Forums are back in action! ×

Hello, new rebel here

I am 30 years old, not really overweight but due to being a couch potato since forever, I have the physical fitness of an 80-year-old. I have kept hearing and kept telling myself I should be more active and I had countless failed attempts. But now, I have came to a point in my life when I felt it is really time for a change.

I started it as always, browse the internet for information... Often I get stuck at this stage, but this time I found the Nerd Fitness blog and it got to me. According to the "Triforce of Winning method" I put together a list what really inspire me this time, what are the small and long-term goals I want to achive. I am not fit enough to go to organized fitness classes at a gym, so I stated at home. Currently my short term plans include 3x1 rope jumping every day and once-a week body-weight training and yoga. I have been doing it for over two week (though I took a few days break on holiday, but I am back on track), and I am looking forward to increase the amount in the following weeks. In addition, I am gradually decreasing sweets from my diet, or at least substituting candy bars with homemade cookies, and increasing home-cooked meals. 

However, support is a weak point for me. Of course, I enthusiastically told my close family that I am changing my lifestyle and trying out a new method this time, but they did not really reacted the way I hoped. Of course, I cannot blame them, they heard it already many times, but I always failed after a few weeks, and even during those few weeks I was miserable, hated every minute of it. I can feel though, it is different this time and I am going to prove them. So here I am, looking forward to be a part of this amazing, supportive community.

p.s. Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my native language.

• Like 3

For what it’s worth: It’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over. – F. Scott Fitzgerald

Current challenge, Previous challenges: 32, 1

Welcome! Well done putting together your inspirations and goals. I find it helpful to tweak them as life goes on, so don't feel like they are set in stone! I haven't set foot in a gym in years. I aim to eventually, but I'm right there with you -- I'm sticking to home and outdoor bodyweight workouts until I hit a certain level of fitness (and financial security!). As for support, it's always a bummer when family or close friends aren't as enthusiastic about something, but it's also something to take as a challenge; like you said, prove it to them, and in doing so, prove it to YOU. NF is definitely a world apart from other online fitness blogs and resources. This community is very supportive and it's so helpful knowing thousands of people have your back!

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums!

yoda-welcome-doormat-300x2501.jpg

• Like 1

The Lonely Wolf | Level 9 Worgen Ranger

Instagram | Daily Battle Log | NF Character | Current Challenge: Mad Wolf In A Blue Box

Geek Out- Star Wars. Star Trek. Doctor Who. Firefly. Lost In Space. WoW. Destiny. Legend of Zelda. Mario Kart 64. Dominion.

Fate whispered to the lonely wolf,

"you cannot withstand the storm."

The lonely wolf whispered back,

"I am the storm."

Thank you for your encouragement and welcoming words. And I would say good luck with achieving your goals, but we don't need luck, just a lot of willpower! :) 

• Like 1

For what it’s worth: It’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over. – F. Scott Fitzgerald

Welcome, Rebel!

If you are looking for accountability, start a challenge thread in the Challenge forums. If you don't want/aren't ready to pick a guild, start in the Rebels. And don't worry that the current challenge is underway - lots of first timers (like me!) start late.

Your current exercise plan and weaning yourself from sweets would make a perfect first challenge. Also, once you have a challenge up, you'll start getting regular views from others in the community, and can ask for and receive advice.

Good luck on your journey!

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

15 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Welcome, Rebel!

If you are looking for accountability, start a challenge thread in the Challenge forums. If you don't want/aren't ready to pick a guild, start in the Rebels. And don't worry that the current challenge is underway - lots of first timers (like me!) start late.

Your current exercise plan and weaning yourself from sweets would make a perfect first challenge. Also, once you have a challenge up, you'll start getting regular views from others in the community, and can ask for and receive advice.

Good luck on your journey!

Thank you! I was planning to start a challenge thread next moths. But probably you are right, why not jump in right now if I am already trying to stick to the new habits. 

Welcome!

Definitely talk to people in specific subforums, like nutrition, etc., to get some good ideas. People are generally really helpful. I've learned a lot about weightlifting and parkour and other stuff I never imagined I'd learn about! And don't worry about your English--we have people from all over here and can pretty much understand each other!

Thank you! 

So far, I have just mostly been reading the old threads, but I already gathered tons of information. NF is indeed a very helpful community.