Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Lol. Back in college, we had names for everybody whose real names we didn't know--Longface, Chesty LaRue, Modem Man, Screeching Weasel, etc.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I believe that was based on a band shirt he seemed to wear on a regular basis.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

bad news they are closing my gym at work, now I'm going to have to get up early and hit the other one just to make the membership worth it

the only nickname I have is Gump, other than that my family nickname which has now turned into an alias; which I don't know how that works, but I use it for legal documents

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I have a couple of nicknames, which are still used to this day,

Bob, Bobbin, Missy and Mum. Pretty boring really.

In my family we have a people with two names which do not compute:

Arthur=Mick

Owen=Jack

Candice=Lills

Yvonne=Pom

Neil=Boof

Jason=Gar

Angus=Boogsie=Didi

More than half the town my partner grew up pin have nicknames, so if someone passes I miss it in the paper because I don't know their real names.

Wait! What............?

My cheeks are hurting.

I was working out before my gym closed for the summer. And I heard this big swear word in my own language.

"SUTTT!!!" (You animal!)

Now, it's quite mild, but he said it so loudly and with much gusto I had to turn and look.

I saw this dark skinned Asian (like me) at the weight bar, but I knew almost everyone from my country at this city. He's not from Thailand.

Turned out it was a part of the yoga breathing routine-- where you say 'Sutnam'. He just didn't finish his breath. (Peace in Hindi, Aquatic animal in Thai)

Funny how things translate across languages.

• Like 2

I was just reading an interview with a local well-known trainer, who offers this tidbit of wisdom:

[ Q ] How have you changed you approach to clients?

[ A ] Training has not changed that much except when I first started out everything was dumbbells and barbells, now there are more machines, I still believe in dumbbells and barbells but these should be used for elite athletes. If somebody is just trying to get fit and lose a bit of weight, then machines are great.

>:(

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

Not really so much as over hearing, but seeing it too.

Saw someone teach someone else how to deadlift incorrectly by putting the knees and lower back in terrible positioning when the person who was deadlifting already had it right. He seemed a bit bewildered about the whole situation and dead lifted the way that was showed to him. I reassured him that he was deadlifting properly when his "teacher" left, and he said that that guy likes to go around and "correct" form.

• Like 1

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

Some chick was talking about some workout she did where she was doing pushups and demonstrated a 10/0/4 tempo (eccentric/isometric/concentric), and said that's how you get stronger. "Like with everything, the slower you go, the stronger you get." Stud muffin, who was working out with her, drops some knowledge bombs with highly-technical terms. "Yup. Time under tension." he says. I had to leave.

Went to a new PT yesterday for my knee-injury. He said some things that made sense, but then "I think it´s good that you work out in the gym, but use the Smith machine instead of free weights, at least in the beginning". Ehh, no dude, I think I will continue doing it right with lower weights than wrong with higher weights in the machine…...

• Like 2

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

So my fiancée wanted to start doing a bit of strength training (hurrah) and previously we'd done squats, bench press and dumbbell rows.

So we go to the gym again today and after the warm up we start with the deadlift, it;s the first time she's tried it so we take it slow and work with just the bar, lifting from the power racj rather than the ground to get a feel for the movement.

I'll be honest, her starting form isn't perfect, she watched me and I tell her about foot position, bending from the waist and then the knees when dropping down and reversing when lifting and keeping the weight close to the body.

At this point the PT (who was with his client) pipes up to us 'with all due respect, you shouldn't have a rounded back, if you have that then all the discks in your spine will just go, pop, pop, pop, your back needs to be arched when lifting'

Which is fair enough, nothing wrong with a bit of advice, however, this was the second ever rep of a deadlift she was doing, he had no idea what she'd done before and he was doing squats with his client on a Smith Machine.

This totally took the wind out of the sails of my missus, we went and did the dumbbell overhead press, did some rows, both of which she aced and then went back to trying out deadlifts after he'd gone but the damage was done unfortunately...cue me now looking on the internet for correct form to see what the score is as my deadlift has actually improved an old back injury!

This has really annoyed me today, not for the advice, but the visible effect it had on my fiancée when she wanted to learn something new.

• Like 4

This has really annoyed me today, not for the advice, but the visible effect it had on my fiancée when she wanted to learn something new.

Can't blame you there!  Crappy situation all around. 

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Well I have my first real WTF moment in the gym yesterday. 

I usually do a 5 minute warmup on the treadmill, just to get my heart rate up.  The treadmills at my gym are in the same room with the meager amount of machines they have.  So I'm just warming up and I see this lady over in the corner doing single leg presses.......

......on the assisted pull-up machine.    /facepalm

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™