Forums are back in action! ×

The ARGH Thread

Argh! of the day: I jammed my thumb during softball practice yesterday. It still hurts and I am sad because it may affect my weight training :(

Luckily yesterday was also gym day so I have all day to rest this guy before I attempt to lift anything....

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I ate many grain-based things on Saturday and drank much beer. I was fine until about 3 o'clock on Sunday, then my stomach started to hurt (argh!). My alarm clock is probably running low on batteries because when I was about to step out the door this morning, I finally realized it was an hour earlier than I should be stepping out the door (argh!). And NOW, I feel like my heart is stutter-stepping (argh!)... it's not completely unusual for me, but it's annoying. It's going to be a looooong Monday.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

ARGH. ARGH. ARGH. I have SO MUCH ARGH.

The saga of ZenGwen's GRE...

I am trying to take all the grad school tests, because this is how my family functions. But I live in the UK, so it's a bit difficult to get the American ones. Luckily I live in the capital of Scotland and there is a Prometric testing center here, and they do all this stuff.

Jan 26: Schedule exam for March 21st in Edinburgh, Scotland. Receive email confirmation. Book time off work. No problem.

March 9: Receive email notification that my test center is being relocated, my test was scheduled to be during the move, so they have rescheduled it to April 10. I am going to be flying to America early on April 11, so this seems like a bad plan. Attempt to reschedule via site, but they want to charge me $50. Try by phone, but no one picks up, because once I've gotten the email it is past biz hours on a Friday. Send complaint through the website. Hear nothing.

March 12, Morning: Succeed in rescheduling my exam over the phone for no charge, to March 26th. To take my American test, in Scotland, I call a company in the Netherlands, and listen to a French crooner while I'm on hold. Marvel at the international society I live in. Receive confirmation email.

March 12, Evening: Receive another email apologizing for the test center's relocation, and informing me my test is on April 10th. Call the Netherlands again. Am assured everything is fine and I should ignore the email.

March 13: Realize I have been an idiot and rescheduled the exam to a day I need to be in court. Call the Netherlands, apologize profusely, have it rescheduled to the 27th, again without charge. Receive confirmation email. Don't read it closely enough. Change my vacation day to the 27th.

March 14, Morning: Receive another confirmation email, and this time see that for some reason, the address is in Texas. Is this maybe the address of their Head Office? Look again at the first confirmation email I got. No, it's not their head office, it's a testing center in Edinburg, Texas, rather than Edinburgh, Scotland. Call the Netherlands again. Resist the urge to yell. Explain my problem to a very sympathetic lady who changes my exam to the 28th, in the correct country, and stays on the line until I receive my confirmation email, so I can check that everything is fine. Everything is fine. I feel better. I feel bad about calling the Netherlands from work so much.

March 15, Evening: Get an email response from the website complaint I sent in about a week ago, basically saying "What are you talking about, your exam is already rescheduled to March 27th, in Texas". Call the Netherlands again. Am assured, once again, that everything is fine, my exam is on the 28th in the correct coutnry, ignore the email.

March 19: Take delivery of another GRE study book, as I've worked my way through my first one. Get a call from an actual person, at work. The testing center now has a technical fault and my test is cancelled. They do not know when it will be fixed. They can not notify me when it is fixed. They offer to schedule my test to be taken in the next few days in Manchester or London, both of which are much too far away for me to go to. They discourage me from getting a refund, as this will take them up to 15 working days to process, and by then the test may be available again. They schedule me in for a test on May 29th, in Manchester, and tell me to check the Prometric website every few days to see if I can schedule Edinburgh again. They promise me they will do this for free.

I hang up the phone, hit myself in the forehead with my new textbook a few times, yell I AM GOING TO KILL THESE GUYS while Chatty Sales Guy is on a call right behind me, rant at my co-workers, knit for a few minutes, have a bar of chocolate, then come here. I am calm.

Fuck you, Prometric.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

@ZenGwen - I'm glad you've got your zen back, but your GRE saga sounds much more like an epic ordeal. That really sucks. So what do you think helped most - brain damage with the textbook, yelling, or chocolate? I need to keep those feel-better tidbits in mind for the future...

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

My Argh for the day:

Looks like I need to lay off the squats for a bit. I injured my knee about a little over a month ago playing in a volleyball league. Went down for a dig, and even with the knee pads on (indoor vball), hit it pretty hard. Immediatly went on a snowboarding trip 2 days later (for 3 days), came back home just in time to go on another snowboarding trip for a few days, then started SL that next week. Basically, it has never had any time to rest since I injured it. I have an idea of what is wrong (yes, with a bit of ole fashion internet diagnosing), and looks like I need to just let it rest for some time.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Oh, f@ck, taxes. I started 'em, then forgot about them. And the dog-license renewal is due by April 1.

But that's not why I'm here. I'm here to post two CrossFit-related arghs:

(1) My first day of real CF classes (not the onramp), and I forgot my sneakers. Did the workout in socks. It was just fine, but still, AARRGH!

(2) Kicked my ass at CF, left, and pulled my thumbnail away from the cuticle turning on my car - I swear, only I can make it through the various coordination things that CF requires, and then injure myself turning a key! AAARRGH!

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

Oh, f@ck, taxes. I started 'em, then forgot about them. And the dog-license renewal is due by April 1.

But that's not why I'm here. I'm here to post two CrossFit-related arghs:

(1) My first day of real CF classes (not the onramp), and I forgot my sneakers. Did the workout in socks. It was just fine, but still, AARRGH!

(2) Kicked my ass at CF, left, and pulled my thumbnail away from the cuticle turning on my car - I swear, only I can make it through the various coordination things that CF requires, and then injure myself turning a key! AAARRGH!

Oh... this made me chuckle. Yes, very much in the 'laughing *with* you' way. Congrats on toughing it out in your socks, though. So many would just pack it in instead.

I just ripped off one of my nails off picking up my backpack. I don't even know how, just suddenly there was a chunk of nail hanging and a lot of cuticle showing.

But hey, you survived your first crossfit class! Go you!

Please tell me you have small children. If it's an adult, I will weep in my cubicle.

Okay, this truly made me laugh.

One other thing -- if your kids are like mine, they'll point out that they have to open their mouths to get the food IN there in the first place. I resorted to "chew with your mouth closed," which then led to them opening their mouths while they weren't actively chewing. Smart-ass kids! I've finally settled on: "once your food goes in your mouth, I don't want to see it again." That seems to work (at least for now).

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

He's especially dashing in period costume!

In period costume and in the pond. :)

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

Thanks for the sympathy, guys.

After all that yesterday, today my bank decided I was suspicious, and shut down my card. This resulted in my boyfriend's birthday present being delayed, and me standing talking on the phone to the bank at a yarn shop for 15 minutes on my lunch break, so I could buy 1 ball of orange wool and 1 bag of polyester toy filling. (Someone who buys hair dye, protein supplements, and knitting supplies? DEFINITELY suspicious.) At this point, I'm not even ARGH-ing, I'm just resigned. The bureaucracy hates me. I'm just hoping it doesn't escalate to something actually problematic! Luckily, I'm pretty good at being calm on the phone and getting all my info together...

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Stupid banks. I've had that happen to me before. I went one town over to watch a movie and they denied my card. Me! I mean I've used the dang thing overseas with no issues! Very ARGH worthy indeed.

My ARGH is the same as last time. Stupid jammed thumb. It was feeling okay so I thought I could go and lift. Squats went swimmingly, then when I tried to bench the load was too much on my poor thumb and I had to bail before I aggravated it more. Hopefully this evening it will be better. I miss my dead lifts.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle