Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Ick. I loathe saxophone music.

You, are clearly a Communist.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Even the solo in "Baker Street"?

Yes.

The fifes in fife and drum music are pretty much the only woodwinds I like. My family did this stuff when I was a kid so I like it but all of the other woodwinds are too reedy and whispery for me.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Yes.

The fifes in fife and drum music are pretty much the only woodwinds I like. My family did this stuff when I was a kid so I like it but all of the other woodwinds are too reedy and whispery for me.

You are clearly unfamiliar with the soothing tones of a baritone sax.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

You are clearly unfamiliar with the soothing tones of a baritone sax.

I *might* be okay with baritone sax. I can't tell for sure because the other three saxes here are giving me a headache.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I *might* be okay with baritone sax. I can't tell for sure because the other three saxes here are giving me a headache.

My personal favorite is the alto. I played alto and tenor for several years. I would still, but I don't know where I'd fit time to play into my schedule or money for a decent sax into my budget.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

I don't think my run earns me a cupcake, but if I didn't "earn my food in the gym," I'd have to starve to death insufferable crankiness.

• Like 1

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

But, but, but... STEAK!

In my mind I heard that in Scooby-Doo's voice.

• Like 2

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

don't reward yourself with food ..... you are not a dog !

Woof!

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

In my mind I heard that in Scooby-Doo's voice.

Rut, rut, rut... ROOBY RACKS!

• Like 1

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

don't reward yourself with food ..... you are not a dog !

Unless there is a volunteer to reward me with sex, food is the next best thing.*

*for the humor impaired, this is a joke.  

• Like 7

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

Unless there is a volunteer to reward me with sex, food is the next best thing.*

*for the humor impaired, this is a joke.  

But that's why you are in the gym, so the volunteers multiple and you have to beat them off with a stick.

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

I'm really surprised there were no "WTF is a Mummer?" comments, we usualyl get those every time we mention them to outsiders.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

But that's why you are in the gym, so the volunteers multiple and you have to beat them off with a stick.

Which gym do you go to?  I need to go there.  I haven't run across a single volunteer yet, let alone multiples.  

I'm really surprised there were no "WTF is a Mummer?" comments, we usualyl get those every time we mention them to outsiders.

WTF is a mummer? 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Which gym do you go to?  I need to go there.  I haven't run across a single volunteer yet, let alone multiples.  

Its all about your style and attitude: sweet muscles, teased hair, lots of Axe and bro shirts.  Then when they are circled around you, you need to show indifference with "that's enough ladies, you've had your 5 minutes with Tyr."  and then back to your workout.  

you will never have to settle for food as a reward again.

• Like 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

I may, possibly, sorta call my pre-workout protein bars "Scooby Snacks" (or "Snickety Snacks").

Yesss, nailed it.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

Its all about your style and attitude: sweet muscles, teased hair, lots of Axe and bro shirts.  Then when they are circled around you, you need to show indifference with "that's enough ladies, you've had your 5 minutes with Tyr."  and then back to your workout.  

I apparently got a wife as my reward. She occasionally tells me that she only married me because she thought I was hot. I'm still trying to decide if this is a good thing...

• Like 5

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

At Muay Thai practice, here is the conversation about the instructor (about 30 yo) and a sophomore girl.

Girl: Hey, I saw a pic of you when you won the [Physics] gold medal [at 18]. You were really hot back then.

Instructor: Were?

Girl: I-- I mean. You looked so skinny and fit back then.

Instructor: Looked?

Girl: Uh--I mean-- at the time you were young, right? You looked your age, that's all.

Instructor: WERE YOUNG? (He was having so much fun) What do you mean? I'm still young!

The girl kind of ran away after that. :D

• Like 7

Clearly I'm doing this all wrong.  I don't give a damn what my muscles look like so long as the bar goes up, don't use hair gel or Axe (definitely not Axe), and I don't even know what a bro shirt is.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

tumblr_m5s6e7kvst1qk9t29o1_500.jpg

This?

Basically. The exposed nipple is bonus points.

• Like 2

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.