Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

How do you even do that?

I'm not sure I can even describe it.  She was standing with her left foot on the frame of the machine and grabbing the left side hand grips with both hands, while putting her right foot on the knee pad and pressing it down.  Looked really odd. 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Not exactly "overheard" and once again, it is another silly gym accident on my behalf. Not that bad but it could've been! 

I was about to do bench press and after doing some stretches, I started doing bench press with just the bar (a 20kg/44Ibs Olympic bar). After a few quick reps, I go to re-rack the bar above me. Well, the right side racked... but because I was very careless, I didn't re-rack the left side and essentially just dropped it. 

Never have I ever moved so Goddamn fast in my life to dodge the falling left side of the bar, which barely missed my head but grazed my shoulder slightly. 

Could have been a lot worse. I could have had a very sore face. 

• Like 8

Well I have my first real WTF moment in the gym yesterday. 

I usually do a 5 minute warmup on the treadmill, just to get my heart rate up.  The treadmills at my gym are in the same room with the meager amount of machines they have.  So I'm just warming up and I see this lady over in the corner doing single leg presses.......

......on the assisted pull-up machine.    /facepalm

Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon?  I seriously read this yesterday afternoon and then saw a girl doing it at my friend's gym not six hours later.  (Though this was a Gold's Gym, and the biggest one in town with plenty of leg machine options available.)

She looked extra dumb because the machine was kind of in the middle of the floor and she was towering over the rest of the gym.

• Like 1

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

STR 3 | DEX 1 STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 

First Challenge  (with awesome Before and After video)

Well I have my first real WTF moment in the gym yesterday. 

I usually do a 5 minute warmup on the treadmill, just to get my heart rate up.  The treadmills at my gym are in the same room with the meager amount of machines they have.  So I'm just warming up and I see this lady over in the corner doing single leg presses.......

......on the assisted pull-up machine.    /facepalm

pretty common - it's like doing a donkey kick with weight.  Pure glute target work.  And unless she's holding you up from doing you're work- what's she's doing isn't really all that important. 

How do you even do that?

Put foot on knee pad- press down. 

I'm not sure I can even describe it.  She was standing with her left foot on the frame of the machine and grabbing the left side hand grips with both hands, while putting her right foot on the knee pad and pressing it down.  Looked really odd. 

so does doing burpees- or rope things.  It's a tool. It's really not that weird if you ever watch fitness models work out- any fitness model's glute day- they do it. 

pretty common - it's like doing a donkey kick with weight.  Pure glute target work.  And unless she's holding you up from doing you're work- what's she's doing isn't really all that important. 

Yep.  It's so common I've never seen or heard of it, and all the trainers in the gym shared the same facepalm look that I had.  

If it works, more power to her, but there's plenty of ways to get that exercise in on a proper machine, or using the freeweights, instead of taking up a pull up machine someone else might want to use for pull ups. 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Yep. It's so common I've never seen or heard of it, and all the trainers in the gym shared the same facepalm look that I had.

If it works, more power to her, but there's plenty of ways to get that exercise in on a proper machine, or using the freeweights, instead of taking up a pull up machine someone else might want to use for pull ups.

Because you guys know everything about every workout exercise everywhere?

It's not that unusual. I have never seen anyone do it at my gym... But i know about it and I certainly wouldn't have Facepalm about it.

Trainers are notorious for being uneducated so I'm not particularly shocked about that either.

And like I said. As long as she isn't holding anyone up, it's a none issue. That's like complaining someone is benching in the power rack. It's not wrong really just different but not invalid.

Do I think it's a great idea? No. I'd rather deadlift and do other things... But it's not an a useless exercise. She probably saw a fitness model do it and is copying that.

Honestly if we didn't have an ankle cuff for cable leg work at our gym I'd jump on there to do that also.

Hits bottom glute/top hammy very specifically.

• Like 1

Double tap.

But... while I'm here

As someone who does weird things I guess I get frustrated with people who get snarky about shit they don't understand and feel it's beneath them just because they have never seen or heard of it.

Just because you aren't familiar with what's going on doesn't invalidated the exercise.

(especially annoying when you spend lots of time explaining workouts and programs to people who don't know anything and really just want to to me I'm wrong because they don't get my squat bench squat bench day)

Shit gets old and serves no purpose.

Double tap.

But... while I'm here

As someone who does weird things I guess I get frustrated with people who get snarky about shit they don't understand and feel it's beneath them just because they have never seen or heard of it.

Just because you aren't familiar with what's going on doesn't invalidated the exercise.

(especially annoying when you spend lots of time explaining workouts and programs to people who don't know anything and really just want to to me I'm wrong because they don't get my squat bench squat bench day)

Ok, since this is pretty clearly directed at me, maybe next time send it in a PM. 

Thanks. 

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Nah. I'm okay with it. If you make comments publicly then it is reasonable to assume it can be dealt with publicly. There was nothing personal about this. this thread can get judgey sometimes. It's a good reminder for everyone... Including me, that we don't always know what is going on with people or why they are doing things.

• Like 2

Nah. I'm okay with it. If you make comments publicly then it is reasonable to assume it can be dealt with publicly. There was nothing personal about this. this thread can get judgey sometimes. It's a good reminder for everyone... Including me, that we don't always know what is going on with people or why they are doing things.

You may be ok with it, but I am not.  By specifically calling me out, you made it personal.  For that reason, you should have the decency to keep it personal.  In the future, please consider someone's thoughts other than your own.  

And for what it's worth, I was going to post an apology to you and the lady in the gym, as I did some research and discovered a few people who advocate such an exercise.  Consider this my apology to her, wherever she is, but not you.

And just for reference, I also tried to PM this to you.  Either your mailbox is full, or it's been set to not receive PM's.  Thus it's posted here.  

Thank you.

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Double tap.

But... while I'm here

This actually became pretty commonplace with the advent of the whole "functional strength" craze. Everyone is now talking about squats, and making pages like "She squats" and "Do you even lift, bro?" I believe it spread with CrossFit, which is based upon ridiculing people who don't CrossFit. A lot of people have become kind of functional movement snobs who make fun of bodybuilders, and judge another person's self-worth by the depth in one's squat.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to call anyone out, as I am guilty of all of this, no matter how above it all I might believe myself to be.

Because you guys know everything about every workout exercise everywhere?

It's not that unusual. I have never seen anyone do it at my gym... But i know about it and I certainly wouldn't have Facepalm about it.

Trainers are notorious for being uneducated so I'm not particularly shocked about that either.

And like I said. As long as she isn't holding anyone up, it's a none issue. That's like complaining someone is benching in the power rack. It's not wrong really just different but not invalid.

Do I think it's a great idea? No. I'd rather deadlift and do other things... But it's not an a useless exercise. She probably saw a fitness model do it and is copying that.

Honestly if we didn't have an ankle cuff for cable leg work at our gym I'd jump on there to do that also.

Hits bottom glute/top hammy very specifically.

I had to bench in the power rack the other morning!

But only cos all the benches were taken and the other option was the smith machine

Now that I work out in hotel room/ my apartment, things I hear in my workouts are just voices in my head.

Voices like...

Chili cheese fries have potato... potatoes are plants... Chili cheese fries have vegetables... Deduction completed.

Those kind of things...

PS. Along the line of strange things in the gym, I saw a very strong, muscular person did what I call a spider push up. It's when you push up three times, and crawl forward in plank three steps. This continued viciously along the gym hallway. It was all the works-- panting, grunting, red faced.

I know it's a workout routine. Heck, if a strong person like him struggle, it meant it's a pretty rigorous one at that, but my first reaction seeing a grunting 250 lb of muscles spider-crawling toward me was that "there is a mutant in the gym-- quick, throw this 25 lb at him and run for the cover!!"

So glad my body and brain have slow connections, or else I'll end up deported. 

• Like 3

Double tap.

But... while I'm here

Thank you!!!  I sometimes feel a little bit self conscious when doing my physical therapy exercises in the gym, because some of them are kind of weird looking, and I've never actually witnessed anyone doing any of them in the gym.  I was a little worried that I'd open this thread and find someone talking about the weird exercise some woman was doing where she balanced on one leg on a wobble disk while throwing medicine balls into a wall and catching them.  Or that people would mock some of the weird bosu ball exercises I had to do.  Or the half ROM squats/curtsies.  If someone is doing something weird, you never know if that person is rehabbing an injury and is just following physical therapy protocols.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I had to bench in the power rack the other morning!

But only cos all the benches were taken and the other option was the smith machine

I do it frequently - almost once a week.

We have 3 flat benches- and I often have 

Squat

Bench

Squat

Bench

or 

DL

Bench

DL

If all benches are taken- I'm not waiting. Seriously- I can lift in the powercage- also- I do a LOT of sets- and sometimes- when it gets heavy- I am not asking a spotter to help me for 6 x 3 of 80-90% of  my 1 RPM.

You have my blessing.  And all those with T-Rex Arms.  

Not that my blessing means anything LMAO

Thank you!!!  I sometimes feel a little bit self conscious when doing my physical therapy exercises in the gym, because some of them are kind of weird looking, and I've never actually witnessed anyone doing any of them in the gym.  I was a little worried that I'd open this thread and find someone talking about the weird exercise some woman was doing where she balanced on one leg on a wobble disk while throwing medicine balls into a wall and catching them.  Or that people would mock some of the weird bosu ball exercises I had to do.  Or the half ROM squats/curtsies.  If someone is doing something weird, you never know if that person is rehabbing an injury and is just following physical therapy protocols.  

:nevreness:

You're welcome- I know- I do weird things- sometimes for PT- sometimes because I like weird things.  I'm not going to say I've never laughed or questioned something- but usually I follow it up with- well- what if they are rehabbing a shoulder injury- or have bad knees. You just. Never. Know.  

• Like 2

This actually became pretty commonplace with the advent of the whole "functional strength" craze. Everyone is now talking about squats, and making pages like "She squats" and "Do you even lift, bro?" I believe it spread with CrossFit, which is based upon ridiculing people who don't CrossFit. A lot of people have become kind of functional movement snobs who make fun of bodybuilders, and judge another person's self-worth by the depth in one's squat.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to call anyone out, as I am guilty of all of this, no matter how above it all I might believe myself to be.

I dunno, man. Body builders, power lifters, strong man competitors etc. have been doing squats and stuff for a long time now, way before the CrossFit craze. Look at Arnold Schwarznegger, there's heaps of old school photos of him smashing out some seriously heavy squats. I don't blame them either, squats are one of the best weight lifting exercises you can do in the gym, so long as you don't have any physical limitations that may prevent you from squatting. 

I think the whole "She squats" and "Do you even lift?" started with body building but in the youth of body building so to speak, people in late teens to early/mid twenties etc. I mean, Australian body builder Zyzz was a big influence on that one I reckon, in regards to the Internet mentality of lifting. 

As for CrossFit, I don't quite agree with its methods and to be honest I haven't tried it myself but I have seen it yield results in people who participate in CrossFit. Again I'm not gonna do it - but good on these people. At least they're doing something and they're getting something out of it, they're achieving something. 

I do agree with you, there is a sort of... arrogance about CrossFit. Note - I'm not saying ALL CrossFitter's are arrogant, no, only a small handful. That being said, you'll find people like this in any sport and activity, you've got body builders who make fun of CrossFitters and power lifters, you've got power lifters who make fun of CrossFitters and body builders, etc. These kind of people are everywhere, regardless of the sport/activity they participate in. 

But going back to squats quickly... personally when I squat, I try to squat as low as I can which is quite low. One time I had to train at a gym that I don't normally go to (I had to go to a different gym on my lunch break at work, because I couldn't go after work as I normally do). I was doings squats and this fella was just looking at me the entire time. Afterwards he approached me and I asked him "Is everything okay?", and he asks me, "Do you do CrossFit?" I said "No sorry, why do you ask?" and he answered "Because you squat really low, only CrossFitters do that." I kinda just laughed and said that I do judo, so the low squats benefit the judo. We had a bit of a chat and he left me resume my work. 

It was kinda flattering but at the same time, kind of strange? 

• Like 3

I don't get the internet's fascination with Zyzz. No offense, but the dude died of organ failure in his early twenties amid allegations of substance abuse, yet if you look on Bodyspace people treat him like the patron saint of bicepticons. I'm not saying the guy wasn't influential in niche fitness communities, but he has kind of a James Dean/Marilyn Monroe thing going on.

Somebody is probably going to get upset, that's not my intent. I just think the whole "die young and leave a beautiful corpse" phenomenon is at play in his posthumous fame.

As it's International Chest Day I thought I'd share this:

Watched a bloke doing his chest exercises today, using heavy dumbbells, grunting and dropping them on the floor as loud as possible, which is all cool, but do you know what's not cool?  

Trying to keep going when your form has totally degenerated, that's not cool!

Also, some bloke, in a blatant contravention of International Chest Day was in the gym doing OHP's, Deadlifts, pull ups and hanging knee raises!  

(That guy was me, I felt properly rebellious!)

• Like 7