Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've done something like this (been part of forums, had time for anything nerdy, really have time for anything other than school....).

A bit about myself:

I'm a PhD student studying paleoanthropology and archaeology. I'm also married with an 11-year-old daughter, which means I have no time for anything most days. I love what I do, but I definitely feel like I've lost a bit of myself along the way, and I'm trying to find it again. There are so many things I want to do, but definitely no time to do them in. My fitness interests range from running, hiking, rock climbing, and moderate weight training to yoga, ballet, Tai chi, and belly dance. Other personal interests include prehistoric technology (a holdover from my area of study), meditation, reading things other than journal articles, and role playing (though I haven't done tabletop or LARP in years). My relatively sedentary lifestyle as an early-stage grad student also means that my current shape is round-ish, a fact that vexes me greatly. I have an easy time moving mountains for intellectual pursuits, but have absolute hell keeping myself motivated to keep in shape. With as focused as I've been on my research, I also am having a difficult time narrowing down my broad range of interests to specific areas of focus, which has amplified the already existing fitness issues I was having.

My hope is that by joining this community, I can start to get some of these wild horses under control. I'd love to find a fitness buddy or a few to work on some of my goals with. At this point, the only goals I have a strong inclination toward as a priority as running and hiking, primarily to make my field seasons easier. Associated with this is some weight loss and changing that round-ish shape to something else. However, I'd also like to pursue some of my other interests in addition, like returning to belly dancing, trying Tai chi, restarting my meditation practice, or giving something like aerial yoga a chance.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here! 

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the Rebellion! From everything I read you are going to fit in just fine around here! We are coming to the end of the current cycle but you might want to start by looking at the four week challenges  https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/help.html/4-week-challenges/challenge-instructions-and-faq/ they are a good way to get going with bite size goals that'll help fit into your busy schedule and the sense of community and comraderie can really help. Finding time in our lives to hit our fitness goals is always a challenge! 

Also, given your rather eclectic list of fitness interests, you might be interested in the Rangers Guild! We are an awesome community that cannot decide on a focus and just try to do all the things and have fun doing it! 

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Another grad student!! I'm a rounder-than-I-wish-I-were grad student too!

tenor.gif

Grad school is a unique life season because it kind of absorbs everything ... it doesn't have set 8-to-5 boundaries like most other jobs do, and in fact, it seems to intentionally and aggressively try to force itself into any nook or cranny in your schedule that it can. Add in a family, and you really are up against a lot. 

The good news is that there actually are quite a few of us here who are grad students or recent graduates trying to get established in our jobs, so there are many people to offer tips and tricks on how they work health, fitness, and self-care into their busy schedules. And, perhaps just as helpfully, there are plenty of us who definitely do not have it all figured out yet, and we're right there with you in the trenches trying to figure it out.

I'm so glad you're here!! Keeping yourself healthy mentally and physically is so important, and I'm so glad you've decided to chase those goals here with us! Welcome to the Rebellion!

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers