Forums are back in action! ×

New Chapter, New Me!

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all having a good week.

You can call be Brad or any nickname you feel fits. I’m easy when it comes to names. I’m 22 and stepped in a gym for the first time on Sunday after a total of two hours of overthinking (which is pretty good!). I’m just a British dude who does a tonne of things in order to not think too much. I’m a wannabe indie rock songwriter, a combat robot builder (see BattleBots), a snowboarder (well, I’ve only had one lesson so far), an avid gamer, a Pokémon and Monster Hunter fanboy, a Star Wars sponge, a quizzer and a YouTube soon-to-restart Let’s Player. Plus I’m really shy  and have an underdeveloped rebellious streak. Other than that, I’m honestly pretty boring. That’s me and my life story!

So, the less fun bit. My reasons for starting this journey. I’ve hit a new chapter in my life. It started when I tried online dating which ended up destroying any self esteem I had. The last month has been hard as I’ve battled with self loathing and loneliness. I’ve dealt with social anxiety disorder and low self esteem all my life and more recently depression. My body has borne the brunt of my minds scorn. The idea I have is that if I change the man in the mirror, the man looking at him might change too. If I ever post any pics of how I look, it’ll be some kind of miracle. To cut a long story short, to gain confidence is reason one. Reason two for joining here is for a sense of community. I’ve been trying so improve my life on my own for years now and I’ve actually been doing a good job. My self drive is great. The problem is that my friends are drifting away and I’m ending up socially isolated so I’m craving some form of group to be with me for this unknown journey. So I’m really excited to start on here!

Feel free to chat to me any time. Don’t worry if I take a while to respond, it’s just that I’m scared of you (SAD is a pain sometimes)! Other than that, I’m proud to join you for a better future and I hope to be as brilliant as you all one day!

(I wrote this late so sorry if it’s a bit heavy!)
  • Like 1

Hey! Haha, let me just say I think you're intro is pretty cool! You have a really neat sense of humor. 

I'm a long time gym goer, an anxiety/depression person in remission, and totally new to these forums! I'm came here looking for other people who approached going to the gym with an appreciation for modern science instead of decades of bad gym advice. 

Good luck on your journey and I hope to see you around the forums!

P.S. I think your wide range of interests will give you a great place to start and help you find success in your quest for fitness! Kick butt dude! 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NikuHime said:

Hey! Haha, let me just say I think you're intro is pretty cool! You have a really neat sense of humor. 

I'm a long time gym goer, an anxiety/depression person in remission, and totally new to these forums! I'm came here looking for other people who approached going to the gym with an appreciation for modern science instead of decades of bad gym advice. 

Good luck on your journey and I hope to see you around the forums!

P.S. I think your wide range of interests will give you a great place to start and help you find success in your quest for fitness! Kick butt dude! 

Don’t worry, I’ll be butt kicking with some extra muscle! I just read your introduction and wow! I have to say, your badassery has no boundaries! Keep being awesome and I’ll see you around!

(by the way, first proper gym session today. Loved it!)

• Like 1
On 10/11/2017 at 12:31 AM, RoboMadBrad said:

a combat robot builder (see BattleBots)

I love you :D

Welcome to the rebellion and congrats for stepping into the gym! That's a huge step. Especially for someone who suffers with social anxiety. So I'm going to tell you straight. There are a lot of people around here who suffer with social anxiety (myself included) and this is a safe place to express those fears. We do understand and you will find a lot of support to help face those fears and get you doing the things you always dreamed of doing.

It makes me happy to see the green Ranger Logo :D I suggest dropping into the guildhall at the ranger challenge thread and introducing yourself there too. We are just gearing up for a new challenge cycle and I encourage you to look at setting yourself up a challenge. It can be as simple as you like but it is a great way to introduce some small changes to get you moving towards your goals and start getting to know everyone!

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

10 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I love you :D

Welcome to the rebellion and congrats for stepping into the gym! That's a huge step. Especially for someone who suffers with social anxiety. So I'm going to tell you straight. There are a lot of people around here who suffer with social anxiety (myself included) and this is a safe place to express those fears. We do understand and you will find a lot of support to help face those fears and get you doing the things you always dreamed of doing.

It makes me happy to see the green Ranger Logo :D I suggest dropping into the guildhall at the ranger challenge thread and introducing yourself there too. We are just gearing up for a new challenge cycle and I encourage you to look at setting yourself up a challenge. It can be as simple as you like but it is a great way to introduce some small changes to get you moving towards your goals and start getting to know everyone!

I'm glad to see another robot fan! I'm struggling to keep my excitement in check for the new series of Robot Wars this Sunday. The hype train has definitely landed in my living room.

Thanks for the kind words! It's hard to get comfortable when a community is so new so hearing that you've found it so supportive really helps ease these worries. I might actually be brave enough to get a profile pic up one of these days haha! 

I'll check out the Ranger guild hall! I'll go and have a look at the threads. I've been looking for a good place to start, thanks!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, RoboMadBrad said:

I'm glad to see another robot fan! I'm struggling to keep my excitement in check for the new series of Robot Wars this Sunday. The hype train has definitely landed in my living room.

The hype is REAL! :D

10 hours ago, RoboMadBrad said:

Thanks for the kind words! It's hard to get comfortable when a community is so new so hearing that you've found it so supportive really helps ease these worries. I might actually be brave enough to get a profile pic up one of these days haha! 

The community here is amazing and the Rangers guild has been a second home to me since I started. It's full of amazing people but  social awkwardness is a kind of the norm around these parts :) Don't stress the profile pic  too much. There is no way I would have even considered putting a photo of me up when I started but I got there and I'm quite proud of the things I've achieved since joining.

11 hours ago, RoboMadBrad said:

I'll check out the Ranger guild hall! I'll go and have a look at the threads. I've been looking for a good place to start, thanks!

You should head over the the guild hall and say hi. I'm sure you'll find everyone welcoming.

If you are looking to start head over the the Level 1 section. They have a great guidelines for setting up your first challenge. If you need a hand though give me a shout and I'll happily help you out.

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24