Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Today I nailed 5x5 100kg squats (hell to the yes), I was about to take off the weight, but a friend who was in the gym doing different stuff came over and said he wanted to try it. I advised against it, a couple of times in fact, but he went ahead and got under the bar. He lowered it okay... it was all downhill from there, quite literally, he tilted to the right, the bar fell to the safeties, he fell to the floor. He went on to say that he had never done squats before.

• Like 6

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

^^I start with the empty bar.  Always.  First, get the range of motion.  Second, just in case I was stupid and forgot to fix the safeties.

Um.  Did he get up?

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Yeah, I pointed out to him that he'd done no leg exercises that day and shouldn't even attempt squats with any weight before warming up. Still, I have no idea what he thought would happen, and given how I've been building up to 100kg I would have been surprised to see him get one rep with it. He got up, and only died on the inside from shame :P

• Like 1

Conspiracy Theory: Elliptical Machines Lie

This has been a Public Service Announcement

and shit like this gives me trust issues and is the #1 reason I don't eat calories back.

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

"If you laugh before breakfast, you'll cry before supper."

It's a superstition that basically says that if you laugh before breakfast, something will happen during the day that will cause you to cry before supper. 

Basically, it's kind of a warning not to be too facetious/joyful/awesome that was come up with by somebody who was not a morning person.  ;)

SW (this time) -- 260 lbs
GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

Had a nightmare of a session the other night...

First thing...lifting for OHP, forget to move my head back and manage to crack the bottom of my jaw and teeth together...I'm lucky I didn't chip a tooth a I suppose!

Secondly, I was went from deadlifts to OHP, and it seemed that the right side of the weight was a bit lighter than the left...then I remembered, I'd taken a 2.5kg plate from the OHP bar for me deadlift bar and forgot to replace it...'Nice One Dickhead' were the words in my own mind,  with one arm fully out and the other stuck half way.  

No idea what other gym goers thought!

• Like 2

Plate mistakes happen to all of us from time to time, just the other day I was squatting with someone, I asked him to add 2 15kg plates to the side of the bar he was at but he only added one, I went to life the bar onto my shoulders and the lighter end swung in the air.

• Like 1

Plate mistakes happen to all of us from time to time, just the other day I was squatting with someone, I asked him to add 2 15kg plates to the side of the bar he was at but he only added one, I went to life the bar onto my shoulders and the lighter end swung in the air.

I actually remember thinking as I put it onto the deadlift bar:

'Do not forget to put this back'

I did this once as well but luckily in my case the other side only had 5kg less than the other. I have also done this while doing bicep curls and used a 2,5kg heavier dumbbell with my left arm and didn't notice the error until after the set.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of girly men.

I did deadlifts once with something like 45, 45, 35, 10, 5 on one side and 45, 45, 25, 10, 5 on the other.  I got through one set just fine, but my grip felt funny and it felt off balance.  After that, I was just dealing with issues keeping it together.  The girl working the hex bar next to me was cute.  Really.  Cute.

EDIT:  They ruin lives, don't they?

• Like 3

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

I did deadlifts once with something like 45, 45, 35, 10, 5 on one side and 45, 45, 25, 10, 5 on the other.  I got through one set just fine, but my grip felt funny and it felt off balance.  After that, I was just dealing with issues keeping it together.  The girl working the hex bar next to me was cute.  Really.  Cute.

EDIT:  They ruin lives, don't they?

Deadlifts. No. Unless you do them wrong.

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

I guess it's theme, Yesterday I was warming up DB shoulder press and I grabbed 40 and a 45.  Opps...

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

I trust only this one

http://draftmag.com/calories/

I had no idea there was such a range of calories in beers.  Now I feel the need to track down a calorie count for the one I'm having soon...

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

The people I never get are the ones who spend an hour or so in the gym and ALWAYS reward themselves with chocolate or something immediately after. I mean sure, if you really like chocolate, and you've worked really hard at the gym that WEEK, then reward yourself, I suppose. But by eating unhealthily as a reward every time I'm sure it undermines any progress quite a bit, especially if you're doing cardio, in which case the two probably just cancel each other out. Oh look I burned 250 calories today, better reward myself with a 250 calorie chocolate bar.

I get that plenty of people aren't overly concerned with getting their diet and exercise on point, but it seems to me that by doing that you're just spending an hour at the gym so that you can eat chocolate and not get any unhealthier.

I think the worse I've seen it is at swimming pools, where people get out, get dressed and go immediately to a vending machine. Of course, if the gym is decent then it probably shouldn't have vending machines filled with chocolate and crisps, but I'm sure that plenty do.

I had no idea there was such a range of calories in beers.  Now I feel the need to track down a calorie count for the one I'm having soon...

I'm not so sure...if I'm on the beer I kind of figure my next few decisions won't be the best thought through

BOOM!  Double Post!

The people I never get are the ones who spend an hour or so in the gym and ALWAYS reward themselves with chocolate or something immediately after. I mean sure, if you really like chocolate, and you've worked really hard at the gym that WEEK, then reward yourself, I suppose. But by eating unhealthily as a reward every time I'm sure it undermines any progress quite a bit, especially if you're doing cardio, in which case the two probably just cancel each other out. Oh look I burned 250 calories today, better reward myself with a 250 calorie chocolate bar.

I get that plenty of people aren't overly concerned with getting their diet and exercise on point, but it seems to me that by doing that you're just spending an hour at the gym so that you can eat chocolate and not get any unhealthier.

I think the worse I've seen it is at swimming pools, where people get out, get dressed and go immediately to a vending machine. Of course, if the gym is decent then it probably shouldn't have vending machines filled with chocolate and crisps, but I'm sure that plenty do.

Gotta make that extra cash somewhere!  

My local gym has a fridge full of that Vita-water crap, protein shakes and protein bars...

I'm not so sure...if I'm on the beer I kind of figure my next few decisions won't be the best thought through

I'm more of a scotch drinker myself, which is pretty constant on the calories and somehow has no macronutrients apparently, I imagine it's not too high on micronutrients either. I never know if the empty calories in spirits and such are better or worse than the carby calories in beers.

Gotta make that extra cash somewhere!  

My local gym has a fridge full of that Vita-water crap, protein shakes and protein bars...

If the bars and shakes are good then it's not such an issue, but I'm willing to bet they've gone for he ones that taste better rather than the ones that are better for you. There was a basketball match or something on at my gym today and they put one of those rollover hotdog stands in the spectator stands, which was clearly visible through the windows in front of the treadmills. Made me chuckle.

• Like 1