Forums are back in action! ×

Question for my fellow Veterans..if there are any here

Since we are all vets here I figured I would post this here. Yesterday we lost four of our brothers in a shooting in TN. May they feast and drink in Valhalla this day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/us/chattanooga-tennessee-shooting.html?_r=0

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Another bloody tragedy.  These boys shouldn't find themselves surviving war zones only to return home and be gunned down at a recruitment center of all places.

• Like 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Still in.

Military mode.  You know, where you want everyone to get their job done, on time, on target, +/- 3 seconds or....  It is different working with people who don't function in a similar manner.  It isn't purely a civilian military type of divide, but more of a "those who have done, and those who haven't" kind of thing.  I don't view it is so much a divide, as a difference in back story's between people.  The future is what counts.

PT for me was punishment, until it became a mandatory rigamarole to be endured.  Now it is still miserable, but I have my own goals, my own desires.  I don't feel anger when I PT, more annoyance.  This is a function I must perform to maintain standards.  That simple, performing a function to meet standards. 

My lane has been very cerebral, very sedentary, and very precise.  PT meant a whole lot of nothing.  Running multiple checklists in parallel after being awake for way to long while remembering everything was everything.  Never understood PT existed to build stamina to better operate in that environment, I just used caffeine. 

- Murphy's Roommate

Military mode.  You know, where you want everyone to get their job done, on time, on target, +/- 3 seconds or....  It is different working with people who don't function in a similar manner.  It isn't purely a civilian military type of divide, but more of a "those who have done, and those who haven't" kind of thing.  I don't view it is so much a divide, as a difference in back story's between people.  The future is what counts.

Yeah,  I run into this frustration a lot.  The special snowflakes want to be coddled at work and keep the things how they were going instead of evolving with the new leadership direction.  Stress is funny.  I like watching people freak out over stressing situations (and make fun of them)  (are we being shot at? no? then this is easy...) as they struggle with the task in hand.  Then help them if I like them.  

• Like 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Yeah,  I run into this frustration a lot.  The special snowflakes want to be coddled at work and keep the things how they were going instead of evolving with the new leadership direction.  Stress is funny.  I like watching people freak out over stressing situations (and make fun of them)  (are we being shot at? no? then this is easy...) as they struggle with the task in hand.  Then help them if I like them.  

I think stress management was the best asset I took away from my time in.  It's almost amusing watching the snowflakes you mentioned flounder about without a clue sometimes...

• Like 1

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

53827466.jpg

Is it bad that I have actually said this in the past 2 weeks.... (my experience in AFG is different than most I was in the North as a CTR I was denied a deployment that I volunteered to go on when I was on active duty)

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

53827466.jpg

Hell, I only left the FOB once - on the mail carrier helicopter - to go to one of our "safest" COPs - and spent the rest of my time bleary-eyed and furiously berating my POS laptop for dying on me 15 minutes before meetings (it was sentient, I swear. And it hated me.) Do that for approximately 14 hours a day or so for an entire year, and you discover what the gym is for pretty quick. I had it EASY. I'd do that again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Hell, I only left the FOB once - on the mail carrier helicopter - to go to one of our "safest" COPs - and spent the rest of my time bleary-eyed and furiously berating my POS laptop for dying on me 15 minutes before meetings (it was sentient, I swear. And it hated me.) Do that for approximately 14 hours a day or so for an entire year, and you discover what the gym is for pretty quick. I had it EASY. I'd do that again in a heartbeat.

I tried to get off the base as much as possible, There was a seal team, a Norwegian unit, a Swedish unit,  and a peppering of US units in the areas I focused on. I tried to get out to these areas to link up with my counter parts to do a face to face and foster a working relationship, but alas I was just a contractor and the unit wouldn't let me leave despite getting permission from my company to leave base. I hear you with the computer we had gennie issues and I had a desktop with no working ups on the entire camp. So whenever the power went out so too did everything I was working on... I spent two years dealing with it and found a love for the gym.

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

I tried to get off the base as much as possible, There was a seal team, a Norwegian unit, a Swedish unit,  and a peppering of US units in the areas I focused on. I tried to get out to these areas to link up with my counter parts to do a face to face and foster a working relationship, but alas I was just a contractor and the unit wouldn't let me leave despite getting permission from my company to leave base. I hear you with the computer we had gennie issues and I had a desktop with no working ups on the entire camp. So whenever the power went out so too did everything I was working on... I spent two years dealing with it and found a love for the gym.

Were there any of those magnificently beautiful Scandinavian military princesses that tend to pop up all over the web?

There were two WHOLE BASES of those countries (Norwegian and Swedish) and because they are conscripted yes, yes there were. I was also right next to the German base (5 min drive) and a bunch of us would go over there about twice a week and there were Germans, Swedes, Nords, Croats, Belgians, a few Denmark, Hungarians, and Latvia. 

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

That sounds like some awesome party potential.  Those bloody European troopies know how to have a good time!

I remember a particular Romanian medic who would walk to their showers in her pink Crocs. Ay, dios mio. She sat by me during breakfast one morning, so I shoveled my food and ran away.

Wait, was she that good or that bad?

That sounds like some awesome party potential.  Those bloody European troopies know how to have a good time!

Hell the Germans had a 3 beer limit every day, and the Nords had a 6 month deployment with 2 one month R&Rs in it. They know how to deploy! and everything on the European side was co-ed.

I remember a particular Romanian medic who would walk to their showers in her pink Crocs. Ay, dios mio. She sat by me during breakfast one morning, so I shoveled my food and ran away.

That sounds about what my response would be.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

There is something to be said for the sense of purpose and focus you can get from having a military mission to accomplish.  Priorities are pretty simple: Stay alive.  Accomplish mission. 

Especially for those that feed on stress. I've never been in combat, but ive had the stress of preparing the briefings that were provided prior to any large mission to prepare that group for to expect. knowing if something goes sideways and it could have been prevented is something I would have never wanted to live with. Bad intel can get people killed.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

When I was in BAF starting out on my second deployment...  I remember some French Ladies giggling as I did my back extensions and then making sure I "paid attention" when they worked in to do theirs...  

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

I can't get the quote feature to work, nor can I copy/paste, but HEY NOW.....I'm heavies.....(see pg 2 blk 4)

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Fun times, ahh how I miss the burning sand.....nope couldn't even type that with a strait face :D lol. Stay safe. 

I have seriously considered going over as a high paid contractor.  

Wheymen