds

(Do this as many times as possible in 15 minutes)

(No goats were harmed in the process of today's WoD)

(.... I don't know about tomorrow's, though.)

It is funny, however, that goats got mentioned. I told one of my coworkers about Nerd Fitness and was trying to get him to join (he did not, but the seed has been planted in the office!) To make a long story short, we now have a running joke that I sacrifice goats on Thursdays to appease the fitness gods. 

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse

I try my best to keep it to myself unless asked repeatedly. Not so much for their benefit. More for my morale after they react negatively to the boasting of my dedication to self improvement. Our efforts are as insulting to their egos as intentional insults are to our efforts.

I identify with this a little bit too much.  I generally try not to talk about it, but sometimes I just blank and suddenly my friends are rolling their eyes and sighing good-naturedly at my obvious insanity.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

One of the other inescapable social laws of health and fitness: People who do not share your dedication will try to pull you down to their level.

I can't tell you how many times I've been chastised for skipping a happy hour, or heard something like "Why are you eating [that] instead of [this]? You're skinny, you can have one. It won't hurt you."

They don't like being told that the reason I'm in the shape I'm in is because I don't eat whatever they're offering.

Given my genetics and complete inability to moderate anything, the only reason I'm not greater than 300 pounds (like everyone else in my family) is rigid discipline. I'm still trying to get rid of the weight I gained when I relaxed my meal discipline to recover from an injury I got a year and a half ago.

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

I'm often surprised by the number of my friends that say "Oh, I could never do that, I'm too ____________________" when I talk about doing happy fun physical things. What's funny, though, is that I find myself doing the same thing and I've had to learn to catch myself and not do it. 

For instance, some of my friends have been doing the carb night diet. They eat >30g carbs a day, and once a week for an eight hour window they don't worry about the number of carbs they're eating. I'm a self-professed bread addict, so I thought about that as being almost impossible until I realized that they're doing this because they're dedicated to the idea of making a lifestyle change. I mean, you can't escape your fork. I figure if we can join forces and be an unstoppable force of lifestyle overhaul. 

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse

One of the other inescapable social laws of health and fitness: People who do not share your dedication will try to pull you down to their level.

I can't tell you how many times I've been chastised for skipping a happy hour, or heard something like "Why are you eating [that] instead of [this]? You're skinny, you can have one. It won't hurt you."

They don't like being told that the reason I'm in the shape I'm in is because I don't eat whatever they're offering.

Given my genetics and complete inability to moderate anything, the only reason I'm not greater than 300 pounds (like everyone else in my family) is rigid discipline. I'm still trying to get rid of the weight I gained when I relaxed my meal discipline to recover from an injury I got a year and a half ago.

The thing that gets me about that comment is that, a lot of times, I don't want whatever food it is that is being offered because I just plain old don't like it. For example, I don't like grocery store bakery cakes. I love me some made-from-scratch cake, don't get me wrong, but grocery store cakes just don't appeal to me at all. People just always assume that I am turning it down because I am "dieting" when in actuality I turn it down because their cake is gross (to me.)

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

The thing that gets me about that comment is that, a lot of times, I don't want whatever food it is that is being offered because I just plain old don't like it. For example, I don't like grocery store bakery cakes. I love me some made-from-scratch cake, don't get me wrong, but grocery store cakes just don't appeal to me at all. People just always assume that I am turning it down because I am "dieting" when in actuality I turn it down because their cake is gross (to me.)

I wish stuff like that was gross to me... Pretty much everything that is bad for me is exactly what I want every minute of every day... And I don't exactly have a lot of willpower...

Dwarf Warrior

I eat things sometimes because I don't want to offend people. It has actually completely ruined shrimp pasta for me; the mere mention of little boiled meat things over linguini noodles makes retch a little. 

I wish I was a pickier eater, though. One of my big goals was to overhaul how I eat because I am not a garbage disposal. I don't need every piece of organic matter that people didn't want to eat. 

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse