Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings all!

New recruit here. Been lurking for a bit (usually bashful about online communications), and finally convinced myself that I need to put down roots before I talk myself out of it.

I like the overarching mindset here at NF, and hope it's something I can fully embrace, both because of the cool community, and for my own wellness.

I'm a rpg-er of 15 some years, video gamer since I could hold a controller (seriously, playing Atari by 3). Been involved with boffer fighting like Belegarth at various points, and starting to get into SCA heavy combat. Knocked out a black belt in tae kwon do in high school, and moved onto Filipino martial arts after, been practicing that off and on for most of the last decade.

All that said, years of crappy eating and lacking exercise regimen have caught up with me, and I am in serious need of getting back on track. Family history of weight issues, and the fact that less-than-prime physique hinders several of my hobbies make it mandatory to get in shape.

I'm hoping to start knocking out challenges and truly make a lifestyle shift for the better, and hopefully achieve what I set out to do, each and every time, and really become who I want to be.

Looking forward to working with everyone!

Yay!  Another reenactor/swordsman!  Welcome to NF, I have been trying to get into better shape for boffer fighting myself, among other things.  Best of luck to you.  Remember, we are all here to help. 

Sir Thalianost, Level 9 Human Knight (Training as a Warrior)

STR - 24.6 | DEX - 4.1 | STA - 1.7 | CON - 15.4 | WIS - 3.2 | CHA - 4.1

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Hey mister!

you sound like you have some really awesome hobbies, I've never been to a boffer fighting thing but I would love to try it! You sound like you love what you do in all of your hobbies, so that is going to be a great motivator to go and do what you need to do. 

To sound like a Pinterest board, there are tons of really cool crockpot recipes that are quick, easy, and healthy. And cheap. And delicious. There is a crockpot beef and broccoli that I freaking love and would recommend. I think there is an article here about how little changes can eventually add up to big changes which make for awesome results. 

What are some of your little goals? Do you have a game plan yet?

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse

Not to be nosey, but was your avatar picture taken at Bristol?

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Yay!  Another reenactor/swordsman!  Welcome to NF, I have been trying to get into better shape for boffer fighting myself, among other things.  Best of luck to you.  Remember, we are all here to help. 

Thanks! Definitely finding at this point that fighting in a steel hat and wood shield tires me quickly, and bumps and bruises follow.

Hey mister!

you sound like you have some really awesome hobbies, I've never been to a boffer fighting thing but I would love to try it! You sound like you love what you do in all of your hobbies, so that is going to be a great motivator to go and do what you need to do. 

To sound like a Pinterest board, there are tons of really cool crockpot recipes that are quick, easy, and healthy. And cheap. And delicious. There is a crockpot beef and broccoli that I freaking love and would recommend. I think there is an article here about how little changes can eventually add up to big changes which make for awesome results. 

What are some of your little goals? Do you have a game plan yet?

Fighting is a blast! Belegarth quite a bit more laid back than SCA heavy in approach (plus foam weapons = less ouch), but still benefits from being in great shape and lots of practice. Not terribly expensive either, and even cheaper if you don't mind a bit of DIY.

Been meaning to start making crockpot meals... if I could only find it lol. Recent move makes mayhem. But I have been making jar salads for take along lunch, pumping myself full of fresh produce as of late.

I guess that my goals at this point are to eliminate processed foods as thoroughly as possible from my diet (part of an... unofficial 6 week challenge). That means more home cooked/prepared meals, and lots of fresh produce.  4 years vegetarian, but I am trying to decide if it's more pragmatic to pursue a paleo diet or jump into raw veganism.

Also want to get back to a healthy weight, dropping around 40 pounds, maybe more (again, shed 15 lbs, or lower fat% as part of the unpledged 6 week challenge). From there onward, assume I'll focus more on pure conditioning, be that strength, cardio, etc.

And I really want to get back into the swing of creating. Used to regularly engage in making things, art, craft, and still possess the urge to create. Suffer from a mean perfectionist streak, big dreams, and habitual procrastination. Suppose that makes for a life goal of "make something."

Really should just post a recruit's 6 week challenge :lol:

Any suggestions at the outset of me pursing a return to fighting form?

And certainly was! One of my favorite places.

Mine too, I try to get there at least once a season. 

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out