Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

If it was at the top of the chinup, I can understand doing partials. If it was the bottom 2".... I think most people would get more out of doing full negatives.

He did a couple of sets with the same tiny range of motion up, chin somewhere below the bar, it just looked very odd! Would think that full negatives or inverted rows would be more useful!

What's cooler than a curlbro...a curlbro with shades! Seriously..we're 200' from the nearest window!

wildross - warriors count tons, not reps

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Not overheard, but witnessed tonight. I saw a guy strap up to do rack pulls at 135 pounds. He was a total captain upperbody with forearms bigger than his calves. If you need straps for 135 pound rack pulls, you really need to work on your grip.

...I do sets of ten of 135 where my largest plates are 25# so kind of at a deficit and 135 was even above BW for a while. How can a guy, curl-bro or not, need straps to lift what has to be less than what he weighs when it's elevated?

I also warmed up with a rack pull of 205 this morning using double overhand and no straps. It was right on the line of being too heavy -- I didn't drop it, but I couldn't keep it up all that long. I switched to mixed grip for my work sets and did let go of the bar to reset my grip every so often, but still, no straps, and I could have gone heavier if I was doing fewer reps.

Straps for 135 what.

Though I have to say I do enjoy being a 5'2" woman and lifting as heavy or heavier than the curl-bro next to me, which can happen when he's doing something other than curls.

Though I have to say I do enjoy being a 5'2" woman and lifting as heavy or heavier than the curl-bro next to me, which can happen when he's doing something other than curls.

Awesome! I feel the same way when doing deadlifts. The curl-bros all have better bench presses than I do, but the few times when I see them deadlifting, I always feel much better about myself, as they are struggling to do singles at what I use for triples or sets of 5. Not that my deadlift is amazing or anything, it is just neglected by most people that go to gyms.

I remember a couple of years ago, I was pretty new to the gym (don't go now though, workout at home) and I said to the gym owner: "Hey man, I'm keen to build some leg strength and want to do some squats and dead-lifts, can you please show me the proper form?"

He said "Nah mate, you don't want to be doing those, they are terrible for you."

My Blog

My Book Reviews

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

saw a guy i've never seen before come in today, sorta endomorphic build (i know that's mostly bull but still) and make a beeline for the hack squat machine, didn't see him do the rep but he failed it with 20kg a side on, so he gets off wanders around a bit and pads his face down with the towel that's still round is neck from when he walked in he then goes back and takes one of the 20kg plates of and starts repping out with only one plate on the machine, unfortunately i was already on my way out so alas i missed the confuzled look he undoubtedly would of given once he discovered there were 2 places to hang plates on the machine

I've seen bad squat form before, but yesterday was the first time that the person I was watching literally dropped their head about an inch total over the course of the squat. He had 3 or 4 45 lb plates on a side. I was not impressed. He then proceeded to do a single deadlift that was dragged up only to his knees.

Then the next guy (who was all upper body) did shrugs with the same weight.

Speaking of terrible squats (how many terrible squats have we all seen now? too many):

This tiny gal, all sports bra and 6 pack came over the other squat rack, put the maxi pad on the bar, loaded it up with 115 lbs, stepped back with her feet 2-3 inches apart and proceeded to bend at the knees. WTH ARE YOU DOING?! She watched my squats with an interesting look. I think she thought we were doing the same thing... we were not. A few racks away, another woman proceeded to do smith machine squats... it hurt me. hurt me bad.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I've seen bad squat form before, but yesterday was the first time that the person I was watching literally dropped their head about an inch total over the course of the squat. He had 3 or 4 45 lb plates on a side. I was not impressed. He then proceeded to do a single deadlift that was dragged up only to his knees.

Then the next guy (who was all upper body) did shrugs with the same weight.

I've got a guy who does that with 495. feet about 1 foot apart.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Looks like there's a pillow or some kind of rubber thing under his shirt on the bounce. Is this a joke vid?

That's a belly. As the proud owner of one, I can confirm that when doing a bench gut-bounce, it looks just like that: in fact, that's a great bit of gut-bounce technique. It's surely a joke vid, in that it's not ever a sensible bench, but that's nice bearwork from the guy in it.

Today: self-confessed curlbro because he blew an ACL that's resistant to healing. He's using crutches, and damn, his triceps are sick.

That's a belly. As the proud owner of one, I can confirm that when doing a bench gut-bounce, it looks just like that: in fact, that's a great bit of gut-bounce technique. It's surely a joke vid, in that it's not ever a sensible bench, but that's nice bearwork from the guy in it.

I might need to rethink my forum avatar...

I wonder what the feet-together pixie was trying to do? There's hope for that one.

I'm not sure.. but she's friendly enough that I may be able to show her the light. :fingers crossed:

• Like 1

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Some guys were doing pullups in the gym today:

"Dude, you should bend your legs when you pullup, that way you weigh a couple of kg less and it's easier"

no not kipping, just pulling up with knees at 90 degrees instead of hanging relaxed.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tompko, level 1 Human Ranger

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 3|CON 4|WIS 3|CHA 2

[/TABLE]
*rofl* My husband says "What??.... *What*??"

Hah... if only weight loss was so easy. Maybe if I bend my arms at the elbow, I'll weigh 2kg less like that, too? Walk like an Egyptian! Lose 4kg total!

ROFL!!! Picturing the walk like an Egyptian dance made my morning!! I can't stop laughing!!

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

Saw a couple of guys today doing deadlifts with horrible form. They were doing what appeared to be sets until failure with about 70kg, by the 5th rep there was rounded backs all over the place, bar way in front of the legs. The bigger of the guys appeared to be training one of them, the trainee was complaining that his back hurt. *sigh*

Was tempted to go over and say something, but I thought I'd be more subtle so preceded to lift 140kg with decent form, maybe as a subtle hint that if you get the form right you can lift a lot more and not kill your back too!

I don't think it worked, when I turned round they'd started doing 1/4 squats in the smith machine with the chump pad and 60kg. Argh!

There was a group of guys in the squat rack next to me that were trying to help a girl do squats, but she kept falling backwards, so they put plates under her heels. So that she was leaning forward. On her toes.

Ironically enough, at the same time they were making fun of the guys using the smith machines.

LVL 1 Ranger (STR 4, DEX 2, STA 3, CON 2, WIS 4, CHA 0)

First Challenge. "Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Earlier today at the gym, three guys were talking while working out. It started off with a simple question, "If you could put a hole through the center of the earth and fell through, how long would it take to reach the other side?" (answer is, of course, ~42 minutes) and followed with a rather short description of physics and calculus to describe it, followed by another thought experiment involving a large vacuum tube, the Mona Lisa, a large gravity center and finally a willing test subject. Then the conversation moved onto hollow Earth theory (modified with a light source on the inside) and then to the Dyson spheres and shell theorem, and finally to the Kardeshev scale of a civilization's technological level and how to best gain the energy required for the civilization before going back to less involved topics.

Talk about nerd fitness...

Oh, and I was one of the three guys, but I wasn't the one that started the whole thing.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1