Forums are back in action! ×

It Appears I'll Be Around For A While

Last Saturday I had my annual physical exam, and according to my doctor I'll be around for a while yet.  IOW I'm not dying any faster than anyone else.

I'm 53 years old, and for about the last year-and-a-half I've been trying to get into better shape.  My weight has gone from 270 to 240 (been pretty steady there the last few months).  My cholesterol was at 250, went to 270, and is now 216 (Dr wanted to put me on Statins, but I refused, and found out that weight loss often causes a temporary increase in cholesterol numbers.  My BP is 120/80 (with BP meds), and my blood work looks good.

I've been on a strength training program since May (I was on Stronglifts last year, but took some time off last spring because it just got too intense, I'm now on Greyskull).  While my weight hasn't changed much in a few months, I've noticed the waistline of my pants getting looser while the thighs of my pants and the shoulders of my shirts are getting tighter, so I seem to be accomplishing something.

I told my doctor my goal was to get off the BP meds too, he said we'd keep an eye on my BP and see what we can do, but if I keep eating right, exercising, and losing weight it's possible.

Next time I have blood work I'm going to get my testosterone check too, just to see how the numbers look.

So, WOOT!

• Like 6

That's great news. I often think that a lot of the health problems we experience can be reversed with the right attitude and determination, you are a living example of it my friend. Well done!

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously