Forums are back in action! ×

Mortimer's battle logs.

Breakfast:

3 eggs with 26g spinach 

Nestum 3 in 1 oats

An orange

Did not go for body combat class this morning. If I'm trying to build muscle, I should cut down on the amount of cardio I do. I intend to brisk walk 2 subway stations to the local run group later, then join them running, so that should be enough cardio for the day. 

I will still run with local running groups and Park Run to make sure my cardio is on point, besides I do aim to do a half marathon one of these days. However I will not put any pressure on myself with regards to the timing. 

Anyway I rolled out of bed (waking up normally for once without alarm), did 11 push ups, followed by a break before 30 burpees, went to cook breakfast, ate breakfast, did another 11 push ups, then washed stuff up and before I got changed into office clothes, did yet another 11 push ups. Now all I need to do is find somewhere(probably the clothes bar tonight) to deadhang from. 

I will likely join my colleagues doing yoga in the gym before lunch. 

• Like 1

My colleagues didn't go for yoga but I did - about 56 min of it. They were doing some balancing on tennis balls like putting the tennis ball under the ball of your foot, roll back and forth etc. Tricky business, my balancing isn't all that good. I tried deadhanging from the gyms pull up knobs but only managed 28s or so. I think bars are easier to hang from. 

Lunch:

40g pink lentils

300g cucumber with ginger

20g red pepper

60g chayote

1 tomato, all in a stew

150g broccoli 

100g cauliflower

90g sesame chicken

Some beehoon my colleague gave me

Dinner:

150g cauliflower

100g broccoli 

60g chickpeas

6 stuffed tofu puffs

Did negative splits with local running group, could keep up with them to halfway mark but couldn't quite keep up on return trip. They were doing around 5.30 pace me thinks. 

Post run snack:

Apple! 

• Like 1

OK anyway last night I was told by my mom that I had to have this week's menu out in an hours notice and yep, I got pissed. I understand if you can't wait till Friday to do the groceries, and I'm batch cooking on Sat, but at the same time, the milk was running out(I'm transitioning to no milk), the Samsung health app I use for tracking stuff got broken with the last patch(for self entered items the iron value is too high), and I was expected to give her an answer in an hour. I told her next time, give me more notice. A simple text on Monday telling me to get the menu out by Weds, would be sufficient, rather then waiting for me to come back from my run, then spring the whole thing on me at 10 pm at night. Admittedly I've been a bit busy with work so no time to tinker with menu. Also need to finish up the green peas that she bought for the fishes (the fishy she tried to save died). 

Breakfast:

Black pepper chicken zucchini boat

Milk with cocoa(daym I ran out of cinnamon) 

Morning snack:

Usual decoction of 1 tablespoon cumin, fennel and 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds and a kiwi 

Half an egg sandwich colleague provided 

A bit of cake that refused to fit into the container (yeah I really need to stop that) 

Did weights:

Weights:

Deadlift @ bar +10 kg (x8)

Deadlift @ bar +15 kg (x8)

Deadlift @ bar +17.5kg (x8) 

Deadlift @ bar +17.5kg (x8) 

Lowered bar to my shins. I did want to increase weight but due to improper positioning I had to stop to adjust. 

Chest press(made sure to touch my chest with the bar) :

Just the bar (x8) 

Bar +2.5 kg(x8) 

Bar +3.75 kg(x8) 

Bar +5 kg (x8) 

6 jump pull ups (only first two went fully up) 

6 jump chin ups (first 3 went above bar) 

4 jump pull ups (none above bar) 

4 jump chin ups (first 2 above bar)

2 jump pull ups (none above bar) 

2 jump chin ups (1 above bar)

Clean and press @40 lbs, (x8), 2 sets, last set @50 lbs =) 

Next time I'll put 2nd set at 50 lbs too

10 pistol squats with doorframe help on each leg

Diagonal leg raises on stability ball (x15) each side, all 3 sets. 

Farmers walk of 12 kg dumbells in each hand, for 1 min, had to take a break at 50s.

Lunch:

40g pink lentils

20g red pepper

60g chayote

1 tomato, all in a stew

150g broccoli 

100g cauliflower

90g sesame chicken

Afternoon snack:

2 plums

Looks nice :)

Not that I know what I look at, but still nice :) 

What's the difference between those two times?

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Gun time is when the race is flagged off, net time starts when your foot goes past the start line. Since there were quite a number of people in front of me and the start line...thus the diff. According to my friend who did a marathon, the difference between my Gun Time and Net Time is already considered short. Again I wanted to close the gap between myself and the 6 min pacers so I bursted at the start. Yes it's risky since I may run myself out of steam that way - but my friends who went off at the last wave of AIA glow complained they had too many walkers in front of them to run properly. It paid off and before 1 km was up I was already ahead of the 6 min pacers and left the better part of the crowd behind me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did Hiits with local group

OK last night's dinner(I think I ate too much) :

Pork rib, carrot and corn soup(60g of pork from pork ribs, 30g carrot and half a ear of corn) 

200g of curly wurly vegetable fried with 30g anchovies and some fish cake

150g of stir fried fish

4 cashew nuts 

I'm cutting down on amount of cardio in an attempt to gain upper body strength so I don't burn as much energy as I used to. 

Breakfast:

1 cup of cocoa cinnamon milk (yep, I got cinnamon!) 

Have done 22 push ups broken into sets of 11 and 30 burpees already. 

Morning snack:

Usual decoction of 1 tablespoon fennel, cumin and 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds. 

There are a whole lot of moon cakes in the fridge that I need to avoid. 

They are huge calorie bombs! 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/mooncake-madness-why-overindulging-on-these-festive-treats-could-9248254

• Like 2

Did 1h body combat. 

Lunch:

40g pink lentils

20g red pepper

60g chayote

1 tomato, all in a stew

150g broccoli 

100g cauliflower

90g sesame chicken

Joining local group for Hiits later. 

Tomorrow I intend to test myself for 21k on a flat road. We'll see how that goes. God willing, I will be able to complete it. Though a jump from 10k to 21k is quite a bit, but again I will not put pressure on myself for pace. 

Dinner:

150g broccoli 

100g cauliflower

60g chickpeas

6 stuffed tofu puffs. 

• Like 1

Breakfast:

4 eggs with 26 g spinach

Nestum 3 in one oats

Usual decoction of 1 tablespoon fennel, cumin and 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds

Then I did this:

But also picked up a blood blister in the process which I didn't discover until I took off my socks. What am I supposed to do with a blood blister? 

Screenshot_20190831-093455_Samsung Health.jpg

• Like 1

Post run snack:

3 almonds

3 walnuts

A cup of green bean drink 

Surprisingly I did not feel particularly hungry, though I made it a point to get down 500 ml of water straight after the run. 

Did star wars workout:

15 box jumps on a 18 inch high sit up station (was done before run) - 3 sets

3x10 body weight rows, breaks in between 

Deadhang for 1 min

4 sets of 8 plyometric push ups on toes, breaks between sets 

Skipping Chewbacca caries and I sure as heck am not going to even shuttle jog in my current condition. 

5 min plank, 4 breaks. 

Lunch:

200g green peas

90g King oyster mushroom 

90g chicken breast 

2 dates

Afternoon snack:

Peach

2 dates

Half a cup of cornflakes. 

4 hulled zucchinis

I thought I'd feel hungrier but strangely no... 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Then I did this

Woot! You Go Gurl!

17 hours ago, Mortimer said:

What am I supposed to do with a blood blister?

If it isn't annoying, leave it to clot. But if it is annoying or you feel painful pressure - pierce/cut it open and let the blood out. Then treat it like small wound. This will hurt a bit, but heal way faster than leaving it alone. 

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

After impromptu half marathon damage report:

My left side still feels stiff, left knee definitely a bit dodgy. Surprisingly I can jog, but I don't think I'll be able to do burpees today. I may try later after rock climbing. 

Breakfast:

Milk (forgot to add cocoa and cinnamon, doh) 

Usual decoction of 1 tablespoon fennel, cumin and 1 teaspoon fenugreek 

2 small blood oranges 

• Like 1

I got up this wall, but no pics on me up it as I was not expecting to get to the top in my current shabby condition lol. 20190901_101653.thumb.jpg.d49382a83c7a58b37b49935bfe875565.jpg

The one with green, yellow and grey. I tried again but couldn't get up. 

Post climb snack:

50g of kellogs oat and honey breakfast cereal (free gift from 10k run, must as well eat it). 

Lunch:

250g King oyster mushroom

200g garden peas

90g chicken 

1 dragon fruit 

Also finished up that expired bottle of soba sauce in the process, that didn't take long at all. 

Did 30 burpees. With breaks, I think the squatting and jumping back wasn't as bad as I had thought, the push up part was worse due to all that rock climbing earlier. 

• Like 2

Also I baked date bread:

20190901_181327.jpg

20190901_183328.jpg

Really weird since I measured out everything carefully(converted cups to grams and liquid cups to ml), and the dough was too wet. Had to add more flour so I don't think I can duplicate it. Nonetheless it did have the desired result of being softer then the last batch, though I think it could use more dates. 

I also did slip in half an hour of yoga and an afternoon nap. 

• Like 1

It was really one weird weekend. I knew that my body wasn't functioning properly after the run - the last time I walked 22km, I was ravenously hungry, even to the point of happily snacking along the way. 

Didn't happen for this run. After the run, I didn't feel hungry. I actually made myself eat because I know my body needs it, no matter what it says. 

And I knew that I should be feeling tired, but my energy levels were fairly normal, except that my left side and knee were an ouch. Even did batch cooking and all that, that night I didn't sleep much as I wanted to set the dough so it could rise while I went rock climbing.

I suspect that run it was all the release of chemicals of some kind that sort of pushed back hunger and fatigue. At least I know how my body acts now after long runs. 

I will swear by Yoga. My left knee was dodgy until I put myself through 30 min of runners yoga yesterday and took an afternoon nap. Today I managed to walk down stairs without ouchies and do a short dash to catch the train lol.

Next time I long run, I will make sure I find the time to incorporate a yoga session as soon as possible after the run, even if I have to do it in view of the general public. 

• Like 1

Breakfast:

3 eggs, 26g spinach 

Green bean powder with cinnamon 

Usual decoction of 1 tablespoon fennel, cumin and 1 teaspoon fenugreek 

An orange 

21 grapes

100g jackfruit seeds

Did an hour of yoga. 

Weights:

Deadlift @ bar +12.5kg (x8)

Deadlift @ bar +17.5 kg (x8)

Deadlift @ bar +18.75kg (x8) -took a break at 4

Deadlift @ bar +18.75kg (x8) -took a break at 4

Lowered bar to my shins. 

Inclind Chest press:

Just the bar (x8) (2 sets, forgot should have been 10 reps) 

Bar +1.25 kg(x8) 

6 jump pull ups (none went fully up) 

6 jump chin ups (first 3 went above bar) 

4 jump pull ups (none went fully up) 

4 jump chin ups (first 2 went fully up)

2 jump pull ups (none went fully up) 

2 jump chin ups (1 went up)

Clean and press the bar, (x8), 3 sets

No right weight barbells available. 

5 pistol squats with doorframe help on each leg

Diagonal leg raises on stability ball (x15) each side, 3 sets.

Farmers walk of 12 kg dumbells in each hand, for 1 min 10 s

OK so I finally cleared my body clock issues, sleeps back to normal. Knee is more or less OK.  Blood blister has dried up. Yesterday with the local running group we were doing speed intervals of 400m x 6 at a 2 min pace which I don't think I quite well managed as I generally ended up at the back of the pack, but hey, at least I got there before the rest break was over ^^

Was super tired last night so didn't post dinner. 

Dinner:

200g of bok choi 

90g of pork ribs, 90g pork

140g stir fried fish 

Half a fish cake

70g cucumber 

A date

Did 12 push ups, started on hiits burpees 

Did 5 sets of 20 before I called it quits. 

Did another 24 push ups broken into 2 sets. 

Dead hanged from the clothes rack for 1 min but had to take 3 breaks. 

Breakfast today:

1 French bean and carrot zucchini boat

1 cup of almond milk with cocoa powder and cinnamon. 

• Like 2

Morning snack:

20g of hulled pumpkin seeds

1 cup of Jackfruit 

A kiwi

Did some random office lighting shopping - I guess I looked a little silly hauling fluorescent light tubes over my shoulder and cables in my other hand but heck, if things need to be done they need to be done. 

Lunch:

30g pink lentils

20g red pepper

60g chayote

1 tomato, all in a stew

150g cauliflower 

100g brocoli 

90g sesame chicken

Afternoon snack:

A peanut butter doughnut! 

Yes I was distracted on the phone and I suspect myself of having some kind of delayed runger. Anyway after that doughnut incident, I made sure to stuff myself up with things that are of less calorie damage and not attack the doughnuts/moon cakes in the pantry. 

Dinner part 1:

150g cauliflower 

100g brocoli 

65g chickpeas 

• Like 1