Forums are back in action! ×

Of socks and science (or: How do you verify fitness claims?)

As I posted on Twitter earlier, I was going over peer-reviewed articles on compression socks this morning. I've had issues with tightness in my right calf during and after runs. I wanted to see if compression socks could help. 

Turns out they can, with muscle soreness and recovery. What I also found interesting, though, is this: Contrary with what a number of people have told me, no study I found said it had any impact on performance during a race. This was measured via blood tests, O2 use in the muscles, speed during the exercise, and even how high a participant could jump before and after.

So they're not useless, but a lot of what I've heard isn't backed up by science. And I've been surprised how often this is the case. My wife did research on various fad diets when she was doing her masters, and found the same thing: Lots of bad info out there.

So, how do you verify whether or not a particular claim is true? Anything in particular you've been surprised was actually true?

My answers:

I have access to a few databases, so I check peer-reviewed journals. I'm a true nerd, and married to a lady who has a doctorate in nursing, so she's a great resource, too.

I have trouble with arthritis in one of my shoulders. I did research on glucosamine, and was surprised at how well it could work.

What about you?

• Like 1

Oh, the glorious vetting process! I like that abstracts are often view-able even if you're not subscribed to the journal, and regularly browse the weekly research roundup provided by Mark's Daily Apple. I stumbled into some glucosamine-supporting evidence there and was surprised, too! 

Recently, my bf's Physical Therapist dad offered to tape my knees to help with my patella tracking  (I'm in a constant scrum with runner's knee). Research to support KT tape? Inconclusive, from what I could find. The PTs seem to be convinced it works, so I was surprised that I couldn't find independent supporting evidence. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

KT tape was one I looked into a while back, what I found said there was no evidence. Maybe I need to go back and look into it again :)

As for the PTs being convinced: I know a lot of nurses and cops who swear the full moon brings out the crazies. But check the research on that sometime :)

• Like 1

When I find an article that cites studies (and provide footnotes) I'll take it on it's word.  Bodybuilding.com and Runners World both seem to research extensively.  The January Runners World had an article on training trends that amounted to "Basically, we don't really know what actually works because different things work for different people."  It covered a handful of fads and how certain type of injuries and performance metrics had fallen off and others had risen based on which fad was being followed at any given time.

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

I just read a book on ultrarunning (longer tham marathon distance) which said exactly the same thing re: compression wear. It helps with recovery, there's no proof it helps during actual workout. (But there's no proof it doesn't, so wear it if you want.) I thought everyone knew that.

Of course, I'm regularly amazed by the degree to which most people are misled by advertising. Common sense, etc.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.