Forums are back in action! ×

Blood Donation and Working Out?

Hi there!

Any other rebels out there donate blood at local blood drives? I try to do it four times a year but find that it really drains both my energy and willpower to workout for a few days/a week after I donate. Though energy levels usually dip only in the first 24 hours after donating, I've found that sometimes the aftereffects carry into the next week, derailing my workout schedule. Donating blood is something I'm really passionate about and don't want to stop, but was wondering if any rebels out there have found a good way to recuperate from the donation and still maintain their current workout schedule.

There's also the issue of eating healthy after a blood donation. Every phlebotomist I've ever worked with says to eat sugar after a donation (to help replenish your energy) but as someone who doesn't eat candy/cookies/even much fruit I'm wondering what other rebels eat after they donate?

Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Hi!  I donate blood often too, so maybe I can answer your questions.

You do NOT need to eat/drink sugar after donating.  What they mostly want you to do is rehydrate, and hang around for 10 or 15 minutes so they can rescue you if you faint.  Snacking is optional.  I usually ask for a cup of water and a can of tomato juice, both preferably at room temp (cold liquids can shock the stomach).  The sodium and electrolytes in the tomato juice help prop up low blood pressure.  I also like to munch the chips, pretzels or crackers for more salt and a little energy kick.  Ignore the cookies unless they're extra tasty and you really want one (you deserve a reward, but stale cookies aren't much of a reward).  If you're watching your carbs, bring some salty nuts with you instead.

(I'd recommend sticking to small things that are easy to digest, not a good time to chow a dense protein bar or a huge burrito.  If you eat a lot right away, you'll cause all the remaining blood to rush to your stomach to digest, and that can cause a drop in blood pressure, which gives all the fun symptoms you're trying to avoid: turning green, getting dizzy, fainting, etc.  I have witnessed a man donate, leave feeling fine, and then go into shock 90 minutes later after eating a big dinner.)

Do not work out the same day after donating.  Walking is fine, but nothing strenuous.  Try not to run after buses or climb a lot of stairs on your way home either (you can guess how I found this out...)  I usually make donation the last task of the evening, and then I go home, eat a bit, keep hydrating, and sleep it off.  This way I get at least 10 or 12 hours of uninterrupted recovery time, and by then I'm ready to do things again.

If you are going to work out before donating, do it at least four hours before your appointment, and stick to light or moderate workouts that day.  Heavy exercise damages your tissues, and blood is what brings all the nutrients to heal those tissues ... so if you tear up your body with a killer workout, and then give blood, you're going to feel worse and heal slower.  (Also, the aftereffects of a workout can alter your hematocrit, body temp, and other vital signs, which might cause problems when they screen you.)   Plan your workout schedule so the heaviest workouts for that week are spaced at least 24 hours before and after donation day.

If you are finding that giving blood is tiring you for several days, you can opt to donate just platelets or plasma.  Red blood cells are what carries oxygen, and losing them is mostly what makes you tired.  (Also, plasma is nearly all water, and platelets grow back fast, so recovery time is a lot shorter.  Red blood cells take much longer to grow back.)  You can also increase the iron in your diet or take supplements to ensure that your hematocrit is higher to begin with.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

It takes your body 4-6 weeks to regrow all the lost red blood cells, but only 24 hours for the plasma. For me, cardio is out of the question within the first 24-48 hours, then really dialed back for a week or so. It's going to take more effort for another week or two after that.

For lifting, I take the day of off or extremely light, but I'm back at it the next day with reduced volume. I just feel things out and am smart. Same thing with the cardio volume wise, I'm back at it 90-100% a week later, but get out of breath sooner and need longer between sets.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

On 10/8/2016 at 5:17 PM, Kat Savage III said:

Any other rebels out there donate blood at local blood drives?

Just donated on October 1.

On 10/8/2016 at 5:17 PM, Kat Savage III said:

There's also the issue of eating healthy after a blood donation. Every phlebotomist I've ever worked with says to eat sugar after a donation (to help replenish your energy) but as someone who doesn't eat candy/cookies/even much fruit I'm wondering what other rebels eat after they donate?

I don't worry about what eat on the day of the donation.  I just eat.  The day of the donation I had....

Breakfast:  My standard fare.  PB Sandwich.  Nuts.  Cottage Cheese.

Lunch:  Burger Jones.  Burger with who-knows-what in it.  Fries.  Banana Split.  Sent picture of Banana Split to trainer.

Supper:  Steak.  Smashed Potatoes.  Bread Stick.

Logged 4500 for the day.

Currently more concerned about the night before and trying to come up with some correlation between what I eat the night before and what my iron comes in at because they just raised the minimum.

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP