Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Hey! After a donut a beer is my favorite after run snack. 

But isn't that actually a thing?  I know I read it somewhere that a beer (singular) is a pretty decent post workout drink

• Like 1

The study that was done, and often referenced too is very questionable. http://adventuresportsjournal.com/blogs/beer-for-hydration/ 

My partner and I, who both run frequently and enjoy beers frequently wanted for it to be valid, but the engineer and scientist in both of us after reading knew it was bogus.

Damn you sir.  Why would you spread your disappointment to me???

The study that was done, and often referenced too is very questionable. http://adventuresportsjournal.com/blogs/beer-for-hydration/ 

My partner and I, who both run frequently and enjoy beers frequently wanted for it to be valid, but the engineer and scientist in both of us after reading knew it was bogus.

Reminds me of the signs I saw on boxes of Coke talking about soft drinks and hydration....

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Damn you sir.  Why would you spread your disappointment to me???

Meh, peform your own study of n=1.

• Like 4

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Oh I have, but the results always get screwed up when I crack that 2nd one...then the 3rd

Stop drinking Naty light and get yourself 1 good microbrew.  You'll be stronger for it.

• Like 5

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Stop drinking Natty light and get yourself 1 good microbrew.  You'll be stronger for it.

...the same day you become my favorite nerd is the same day you fall from grace.  Seems fitting.

And my budget beer is PBR pounders for the record.

• Like 4

Stop drinking Naty light and get yourself 1 good microbrew.  You'll be stronger for it.

...the same day you become my favorite nerd is the same day you fall from grace.  Seems fitting.

And my budget beer is PBR pounders for the record.

There is balance in the world, with that statement tyrsnbdr has just become my favorite nerd. 

• Like 4

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Woot!  I have a friend!!

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

There is balance in the world, with that statement tyrsnbdr has just become my favorite nerd. 

His fall from grace was due to him insinuating that I drink drink Natty light on a regular basis. I took severe umbrage to his comment lol

• Like 1

Oh I have, but the results always get screwed up when I crack that 2nd one...then the 3rd

Whelp, throw that data point out and extend the study.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Seriously

By sometime tomorrow, we'll all have you both on Ignore

Day is still early, I can still insult you.   :playful:    What do you hold sacred?  Wait... don't tell me, I'll figure it out on my own and make a joke that cuts you to the bone.

It's my superhero talent.  Now, get out of my squat rack, I need to do some curls and stare at myself in the mirror.   :D

• Like 2

Wheymen

good luck with that

Challenge accepted  :D

• Like 1

Wheymen

I workout at a Y in the States and i'm often impressed by the quality of both the girls and boys that are there. Certainly a much higher calibre of people to gawp* at that at my usual overly fancy London gym.

* 2 different reasons for gawping of course. One is perviness and the other is jealousy

judgement%252520free%252520zone_thumb%25

• Like 1

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Reminds me of the signs I saw on boxes of Coke talking about soft drinks and hydration....

And Froot Loops is part of this nutritious breakfast....

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

His fall from grace was due to him insinuating that I drink drink Natty light on a regular basis. I took severe umbrage to his comment lol

I take umbrage to you insinuating that Natty Light is bad!  I went to college in Warrensburg, Missouri.  The #1 consumer of Nat Light in the whole damn country.  Natty is the nectar of the gods!!  (ok, not really, but I couldn't pass this up)

===============================================================================================

Story time!!

I'm in the gym yesterday and I see one of the regulars.  Let's call him Fred.  Now, Fred is about 6'0" and about 230 pounds.  

Fred is in the Good Squat Rack, and he's actually doing squats!  "Ok, great!"

Fred has 315 pounds on the bar! "Awesome!!"

Fred's total ROM during his squats is about six inches, tops.  "Not awesome, but I won't judge.  Maybe he's got an injury."

Fred puts 40 more pounds on the bar.  "Cool!"

Fred asks his girlfriend to come spot him.  She's probably 5'5" and maybe 120 pounds, tops.  "This seems like a bad idea, but maybe they know something I don't.  No worries!"

Fred unracks the bar and begins his 1/4 reps.  Mid-rep, his girlfriend says, 'How do I spot you?'. Fred proceeds to try and teach her to spot him while he's squatting.  "Ok, now I'm really concerned. I hope they stop these shenanigans"

Thankfully, Fred got smart, racked the weight, took the extra 40 pounds off, and showed his girlfriend how to spot him.  Whew!  Ambulance averted! 

• Like 6

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

This wasn't in the gym, but was related to it.

I was laying in bed, playing on my phone for a few minutes before bed and I hear something along the lines of "I wanna talk" come from the living room.

"Oh god"...

"But it's positive"

My fiance has been doing a bodyweight exercise program for a few weeks now, and she seems to be enjoying it.

I ended up getting shown an article in a womens magazine on exercise, She pointed to the ones she wants to do (DL, Squat, Row), and combined with what she does now, she can move to the SL 5x5 program. Which is kind of a goal I've wanted her to reach for though not pushing her towards it. I think I was able to convince her that women won't look like men if they lift heavy, and that there seems to be a different set of rules for men and women when it comes to lifting.

It made me smile to think she might actually be into it. :-)

• Like 10

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

In the gym today, and there are people doing Olympic lifts I think. First things first, I get that heavy weight, when dropped, will make a very loud noise, and I get that there's often no way to prevent this. However, there is a very big difference between allowing the bar to drop to the floor, and throwing the weight down as hard as possible for no reason. Guy in the gym today, after every set, slams the bar with as much force as possible onto the ground. A couple of times it rolled off the platform and towards the platform I was doing heavy deadlifts on, making me, and the person doing squats on the rack by his platform, pretty nervous. I just decided to wait until he was done with his set before starting my own, wouldn't want a stray barbell hitting me in the back of the legs when I'm holding a figurative ton of weight.

Something I saw that was more weird than anything else. Someone had grabbed the pull-up bar at the top of the cable machine, placed their legs on top of it, and was doing inverse rows. I get that inverse rows are a fine exercise, but that seems to me the most impractical place to do them.

• Like 2

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

As I finished my run Monday [a day which had started with snow] I heard the chiming of a Mister Softee truck

I've been waiting.

My sister-in-law's pug hates Mr. Softee for some reason. Just playing the theme on your phone results in him charging to the window, barking and snarling.

500 / 330 / 625

As I finished my run Monday [a day which had started with snow] I heard the chiming of a Mister Softee truck

If you ask my mother, that was my favorite song for years as a child

EDIT: Just listened to it and definitely brought back memories of summers in NY. 

• Like 1

There are a few people at work who have English as a second, or even third language. I happened to over hear this conversation about working out, altough it wasn't actually IN the gym.

Employee 1- I'm having such a hard time being motivated to keep going. I'm too old to handle the muscle soreness.

Employee 2 (not native english)- If I have to kiss your ass to keep you going I will

Employee 1- Kick... if you have to kick my ass. Kissing my ass is an ENTIRELY different offer.

Employee 2- Which one would keep you working out?

Employee 1- Probably both. Come on, we've got spin class to get to.

• Like 13

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)