Forums are back in action! ×

Do People Gain Weight or Lose Weight in College These Days?

The stereotype is that everyone comes to college and gains the Freshman 15. But, I was thinking about it the other day, and I know way more people who have actually gotten into better shape and lost weight after coming to college than have gained weight. I was never heavy, but I didn't start exercising or trying to eat healthy until I got to college.

Of course, this is just what I've observed and it's possible that there's some unconscious selection-bias, meaning that maybe I gravitate towards people who have healthy eating/living habits and so it seems like everyone is healthy. But, I'd like to see if anyone else has noticed the same thing or maybe has found some kind of study that shows the trend to be reversing.

Also, anyone's observations are welcome regardless of how old they are, but my theory is that this is more of Gen-Y specific trend. So if you were in college 10+ years ago, I'd expect that your observations might be completely different.

Drexel University class of '09. I gained 30 lb between winter of high school and starting college and another 30 lb over the first 3 years of college.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

What I have noticed is first year or two a lot of people tend to get into a little better shape. It is the last 2 years a lot of people tend to go downhill. Spending their time studying and writing papers along with junk eating habits because 1. they are sitting all the time and just want to grab something and get back to work, 2. are eating at bars and lets face it most bar food is not great for you.

I gained a lot of weight (6kg) in my first semester of college because I live off campus and only ate at home (buying is expensive and bringing lunch seemed like too much effort). I would eat in the morning, go through most of the day on trailmix bars, and by the time I got home I would have a horrible headache and be extremely hungry and overeat like crazy. I think mine is an unusual case though. This being said, I'm sure that by the time I leave college I will be in better shape then I was in highschool so I'm not sure what the conclusion here is. Overall I noticed that my school is very health oriented, the majority of people seem to be in good shape.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

Mark Twain

Gained weight, and have watched some people who joined my LARP group put on weight in their freshman year as well.

I probably won't get back to high school fitness level (190lbs soccer player), but I will be much stronger than when I left high school.

I know two people who purposefully put on lean weight in college, without being collegiate athletes.

Interesting question, and here's my stats to add to the 10+ year group. Gen Y FTW!!! 2001 grad....gained 30-40lbs over the course of 4 years.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Hmm... maybe FSU is just different then, or maybe it's just the people that I'm around. It seems like almost everyone I know at least makes some effort to exercise and eat healthy, of course some are more serious about it than others. I've actually gotten more healthy as time has gone on. When I first started school and lived in a dorm I ate mostly junk, but when I moved off-campus I figured out a few recipes and started eating healthier. Regular exercise only entered the picture once my classes got tougher and I had to actually start sticking to a schedule. I think most people I know are like me, in that they were never really heavy or anything, but didn't start exercising until college and a lot of skinny guys like me actually do try to gain healthy weight intentionally. But, I've also known quite a few people who managed to lose a lot of weight and keep it off after they started college.

There was a period of time in college where got unhealthily skinny because I was poor and couldn't afford much food. I don't think that's what you're talking about though ;).

I think you are on track with your thought that you just surround yourself with healthier people. I was a barfly (once I had a decent job), and for the most part, people were not health conscious at all.

Depends on how much money you have to eat. My first college, I lost weight - I actually had the best body ever, I wore size Small non-stretchy jeans. But I was an extremely underpaid intern who had to count pennies.

This time... gained a lot of weight. Now I have money to eat, after all.

Not in college yet, but I'm hoping to make my Freshman 15 all muscle. I plan on rowing, so I don't think I'm going to be getting out of shape at all.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

A lack of drinking and an increase in activity with sports and a decrease in eating due to stopping snacking b/c the caf was like 5 min away and i had to walk there meant i lost or maintained, i think overall i have gained but it has been muscle.

"Civilize the Mind, but make Savage the Body."  

I gained weight in college but I was pretty scrawny in high school so it wasn't really a big deal. It was AFTER college when I stopped walking to class everyday and lost my gym membership that I started packing on the undesirable pounds. I lost weight in grad school, however. So I guess the short answer is, it depends :P

Hmm... maybe FSU is just different then
If I had a beach near by to go to most of the year, I probably would not have gained that much.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

It probably depends on the school too. At Rosemont we didn't have a lot of choice. It was either unhealthy food junk food or slightly less unhealthy nasty tasting food. Many of us stuck to the cereal bar, the bagels, fountain sodas, and ice cream. It was sad. Then I transferred to Villanova and there was much more variety. Everything from pizza, to grilled cheese, to stir fry, a salad bar, sushi, and Italian food.

It probably depends on the school too. At Rosemont we didn't have a lot of choice. It was either unhealthy food junk food or slightly less unhealthy nasty tasting food. Many of us stuck to the cereal bar, the bagels, fountain sodas, and ice cream. It was sad. Then I transferred to Villanova and there was much more variety. Everything from pizza, to grilled cheese, to stir fry, a salad bar, sushi, and Italian food.

Along with school I think it depends on major as well. I know as an engineer in college I didn't have much time for anything outside of class, studying and drinking. Sometimes all three at the same time. And I probably put on 40+ during my 5 year stint.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I went to Florida State in '02, gained 60. What I would give to have free access to the Leach Center these days....

go noles!! Man, the Leach center is so nice. If it wasn't for the hell of parking, I'd totally have an alum membership.

As it stands, I gained about 20 lbs during college - most of that had to do with poor eating and my body's reaction to the birth control I switched to. I'm close to having most of that weight gone again!

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

First Challenge

My experience is that, in general, when you live in a dorm that provides your food, you tend to gain weight. If you have to provide your own food, you tend to lose weight.

Either/or combined with proper nutrition and exercise could easily put a lot of lean weight on someone though.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

go noles!! Man, the Leach center is so nice. If it wasn't for the hell of parking, I'd totally have an alum membership.

As it stands, I gained about 20 lbs during college - most of that had to do with poor eating and my body's reaction to the birth control I switched to. I'm close to having most of that weight gone again!

It didn't take me long to realize that FSU was the greatest place to have a bicycle and motorcycle. Parking galore!

2/13/12

Starting Primal and free weights

10/02/12

Starting LeanGains. Still lifting all the things.

Fitocracy

My experience is that, in general, when you live in a dorm that provides your food, you tend to gain weight.

So true. Unlimited desserts, plus sugar cereal, plus juice machine, plus 35-cent sodas, plus beer equaled gaining 15 pounds freshman year for me. That was enough to get me to pay attention to what I was eating and start jogging. Ended up losing the 15 plus another 20 that I put on senior year of high school by the time I was 1 year out of college.

I actually lost about 20 pounds when I first started college, as I got a little deeper into college I was working out a lot and had a job that kept me outside most days, turns out that doesn't matter when you're drinking twelve beers a night though ha.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge