Forums are back in action! ×

Nerd Fitness Origins: Crystal Jade

My qualifications as a Nerd go back to my childhood in the 1960's.  I was an avid fan of DC comic books and Speed Racer.  At the age of 12, I would wear a red scarf tied around my neck every day, everywhere I went, in spite of the teasing of my friends and cousin.  I fantasized about having adventures, and my name in my fantasies was Crystal Jade.

In order to be prepared, and with the aid of some books from the library, I started weight training with a bowling ball and did 10 yoga poses every day.  I grew strong and confident, until my family doctor told my parents I was too muscular and overweight for a girl of my age.  My parents put me on a strict diet, and I quit working out.  Looking back at pictures of myself in those days, I would give a lot to be in that shape again, but at the time I thought I was fat and unattractive.

When I started adult life, first college and then a desk job (programmer - Nerd!), I put Crystal Jade aside.  Over the course of 41 years, my weight went up to 250 pounds.  I often had to work 60 - 80 hour weeks, and was on 24/7 call.  Happiness seemed like a temporary distraction - then reality would snap me out of it.  By some miracle, I managed to hold off on having a nervous breakdown for all that time, but it finally came - and I'm glad, because it was the reality check I needed..  I had to reevaluate my priorities, and as a result I took early retirement, and found the confident core that had been long buried.  Crystal Jade rose from the ashes, resurrected.

Now I have time, and I want to get into excellent shape - I want to bicycle with my husband, who is an athlete and long distance cyclist, and have the strength and stamina to finally have those adventures.  I felt a bit lost and unsure of how to get started - I tend to jump in with both feet, often with disastrous results.  Then I read Level Up Your Life, and discovered Nerd Fitness.  NERD FITNESS!!!  What could be better for a lifelong nerd like me?   I'm 60 years old, but have never believed that my age is a limiting factor for anything.  So I am really looking forward to being part of the Rebellion! 

Nerds rule!

• Like 1

Welcome! Over in the Pub(off topic) we have a thread for those of us who are chronologically blessed ( older than the average nerd who hangs out here) come and meet some other older wiser nerds.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Welcome! Over in the Pub(off topic) we have a thread for those of us who are chronologically blessed ( older than the average nerd who hangs out here) come and meet some other older wiser nerds.

Thanks!  Good to talk with some original nerds - those of us who saw Star Wars Episode 4 in the theater when it first came out!

• Like 1