Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

That makes sense, then. If they're serious, it's a different story - maybe I'm a bit too quick to jump on the interpretation of "bodybuilder" as "curl bro". The guys at my gym who claim to be bodybuilders all seem to be loud, obnoxious curlbros to some degree.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

they don't run-  but they have to do cardo essentially- so yeah- there are three of them who actually use it quiet a bit as they get ready for their shows.

We have 3 serious ones.  And yes- they compete- the girl went to the Arnold Classic a month or two ago.  The younger kid is going to his show in May- SUPER excited I'm totally trying to go support him. 

That makes sense, then. If they're serious, it's a different story - maybe I'm a bit too quick to jump on the interpretation of "bodybuilder" as "curl bro". The guys at my gym who claim to be bodybuilders all seem to be loud, obnoxious curlbros to some degree.

yeah.... no... not so much- I know what serious body builders look like and what curl bro's look like.  Because we have a few of those too.

you can google him- but no no no- he's the real deal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/huguesbrunelle/4404379028/

I love working out in gyms where I don't speak the language - this is the third country in which I've done this - because I get to imagine what all the bros are talking about.  

Example: the other day when I was in my last set of deadlifts (almost at bodyweight for reps, huzzah!) I see to guys behind me in the mirror holding up a cell phone.  You know, in that awkward position that it's in to either a) take, or B) watch a picture/video?  I have no idea which they're doing, but as soon as I finish my set, the phone goes down.  

Was my @ss just being recorded by some brazilians?  A distinct possibility.  

You can't take the sky from me...
Level 4: Coyote Skin-Walker, Hunter, Ranger, Maker Of Dust
6'0" | white female | age: 25 | 42-35-42
CON: 7 | DEX: 8 | STR: 10 | STA: 8 | WIS: 10.5 | CHA: 7
Heaviest: 267.2 | Current: 206.1 | Final goal: 190

I want to call this guy a hipster, I really do.  He was wearing the uniform, but didn't have ironic glasses or facial hair.

I was finishing my squat cleans and high-bars, when this guy comes over and starts stretching in the power rack next to me.  Okay, no big deal; warming up is a thing, and maybe that's the way he does it.  I finish the "I need a power rack" portion of my workout and move on to Pendlay rows, and what do I see when I look over to check my back angle but this fellow doing yoga in the power rack, and singing freaking Jack Johnson songs while he was doing it.  So I get back to my workout, look over to check my back position for another set, and he's squatting.  Not a lot of weight, but deep and with a plate under his heels (that last part is a thing too I'm assuming).  Then he finishes his set, does yoga, and starts another one.

He never once stopped singing Jack "peace love and wheed" Johnson songs while he was doing all of this.

If you can make any sound other than rage sounds, you AREN'T WORKING HARD ENOUGH.  If you're singing Jack Johnson while doing yoga in a power rack...well, I don't know what that is.

@I-Jo

Whoa! Definitely legit and not curlbro. He looks awesome! 

@Avalon

Whoa - that'd be interesting. XD

I'm definitely never brave enough to take photos in the gym for fear of having a bar chucked at me or something. But I will watch some people out of the corner of my eye - or just blatantly, like in the case of this one guy who was doing amazing ATG squats. It was so cool to see his form on that. Also, I could be all ninja like 'cause I was "resting" between DL reps.

And congratz on almost BW! >w< That's so exciting!

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Not a lot of weight, but deep and with a plate under his heels (that last part is a thing too I'm assuming)

check my form video- you can see I do it there too- it's DEFINITELY a thing.  It really helps.  Flat footed- while I like- I just don't have the ankle things I need.  I'm working on it thought.  

But I agree- No Johnson singing- that's just unsat.

@I-Jo

Whoa! Definitely legit and not curlbro. He looks awesome! 

yeah- he's a little grumpy- he made me turn all sorts of embarrassed (that's SUPER hard to do) when I asked to see his legs- lol.  but he's cool- helping my buddy- show is May 25th- I"M SO EXCITED for him.  Can't wait to go support him.  (buddy- not jeff- he's got a thing in like TN- I can't go to that LOL)

"I only have one gym rule: Pee before deadlifts."

It's not bad advice -- but it is funny!  (And something I do, too, although I've never announced it to the whole gym.)

i always make sure to squeeze out as much as i can before entering the gym.  that way i prevent any sort of indicents.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

If you can make any sound other than rage sounds, you AREN'T WORKING HARD ENOUGH.  If you're singing Jack Johnson while doing yoga in a power rack...well, I don't know what that is.

This cracked me up!  I often listen to my friends' reggae/funk/hip-hop band while lifting, for me I tend to do better when my mind can relax and just let my body do the work.  So weed-inspired danceable music for worksets, and usually Bassnectar when I want to kick ass.  Not very rageful haha.  I certainly don't sing though :)

This cracked me up!  I often listen to my friends' reggae/funk/hip-hop band while lifting, for me I tend to do better when my mind can relax and just let my body do the work.  So weed-inspired danceable music for worksets, and usually Bassnectar when I want to kick ass.  Not very rageful haha.  I certainly don't sing though :)

Bassnectar and edIT = PR music for me.  But I don't sing.

If I'm going to do something particularly awful, I listen to opera--opera is my happy place.

But I don't sing.

Haha I could definitely see how that could be an issue!  

Sh*t Weightlifter girls say: "Hang on, I have to pee."

Seriously, me, every time.

I forget if I posted about this when it happened but I saw this dude at hte gym the other day and it reminded me (it's been a while).  Dude was next me, on his phone, making a drug deal/plans to go get high.

Hi, we can hear you.

I call him Pot Head Bro.  (who was talking about nicknames? I totes do that). Boyf has been coming with me on Saturdays lately so I get to show him my random people. This week he saw The Captain (homage to HIMYM--this guy has the angry eyes and happy smile. freaky), pervy trainer, Cool Old Guy, and the Wonder Twins.

Oh, and this is more seen at the gym.  My gym used to be awesome but has always been way crowded.  There's limited space for stretching or bodyweight activities (wall balls, box jumps, etc) but in the last few weeks they've added a vending machine with nonsense drinks and towels AND a filing cabinet for the trainers to that area (even though there are 2 offices and a huge front desk area). THEN they were trying to run a promotion and put a table in the middle of what little free space was left.  Yeah, that's the way to get people to bring their friends, take up little space remaining.... smart. 

Annoying desk guy caught me rolling my eyes and shaking my head. I'm not sorry.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

It must be drug week: I had a new group of skinny boys in tanktops discussing the epic gainz they'd get when they got some steroids "like the ones Ben Johnson was using" (and he mimed huge canteloupe delts as he said it).

If I wasn't doing a pressdown death set (damn you, Brandon Lilly) I'd have paused to laugh.

Huge canteloupe delts look a lot like a shoulder-Cthulhu.  :)

THEN they were trying to run a promotion and put a table in the middle of what little free space was left.  Yeah, that's the way to get people to bring their friends, take up little space remaining.... smart. 

perk of working at the gym- when they do that shit I fucking move it.

I hate when they put shit in my training area.  Fuck off- I know you want to get people to sign up but when you have to fight your table just to do a god damn burpee- it's a none starter.

yeah- I move that shit like it's my job.  

i think the guys walking around wearing tight pants are douches... then i realize i'm wearing spandex... :(

i think laura stopped by my gym once, didn't recognize me and muttered... there's "small package delivery guy"... :upset:

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

i think the guys walking around wearing tight pants are douches... then i realize i'm wearing spandex... :(

i think laura stopped by my gym once, didn't recognize me and muttered... there's "small package delivery guy"... :upset:

Ouch! Next time, bring a spare pair of socks or something. Then again, you don't want to give the other guys the wrong impression...

I feel left out by this thread. Since my workouts are all at home, the only other visitor to my "gym" is the cat, and she doesn't even lift.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/