Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

So I witnessed some crazy shit at the gym the other morning.

WHAT?!  That is nuts.  I don't care who said what.  If you're throwing weights at another patron, you should lose your gym membership.

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

WHAT?!  That is nuts.  I don't care who said what.  If you're throwing weights at another patron, you should lose your gym membership.

Maybe I'm too zen about this, but yeah. I can't imagine this guy said something so horrible to her in 5 seconds that she felt the need to defend herself with an object. Throwing weights isn't cool at all. I asked the next day what was going on. I saw the regular in there Wednesday but I haven't seen The Happy Couple. 

Also, maybe I'm a terrible person, but some people are SUPER trashy. Just 'cause you watch people throw drinks around on the Jersey Shore without consequences doesn't mean, in real life, someone can't press charges for assault.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

So I witnessed some crazy shit at the gym the other morning. It involved a regular who honestly just goes about his workout, I never see him do anything crazy, but he is kind of a curlbro. And this couple, DudeBro and ChickGirl who are literally trying to complete osmosis they are so on top of each other. They'll get nose-to-nose and be all smiley and gross on each other. I'm honestly surprised she doesn't sit in his lap when they're doing inclined benches. Anyway, they go about their little routine and do all the weird things like half squats, feet on the bench during bench presses, etc. And they make sure to pause during their rests for some tender back rubs (barf).

The other morning, Regular is going about his workout and The Happy Couple are going about theirs. It was apparently upper body day so everyone was loitering around the dumbbells and benches. The Happy Couple were smooching on a bench, taking up space. I'm racking weights for squats. And I turn around after hearing some weights crash and ChickGirl is literally THROWING weights at Regular. They're getting into a confrontation, words are passed, what not. Then it's kind of over by the time the front desk guy comes up and checks it out. And then they get back into it and some trainers get involved. Apparently, Regular asked when they'd be done with the bench and ChickGirl FREAKED out. 

To be fair, I did tap the front desk guy on the shoulder and say, "look this couple is always in here, lovey-dovey, making out on the bench, and generally taking up space." They're really annoying and if I was trying to get a workout in and they were taking up a bench, I'd probably be pissed too like Regular was. At the same time, if someone said, "when are you going to be done" I'd try to work with them so we could both use the equipment instead of throwing weights.

O_O

• Like 1

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

Hey! HEY! HEY!!! Don't be trashing my Shore now!!!

Just remember ...

il_570xN.401391939_j55v.jpg

Damn, I wish I knew about this before I moved out of NJ. Now it's too late and I can never use it.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Hey! HEY! HEY!!! Don't be trashing my Shore now!!!

Just remember ...

il_570xN.401391939_j55v.jpg

Except Christie just had bypass surgery. He'd have trouble eating a whole smurf in one sitting.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

LOL well unfortunately I live here now- which means people assume I'm a "Jersey Girl" all the time- it's annoying as hell. But whatever- Jersey isn't nearly as offensive as I originally thought- but yeah- not so awesome to have people assume you are like people who are not even from this ridiculous state.

Like they make the Jersey rep about a million times worse than it already is.  Seriously- fuck those dumb ass people. 

Shortly after completeing a set of squats and deadlifts,

"hey man, if you wanna get strong you really gotta isolate the muscle, and just hit one group a day"

the rebel in me wanted to correct the guy with my bar...to his face.

the nerd in me felt like explaining why compound movements are better..

He didnt like my advice.

I was born a fool and haven't improved much since. - Lattie Tipton

Dwarven Ranger Level 1

STR:3 DEX:2 STA:3

CON:3 WIS:2 CHA:2

I have heard many misguided suggestions in all the years I have spent in the gym but the thing that shocked me the most was the following:

There was massive bodybuilder, I mean he was 6 foot 2 and about 275lbs at the time.  He was training for a national level competition and was as strong as an ox and twice as big.  I saw him doing seated rows with the full weight stack and a couple of 45 pound plates attached to it.  He put the wide handle on the clip, right below the stack and grabbed it then tried to step back to sit on the seat pad, fighting it like a lassoed steer.  He did his set, very strong and good form and then stood up and almost smashed his face into the rack trying to get the handle back near the rack.  He finished up his sets and then started doing pulldowns on the machine next to it when my training partner and I walked over and put a chain on the clip near the stack and then hooked the handle to the other clip on the end of the chain to do low rows.  This way, we put the handle just out of reach to get a full range of motion, like we always do, without having the fight the weight stack while getting into postion.  After he finished his pulldowns, he looks over at us and says, in the most enlightened voice, "you can put a chain on that?"

Going forward, each and every time we did low rows, my training partner or I would ask each other in a deep voice "you can put a chain on that?"  Moments like these are priceless!

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

I actually thought of this thread while this was happening yesterday. Background - our gym has 3 squat racks and 2 smith machines, so as long as it isn't crowded it's common to do quick circuits with other stuff nearby. I'm loading up a *thing* that I have no idea what it's called - it's like 3 sides of a cube with handles on top, so you can do tricep dips or inclined pushups, and then two bars that stick out on either side that you can load with weights to do a deadlift with a smaller range of motion. The device itself weighs about 50 pounds, and I'm grabbing weights off my squat bar to put on for deadlifts.

Man squatting next to me: I'm going to squat, am I going to be in your way?

Me: No, I'm good, thanks.

Man: Do you need help moving that? (points to box)

Me: No, thank you though (continue taking weights off of bar and putting them on the box)

Man: Are you sure? I can move it out of your way for you real fast.

Me: Really, that's ok.

Man: Are you sure? It's heavy

Me: Haha I know. And I'm going to keep making it even heavier before I move it.

Good news: chivalry is not dead.

I actually thought of this thread while this was happening yesterday. Background - our gym has 3 squat racks and 2 smith machines, so as long as it isn't crowded it's common to do quick circuits with other stuff nearby. I'm loading up a *thing* that I have no idea what it's called - it's like 3 sides of a cube with handles on top, so you can do tricep dips or inclined pushups, and then two bars that stick out on either side that you can load with weights to do a deadlift with a smaller range of motion. The device itself weighs about 50 pounds, and I'm grabbing weights off my squat bar to put on for deadlifts.

Man squatting next to me: I'm going to squat, am I going to be in your way?

Me: No, I'm good, thanks.

Man: Do you need help moving that? (points to box)

Me: No, thank you though (continue taking weights off of bar and putting them on the box)

Man: Are you sure? I can move it out of your way for you real fast.

Me: Really, that's ok.

Man: Are you sure? It's heavy

Me: Haha I know. And I'm going to keep making it even heavier before I move it.

Good news: chivalry is not dead.

Love it.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Saw a guy at the gym last night I've dubbed "One More Bro".    He actually lifts a decent amount of weight, but always for just one more.  He'll get a spotter and say he's doing 10 reps, get his 10 reps, but then grunt/yell "One more, one more!" and end up doing another 2 or 3 reps.  This happens for nearly every set.  Gotta admire the enthusiasm, although it seems like he's at the gym all the time.  Last night he was in his third hour and still there when I left.  I think he interrupts his workout to wander around and offer spots to random people.

Level 4 Amazon Warrior
STR: 16 | DEX: 5.75 | STA: 9.5 | CON: 9.25 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.5

FITOCRACY

The best activities for your health are pumping and humping. - Arnold

Quoth the raven "One rep more" - Edgar Allan Bro

One guy to another in the locker room, instructing him on how to properly put his dress socks on:

"Shimmy it on.  The sock is like a pole dancer.  There ya go."

This may be my favorite of all time.

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

what does that even mean? I've never seen a dancer do anything that looks like what I do when putting on my socks.

clearly you need to reevaluate how you put on socks then

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

And this whole thread is why triathletes race without socks.  Ain't nobody got time to shimmy in transition.  :D

Seen today was a tale of sorrow: one of our rowing club girls, dominating the Concept II, back and shoulder machines.  The pollen is too insane on the water, and she was (like myself) hiding in the HEPA-bubble that is the gym instead.