Forums are back in action! ×

I did it! I've been put off running (and jogging) SO MANY TIMES because of boredom, injury, pain, embarrassment, all of the above, etc.... But this time I actually went out and finally did the first day of the C25K programme and DIDN'T DIE!!!!! 

Apparently money can buy you happiness! Or at least, money can buy me a good pair of running shoes on Saturday as my reward for completing the first week! 

HERE I GO!!!!!!!

Sorry for being so shouty - this feels like a major life achievement for me right now... Probably because I've only just got home and I'm still full of endorphins/adrenaline/SUPERPOWERS!!!!! 

If anyone else has just started/is about to start a C25K programme - where can we compare notes? Victories? Etc?

LET'S DO THIS!

• Like 3

Stick a pin in this feeling. Take a picture and post it on the fridge, bookmark this post, and come back to it often. Taking up running is hard, and there will be days where it will beat you down, so you'll want to remember the good stuff it can do for you.

Stick with it; it's worth it!

• Like 2

Level 11 Brutish Scoutsassin (That's totally a thing, shut up)

Str: 30 Dex: 26 Sta: 27 Con: 11 Wis: 23 Cha: 18

NerdFitness Trials: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

Congrats! I didn't do the C25k so I don't really know about that but I started running around three months now and honestly if you keep at it, it will get soooo much better!

When I started I could only run around 2k. My advice is run slowly, if you get out of breath run even slower. Keep at it and eventually you find you can just keep going. Then you find that you can run faster, then further, then faster. It's honestly addictive. You'll find that you don't have to convince yourself to go running but that you have to tell yourself to have a day off!

On Monday I broke my PB for 10k by over four minutes and SMASHED the one hour barrier with a time of 59m 59s so I'm still getting those same endorphins/adrenaline/SUPERPOWERS!!!! and I can't imagine they'll stop for a good while!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Zappa said:

On Monday I broke my PB for 10k by over four minutes and SMASHED the one hour barrier with a time of 59m 59s so I'm still getting those same endorphins/adrenaline/SUPERPOWERS!!!! and I can't imagine they'll stop for a good while!

I'm really not sure if I'm more impressed at the idea of running for MORE THAN ONE HOUR or that you have run 10KM IN LESS THAN ONE HOUR... 
My current challenge is "going out and doing it again tomorrow" :D But it's good to know that there are more challenges in my nearish future!

• Like 1

Congrats!

Start a daily battle log where you can make a post for each session.

That way if you skip a day, everyone will know!  peer pressure for the win! :)

• Like 1

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

11 hours ago, ZoëShotFirst said:

I'm really not sure if I'm more impressed at the idea of running for MORE THAN ONE HOUR or that you have run 10KM IN LESS THAN ONE HOUR... 
My current challenge is "going out and doing it again tomorrow" :D But it's good to know that there are more challenges in my nearish future!

'going out and doing it again tomorrow' is the perfect mentality. I'd tried running a couple of times before and it just never stuck. I figured I was just genetically predisposed to suck at running. I mean I used to play a lot of team sports that involved running but it was in bursts rather than over a sustained period. The idea of running for the sake of running seemed bizarre and masochistic. 

Now I get excited by the idea of other people starting running YES! DO IT! ITS AMAZING!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, BimBamBooh said:

next step - forget all the programs and gps watches and just have fun! 

the program and gps watches help me running.

I want to "beat this session" or just (but that's more for walking than running in my case) add that extra couple of km.

I'll push myself further than I would have if I were "just running"

• Like 1

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Well, I went out and did it again (yesterday)! AND I started a daily battle log to keep myself accountable! 

Thanks for your support guys/gals - I'm fairly certain that part of the reason I went jogging again yesterday (30 minutes, 3.5km... hmmm... :D ) is because I knew you were on here. 

Re: the apps - I love trackers and things like that! (I used to collect apps instead of doing exercise) And I've even mapped out my "ideal" 5km route as motivation - it's one big circle (with no man's land in the middle) so there's no going back once I try it - it will be all the way around the loop or nothing! :D According to the app I have a mere 2 months left until I can try it out! My dad has recently completed the C25K programme, and now "just has fun" (although I'm pretty certain he is still tracking how far/fast he goes) so that's on my to do list too! 

I'm so excited to get my new trainers tomorrow as my reward for completing a whole week of three runs! And I'm actually looking forward to the running bit tomorrow too... :D

Thanks again everyone! It's really good to know that this can be done (and even enjoyed :P ) !

• Like 4

Way to go!! I've been through years of the same as you, putting it off out of fear, injury, embarrassment, blah blah blah.. but I'm now on my 5th week of my C25K! I don't feel any fitter in every day life but today I ran 3 sets of 6 minutes(after having a week off because I was on holiday) and I only got a little bit of a stitch! Before I started I couldn't even run 50 metres! I never would have imagined running could be so fun!

Level 9 Pixie

I may not be the strongest, the fastest, or the bravest. But I'll be damned if I'm not trying my hardest.
17 STR ¦ 17 STA ¦ 13 CON ¦ 17 WIS ¦ 13 CHA ¦ 12 DEX

Latest Challenge! , Battle Log! , CHARACTERYAY

9 hours ago, PixieKitten said:

Way to go!! I've been through years of the same as you, putting it off out of fear, injury, embarrassment, blah blah blah.. but I'm now on my 5th week of my C25K! I don't feel any fitter in every day life but today I ran 3 sets of 6 minutes(after having a week off because I was on holiday) and I only got a little bit of a stitch! Before I started I couldn't even run 50 metres! I never would have imagined running could be so fun!

it is the same for me.  I don't really feel any different but the first time I started I was dead after a minute of running.  I have vomitted after 3 minutes of running.  now though, I can run 7 minutes without stopping and the rest periods between running blocks are getting shorter.  I'm at about the same stage of learning to run as you are.  Week 6 of my local variant of c25k.

• Like 1