Forums are back in action! ×

Common sayings that we hate!

Guest Snake McClain

Moist.

I personally don't hate it but my girlfriend does.

+1 on the wrong forms too. I HATE re-donk-ulus. I don't mind epic, though it's not overly used around here. I hate text smilies that look like this: (= like you're so special because you switch your equals sign to the other side. And ANY mistakes in a work email = loss of all respect for you immediately.

"I'm going to the ATM machine." No you're not. You're going to the ATM. And when you're there, you're not going to use your "PIN number," either.

This one is particularly appropriate for the week: "I'm getting a huge tax return." NO! You filed your tax return, and you are getting a tax refund.

Some fitness related ones:

DOMS. Sounds pretentious, just say you're sore.

You can't outrun your fork. You can too, you just need to run farther and faster.

I'm 80% paleo. (Not trying to hate on paleo here.) What is the other 20%? Pop tarts? Either do it or don't do it, but don't tell me about it until you're willing to commit to it one way or the other.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Moist.

I personally don't hate it but my girlfriend does.

+1 on the wrong forms too. I HATE re-donk-ulus. I don't mind epic, though it's not overly used around here. I hate text smilies that look like this: (= like you're so special because you switch your equals sign to the other side. And ANY mistakes in a work email = loss of all respect for you immediately.

I love the word moist, I use it whenever I can, but my wife hates it too.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Hahah! My boss and I were just talking about the phrase "We don't know what we don't know." It's definitely over-used at my work. And it seems to be a fancy way of giving an apparently acceptable excuse. He hates it. For a week we were working on a fancy phrase he could say relentlessly, but as with most things, we lost interest.

There's a manager who says "ideal" for idea. It used to bother me but now I don't really notice. She also asks her employees to "double-verify" stuff that should already be done but she wants them to verify it. My co-workers is like, "What does that even mean? Are they supposed to verify it, wait a second, then go back and verify it again? Is it a two-person job? (We have a lot of dual-control stuff.)" I am amused by how it gets him so fired up.

I don't like the phrase "that's so yum." I can't explain why, though.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

"I'm going to the ATM machine." No you're not. You're going to the ATM. And when you're there, you're not going to use your "PIN number," either.

Yes!! Also reminds me of the restaurant in the movie Mickey Blue Eyes, "The La Trattoria"

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

"Whatever"

"kk"

"kay"

whenever i misstype "just" as "jsut"

Saying "neither" but not using "nor"

Not using the oxford comma

Americans using british spelling (armor verses armour, color verses colour, etc.)

The misuse of decimate/decimated (to reduce by a tenth!)

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Americans using british spelling (armor verses armour, color verses colour, etc.)

I don't get this one. Why does correct spelling bother you? And how do you identify the Americans versus the Canadians and British folks living in the US?

<----------transplanted Canadian who refuses to remove the "u" from her words!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Horror Geek Half Dwarf Adventurer!

My Challenge Thread is here.

I have zombies to outrun! Failure is not an option!

One of the video games I used to use to play a lot spelled it "armour" so I got used to it that way. I always used American spelling for other words like color and behavior. Even now, the spell checker on my post says I spelled armour right and color and behavior wrong, doesn't it know I am American?

[Also, I like Brit Chick Lit, so I see these words both ways now and doesn't bother me]

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

I don't even know what "kk" means. I've asked my friends who use it. They say it means OK. So I ask the difference between k and kk and they say, "IDK LOL." Help. I feel old.

It's used in a lot of video game chat.

kk = OK

QQ = Cry

gg = Good Game

etc.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I hate "just joshing you".

As someone named Josh, I hate that. When I hear it, it's usually used like this: "…just kidding! Er, just joshing you!" Seriously - it's not nearly as funny as you think it is, and you're most definitely not the first person to make that joke to me.

It's used in a lot of video game chat.

Thanks for the background! My friends don't play video games. For them it's cool so they do it. That's how I used to feel about DH. I could tell from context it meant husband, but it took me forever to figure out it meant "darling husband."

I am the same way with Kansas State's EMAW, which means "Every Man A Wildcat." I don't necessarily understand the saying (same can be said by KSU fans for KU's "Rock Chalk"), but I always wanted to know why... And was also curious why women said it if it was MAN.

Anyway, for me, being curious comes across as snobby. Which I hate, but I can't help being curious.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

"Ping me"

"Grok"

Though, at my office, we're pretty fond of the phrase "Just for your FYI…". We've got a manager here that's notorious for using various phrases, sayings, terms, etc. and saying them completely wrong. Think Biff Tannen ("make like a tree, and get out of here") x 10. He's a super nice guy, but just doesn't realize how many things he twists around. We've been cataloguing them over the years, and the FYI line has turned into a pretty standard memo introduction.

Thanks for the background! My friends don't play video games. For them it's cool so they do it. That's how I used to feel about DH. I could tell from context it meant husband, but it took me forever to figure out it meant "darling husband."

I am the same way with Kansas State's EMAW, which means "Every Man A Wildcat." I don't necessarily understand the saying (same can be said by KSU fans for KU's "Rock Chalk"), but I always wanted to know why... And was also curious why women said it if it was MAN.

Anyway, for me, being curious comes across as snobby. Which I hate, but I can't help being curious.

Yeah, I don't get EMAW, either. Is it relatively new? I don't remember hearing it before a few years ago. I'm a Jayhawk (transplanted out of the region), so I can give you the Rock Chalk spiel if you're curious. :)

Also, DH, DS, DD, and all the others make me twitchy.

Yeah, I don't get EMAW, either. Is it relatively new?

The story I get is EMAW came from the football team. Before one early-season game, a senior (I assume captain) said "Every man a wildcat!" As the season unfolded, it turned into EMAW. From there, it transferred to the fanbase and basketball season (which is where it picked up steam - I believe it was that year they went fairly far in the tourney - 2009?).

And the real issue? At the time, most KSU fans didn't know where it originated. That's why they'd get all bent out of shape when I'd ask.

{Little star shoots across screen...} The more you know!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Saying "Tarjay" instead of Target.

This one makes me want to stab people.

I hate "I just couldn't help myself!", usually said after someone makes a bad joke or does something else annoying. If you really couldn't help yourself, you should work on that character flaw. If you could, but said that in the hopes you get a pass for being stupid and annoying, you should stop being stupid and annoying.

gojirama, level 1 halfling warriorSTR 2|DEX 1|STA 4|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 1

Archived