Forums are back in action! ×

Academy..yay or nay?

I am new to this site, but not new to working out. I love the forums and was looking for an honest opinion. If I am not someone who has no experience in this stuff, would the Academy at 99 dollars be worth it? Thanks Rebellion

Discantis the Bold, level 1 Celtic Warrior
                                                                                            STR 5|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 1
                                                                                     Current challenge, & 50/50 Squat Challenge of Br0din

​  My Epic Quest: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/83779

I'm in the academy! As Special Sunda says, It's definitely more for beginners or those needing an extra push. I really needed that extra push. I'm loving it, now that I've found all the quests, I'm going on every day, seeing what I haven't done yet, figuring out what I need to do to be able to achieve the quests I'm not yet capable of, seeing how much XP I can get for each one.. It's like a video game I don't actually suck at! I love it to pieces and would absolutely recommend it!

• Like 3

Level 9 Pixie

I may not be the strongest, the fastest, or the bravest. But I'll be damned if I'm not trying my hardest.
17 STR ¦ 17 STA ¦ 13 CON ¦ 17 WIS ¦ 13 CHA ¦ 12 DEX

Latest Challenge! , Battle Log! , CHARACTERYAY

I purchased the academy ages ago.  It covers all the basics that a beginner needs to know, but if you don't follow the information written there then it won't do much good. Because I purchased it then read everything but didn't DO any of it I'm pretty much in the same place I was two years ago when I bought it.  However, I have learnt one or two things that I plan to use this go round.  Instead of reading through everything at once I plan to focus on working through all the points made and actually applying them.  The subject areas include mindset, nutrition, fitness, workout plans, and other. Mindset is very similar to the posts made on the blog.  It is all about finding your motivation to stay on track. Nutrition naturally promotes the paleo lifestyle, but also covers things like how your body actually digest sugar, why paleo works, and has a set of week to two week long tasks to help you move to a mostly paleo lifestyle. Fitness covers the basics of the warm up, the cool down, creating an exercise plan that works for you and so on. Workouts includes three sets of workouts: one for body weight, one for barbells, and one for dumbbells. Each group of workouts has 5 to 7 levels to work through with each level increasing the difficulty. The other section is divided into two sections, one for men and one for women. When you register you put in your gender and are allowed access to the section that you set your gender as.  For women this is things like working out while expecting or while on that time of the month, or how the female and male body differ when it comes to some types of exercises and such.  Also, if you're on facebook you can be added to the male or female facebook group. The facebook group allows you to post and brag about achievements, ask questions, or complain about problems.  I'm not sure what subjects the male side of the academy covers, but I'm sure one of the guys could tell you.

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

Honestly, the extra quests are nice for your "class", and it really makes you think about what you want to achieve in your goals.

More than anything, I LOVE getting access to the FB group.  Those guys are so supportive, but more than anything, it feels nice to support other people as well.

Yeah, it's worth $99.  While other sites have a monthly payment, you only have to pay ONCE.  If not that, I'd also recommend getting Steve's book.  I suck at reading books, and I love it.  It's an easy read, with some kick-ass advice.

Level 4

Character Sheet | Current Challenge |

| Past Challenges | #1 | #2 | #3#4 |
Educate - Entertain - Inspire

I've been a member of the Academy for about 2 months and I love it. I'm going through it rather slowly, but I'm trying to really absorb and apply everything I learn instead of just flying through it marking off quests.

As others said, you get access to the members only group on Facebook for men or women, and while I can't speak for the men's group, the women's group is amazing.  Everyone is so incredibly supportive and it's a very active community.  One of my favorite things of the Academy.

In the Academy, Steve doesn't just tell you what to do, but he also tells you WHY, and explains it in a way that's easy to understand.  I found that learning how the different things that I put into my body works and affects me helped me a lot more in making decisions rather than just knowing this is bad and this is good. 

Plus there's plenty of recipes, work out videos, and lots of quests to complete to keep you going!

• Like 1

My goal was to finish Steve's book and then make a decision on the academy.  Tomorrow is pay-day, and so I'll be joining!  Read a few of the posts like this one, asking if it is worth it and all signs point to yes.

Looking forward to it!!

• Like 2

April Challenge::Introduction

Level 7 Ranger (28/500)::Epic Quest Character (under construction)

Topherdrew

Sam Wilson: "When do we start?"... Steve Rogers: "We just did." -- "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"

I joined the academy way back in the day and I love the tracking and quest advancement.  I have had a couple of personal hiccups along the way but you can uncomplete the quest when you fall behind and re adjust you xp total. I like that because it helps me keep track of myself.

I joined the academy, and to be honest, I'm not really doing much quest wise and stuff. 

but I really like the facebook group.

Sure, you could also spend that money on a nice dinner out, but it's not really *that* much money.

I like the feeling of having a backup plan that it gives me.

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

that's for the academy and nerdfitness yoga together I presume

---edit---

I presumed wrong.  It did indeed almost double in price.

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

I was debating joining the Academy. My wife and I decided to get NF Yoga and so far we love it. I actually came on the other day to sign up for Academy, but found that the cost had gone way up. My question is, is it still worth it now that the cost is like $179.

It was kind of a turn-off to me. $99 sounded reasonable, but I'm not so sure about $150+

On 18 May 2016 at 10:11 PM, inittowinit said:

Yeah, you would think that with such a big price jump there would be 1) more content included and/or 2) a warning beforehand. I may have missed it, but I don't think they sent out one of those "hey the price is about to jump!" emails.

They did in fact send out a "hey the price is about to jump!" Email.

it started something like "I'm bad at doing stuff when I can just out it off to later". I'm most likely wrong on that starting line but I did in fact read the email because I thought it was going to be a helpful piece on how to deal with procrastination. No, it was just saying don't procrastinate this because tomorrow equals price hike!

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

On 5/18/2016 at 8:41 AM, inittowinit said:

Yeah, you would think that with such a big price jump there would be 1) more content included and/or 2) a warning beforehand. I may have missed it, but I don't think they sent out one of those "hey the price is about to jump!" emails.

On 6/14/2016 at 6:56 PM, Juni0r83 said:

They did in fact send out a "hey the price is about to jump!" Email.

it started something like "I'm bad at doing stuff when I can just out it off to later". I'm most likely wrong on that starting line but I did in fact read the email because I thought it was going to be a helpful piece on how to deal with procrastination. No, it was just saying don't procrastinate this because tomorrow equals price hike!

^This

Actually there were two emails sent out talking about the price hike.  Possibly three, since there was an improptu email sent out justifying the cost in general after Steve read a comment that someone thought the $99-for-life price was too much to start with, before the price jump.  So yea.  Gave at least a week's warning and sent out emails.  We tend to forget that NF is a business that employs people.  Gotta make money somehow, and having premium content that people have to pay for is just solid business strategy.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School