Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Has anyone mentioned those guys who bounce while doing crunches on the stability ball?  Ridiculous.

However, they guy who was doing that on Sunday had an impressively strong physique and incredible vascularity.

| LVL1 | Human | Ranger/Monk | Neutral Good w/ chaotic tendencies|

| Male | 33 years | 5'7" |168 lbs | Right-handed |

| STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2 |

Progress Photos Album

Character attributes: Especially self-critical and self-condemning.  Possesses strong polymathic potential, but circumstances, time and the will toward achieving that potential remain in constant fluctuation. Indecisiveness leads to indecision and determination must be coupled with foreseeable goals. Emotional quotient and empathic ability is high.  However, with indifferent resignation, can be detached from people and places .   

Has anyone mentioned those guys who bounce while doing crunches on the stability ball?  Ridiculous.

However, they guy who was doing that on Sunday had an impressively strong physique and incredible vascularity.

it happens, people are either genetically lucky or do good stuff with the odd bit of retardation included

it happens, people are either genetically lucky or do good stuff with the odd bit of retardation included

Ha. I'm flipping through this thread from last page to first. This same guy had an awesome upper body, super slim waist that you knew must have housed some builder's magazine worthy abs... but then he had chicken legs. Genetically, I'm at least balanced, if not fit.

Anyway, I was busily jumping rope a couple of weeks ago at the small corporate gym in the building where I work. The space is small, so it's hard not to notice the people that are working out with you. I watched one guy put on 25 lb + 10 lb + 10 lb plates on either side of the ez curl bar. He completed his curls and then proceeded to take the weights off. He unloaded the entire right side completely and turned around to rack the weights... I watched the curl bar narrowly miss taking off his head as it fell to the floor as it swung the right side up toward his noggin. Apparently, he didn't even see it coming. He turns around and laughs, "Uh... that's never happened before." Apparently, no one has ever suggested to him he should take off the plates one side and one plate at a time. Sir Isaac Newton himself took a swing at this lughead and missed.

Progress Photos Album

Character attributes: Especially self-critical and self-condemning.  Possesses strong polymathic potential, but circumstances, time and the will toward achieving that potential remain in constant fluctuation. Indecisiveness leads to indecision and determination must be coupled with foreseeable goals. Emotional quotient and empathic ability is high.  However, with indifferent resignation, can be detached from people and places .   

"Uh... that's never happened before." Apparently, no one has ever suggested to him he should take off the plates one side and one plate at a time. Sir Isaac Newton himself took a swing at this lughead and missed.

reminds me of a story one of my friends told me about training at another mates house, all of us but the guy who's house he was at had trained in a regular gym with regular olympic bar, so when unloading the bar after benching he goes and pulls everything off one side (you can easily load 2 plates on one side of an olympic bar), short story short the other two that where there pretty much jumped on the skinny little 7kg bar as it nearly shot into the garage wall

Ha. I'm flipping through this thread from last page to first. This same guy had an awesome upper body, super slim waist that you knew must have housed some builder's magazine worthy abs... but then he had chicken legs. Genetically, I'm at least balanced, if not fit.

I was doing a one-off workout at a YMCA when I saw a guy who fit your description.  I was judgy even though looking at me I'm in no position to do so.  But then he started doing crazy gymnastics stuff like a raised L-sit (hands on kettlebells) then moving from that to handstand without feet touching the ground.  Dang it was impressive.  And gave reasoning for the twig legs - leverage and moment arms for insane gymnastics.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

one of my trainers does a forward backward thing- he does NOT look limber enough to do it- I'm mildly impressed when he does- he sets up two dumbbells and then does a push up between them- then kicks forward ({hands still on the DB) and does an L sit tricep dip... then kicks back to push up position. 

using 40's- so it's not like there is a retarded amount of clearance- and he's easily 6 foot and stacked as hell.  apparently he does yoga... god he's hot. 

that's the onyl thing that gets at me with gymnasts... frigging twig legs! squat people! (i know i know i know)

Depends on the gymnast. Ever seen the legs on someone who does floor exercises? 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

one of my trainers does a forward backward thing- he does NOT look limber enough to do it- I'm mildly impressed when he does- he sets up two dumbbells and then does a push up between them- then kicks forward ({hands still on the DB) and does an L sit tricep dip... then kicks back to push up position. 

using 40's- so it's not like there is a retarded amount of clearance- and he's easily 6 foot and stacked as hell.  apparently he does yoga... god he's hot. 

I wish you thought I was hot.  I think that'd be a milestone in any man's fitness endeavor.

Progress Photos Album

LOL  I'm happy to accommodate with the judging- but men don't like to be judged like that ;);)

unfortunately he's like a fucking lion- he preens with his mane- he knows he's hot shit.  it's annoying sometimes- going to get worse after he becomes a state trooper I suspect- but if I had abs like his- well I'd fucking preen like a mo-fo too!!!.    But I make it a point of not being wowed- or impressed.  I only look if he takes his shirt off LOL- and that's mostly out of "oh shit reactions"  can't be encouraging that kind of behavior!!!  

But yes- knowing a woman thinks your hot- it's definitely a "milestone"  I don't say that often about a lot of people.  it takes a pretty solid combo of things to qualify.  

Yeah.  I think my wife would like it if other women thought I was hot.  But hell, I wish she thought I was hot.

Progress Photos Album

What is this bro-phase I keep reading about?  And what are pec-tits?

This doesn't quite fit into the category of overhearing something said, but what about those people on the treadmill with cement in their shoes?  I mean... we all know you can't keep up at that speed.  Good thing we only have to listen to those guys and gals for about 3 or 4 minutes... tops.

Progress Photos Album

i had a phase of being a bench and curl bro when i started the gym... for about 2 years :( and pec tits are pecs that are only developed in the lower pectoral region... so they look a bit moobish, i don't flat bench now unless its the odd close grip or in the few weeks running up to one of the NF powerlifting meets, i do ring dips though so they might be keeping them there a bit (though i feel them more in my tri's)

The interface would have to be good enough to allow deadlifts, or no sale.  :)

As for one-side plates, I live in fear of that move, and keep working out the exact physics -- harder than it should be with a brain full of sparkles and gravity.  Experimentation in the squat and bench racks says two plates difference is fine.  I daren't go farther...

Today's "seen"?  Electric neon hot pink short-shorts.  I think they're designed to deter ogling by inflicting lens flare.  

" you don't know what it's like to be a girl at the gym .... you get gawked at...."

o_O

dafuk?

I guess apparently I'm a man. I was unaware of this.

You and me both! I figured I'd squatted my ovaries out or something. Grandma always said I'd make my womb drop with all this exercise...

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

As for one-side plates, I live in fear of that move, and keep working out the exact physics -- harder than it should be with a brain full of sparkles and gravity.  Experimentation in the squat and bench racks says two plates difference is fine.  I daren't go farther...

2 plates on one side with none on the other is the limit i stick with, if you've got one plate on one side then you can pretty much load the bar fully and it'll be fine...kinda

You and me both! I figured I'd squatted my ovaries out or something. Grandma always said I'd make my womb drop with all this exercise...

yeah- when I tell this story I pull my pants away and look down and go- DAMN I do an EXCELLENT job of tucking....  GO ME.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed in either bathroom so I pee in the bushes outside!

The interface would have to be good enough to allow deadlifts, or no sale.   :)

Today's "seen"?  Electric neon hot pink short-shorts.  I think they're designed to deter ogling by inflicting lens flare.  

I always want to have the exact equation as well.  The only reason I haven't done it is that I don't know the mass distribution of an olympic bar (how much in the bar, how much in the sleeves). If I had that, I'd have done it by now.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Target makes mesh ones now- that have this neon under short thing- they are fucking AWFUL.... and I actually saw a girl in the gym wearing them... she made my head hurt. 

Hmmm. Next experiment in booty shorts? I THINK SO! ;)

Just kidding. I'm not that vaginy.*

Ahahahahahahahahaha!

yeah- when I tell this story I pull my pants away and look down and go- DAMN I do an EXCELLENT job of tucking....  GO ME.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed in either bathroom so I pee in the bushes outside!

Tucking yeah! And pissing in bushes yeah!!! What an asinine comment though.

*Vaginas are tougher than balls. I'm going to start using vaginy in place of ballsy. Also tired of hearing people called "pussies" for being weak or scared. They should be called "ballsies" because what do balls do when they get scared? They shrink up. And things like "man up" and "nut up" are starting to get to me. 

Oh, I'm sorry. Is my radical feminist side showing again? My bad.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

" you don't know what it's like to be a girl at the gym .... you get gawked at...."

o_O

dafuk?

I guess apparently I'm a man. I was unaware of this.

All.the.time.  It's pretty irritating, really.  I AM NOT A FREAK SHOW! Stop watching me and do your own workouts, damnit. 

but I also live in the south where there are no rules of etiquette regarding staring at women. You have lady bits? You go anywhere and people will gawk. It's mind blowingly annoying.

Not really so much overheard as experienced...

So I thought the worst kind of person in the gym was the kind that didn't re-rack their weights. I was wrong. Today, dude watched while I stood on my tiptoes trying to get plates off the bar in the power rack that was set about a foot taller than I am. While he was swinging around 2.5 lbs to warm up for his (single set on the) bench. Which, no big deal, not his job to help me; I'm a big girl. Until I saw that he didn't re-rack his bench or his dumbbells before leaving, and I realized it was him not re-racking the weights in the power rack in the first place! Bastard. Just stood there watching me struggle with HIS damn mess.

I've been lucky that usually when this happens I'll ask who I suspect was last using it and he'll be all sheepish and come unrack it.  I don't need help unracking it, but it's polite, bro.

I was doing a one-off workout at a YMCA when I saw a guy who fit your description.  I was judgy even though looking at me I'm in no position to do so.  But then he started doing crazy gymnastics stuff like a raised L-sit (hands on kettlebells) then moving from that to handstand without feet touching the ground.  Dang it was impressive.  And gave reasoning for the twig legs - leverage and moment arms for insane gymnastics.

This reminds me! I saw this guy hanging out by the smith machine and I was like, "ohhh no." then he grabbed it like he was going to do pull ups and I was like, "ooh, mad props, bro" but then he proceeded to do crazy ass gymnastic stuff. Pulled himself up and got parallel to the floor.  He did a bunch of crazy shit all over my gym. It was awesome. I think he was just in town briefly b/c I've only seen him one other time. I miss his antics.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

This reminds me! I saw this guy hanging out by the smith machine and I was like, "ohhh no." then he grabbed it like he was going to do pull ups and I was like, "ooh, mad props, bro" but then he proceeded to do crazy ass gymnastic stuff. Pulled himself up and got parallel to the floor.  He did a bunch of crazy shit all over my gym. It was awesome. I think he was just in town briefly b/c I've only seen him one other time. I miss his antics.

Yeah living in Vegas you see this all the time. Damn you Cirque du Soleil. Can't a bro get a pump without seeing some distracting acrobatic shit in the mirror.