Forums are back in action! ×

My way towards (next) OCR

Jun 9th

GtG pull-ups: 7x8

HS progression ~15min

Crow pose is getting better - I held it for up to 20 sec. My palms slowly adjust to being feet :D 

Wall HS - 1 minute, then 2 x 45sec.

Stuffed nose doesn't help with breathing when upside down...

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Jun 10th

Simple&Sinister:

Warm-up: 2x5 prying goblet squats (24kg). 

Main:

10 x 10 single arm swings with 24kg

10 x 1 TGU with 24kg

2 sets of 10 push-ups with full firefighting gear on. Brutal...

Jun 11th

Nothing. 

Drove 250km with my sis to her home to help her rearrange.

Jun 12th

Rearranging sis home, disassembling and assembling furniture.

BRUTAL DOMS after Wed. push-ups.

To fight this, did some push-ups. 5 reps (hurt like hell), then 10 reps and finally 15 reps, with some chin-ups between.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Jun 13th

Let's call it rest day. 

Drove back home, did nothing in terms of exercise. 

Jun 14th

Run: no. 

Skating: 8km, about an hour.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yeah, it was our commander's idea to put air packs on (to raise a bar), however the rest was really the only acceptable outfit for firefighter unit :) 

Jun 15th

Simple&Sinister:

Main:

10 x 1 TGU with 24kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun 16th

No handstands. 

Instead I helped my Dad haul some concrete panels as we are rebuilding the fence that was moved due to road construction. 

And played a bit on monkey bars after that.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun 17th

Simple&Sinister:

Main:

10 x 1 TGU with 24kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun 18th

HS progression ~20min

Shifting my center of mass is an issue - I'm scared of falling on my back. Gotta try kick-ups instead of wall walk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun 19th

Simple&Sinister:

Main:

10 x 1 TGU with 24kg

Jun 20th

Too busy to do any training. Let's call it rest day.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun 21st

Run day ;) 

5.3km, 30:33 - pace 5:46/km (9:17/mi).

I wasn't so slow since January... Keto adaptation takes it's toll, but I hope I can regain my lost performance over time. Not that it's bad time - it's still way below 30min for 5K, so I'm fine with it :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Keto is mostly about fuelling yourself with fats and drastic carbs restriction. And as carbs became main human fuel since discovery of agriculture, switching back to fats takes time for body to adjust. During this time (the adaptation), one can suffer some flu-like side effects (it's even called "Keto-flu"): tiredness, muscle ache, nausea, gastric issues etc. It's all caused mostly by dehydration/messed electrolytes and carb withdrawal (yes, most of us are unknowingly addicted to carbs). And that's what I'm going through right now. 

But I expect things will be better in a week ot two, when my body will start effectively use fats. Keto has lots of positive side effects as well - higher energy levels, less inflammations, clearer mind etc. I'm giving this way of nutrition a shot as an experiment (and a little as a way to eat more fatty food I love ;) ).

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

I know I have a sweet tooth (its been seriously toned down, but it's still there). Out of curiosity are you preparing your own food? Or does your wife have to do seperate portions? 

Keto= living on animals = expensive

And sadly with the Covid 19 thing... My job isn't very secure so budget is now a big consideration =(

I'm trying to climb as much as I can while my job benefits still last... 

My hubbie also likes his meats a lot, is it a guy thing lol? 

He also doesn't have a snack sweet tooth like I do, but again he drinks his tea with sugar and drinks coke ><

2 hours ago, Mortimer said:

are you preparing your own food?

I prep my food for work lunches for a week in advance. As for eating at home, I eat what is prepared if it fits my nutrition, and if not, I make my own meal. 

And to be honest we all cook at my home - me (mostly at weekends when I'm home), my wife, my Dad. Now when my sister lives with us, he cooks as well. It boils down to "who has some time to make dinner today" matter.

2 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Keto= living on animals

Not true. There are even people doing vegan keto (but that is extreme IMO). 

On keto you restrict carbs, but eat lots of veggies (for fiber). It's mostly dark leafy greens. After the adaptation 50g of daily carbs is no fuss, and this amount equals roughly 3.5 kg! of lettuce, or 2 kg of cucumber. 

And about fats - there are lots of healthy plant fats - coconut, olive, avocado, nuts and seeds etc. You don't rely mainly on lard and butter (but they are okay). Some say margarine is good, but I don't like it because it's highly processed. And fried bacon is still as unhealthy as before.

Considering animals - main stuff you use is fatty pork (less expensive than lean cuts and beef), eggs and fish. And even those you don't eat as much as on carb based diet, because those are mainly protein sources. There is no boost in meat consumption. 

And for clarification: I don't want to convince you to go keto. Quite the opposite - you are mainly runner, and keto has some downsides for runners. It may be good for marathon+ distances (no fuss with replenishing glucose mid-run), but for shorter cardio activities carb based diet tends to give better results.

3 hours ago, Mortimer said:

My hubbie also likes his meats a lot, is it a guy thing lol?

I don't know, maybe? I never thought about that. 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun 22nd

Simple&Sinister:

Main:

10 x 1 TGU with 24kg

Jun 23rd

Handstand progression - ~20min

Crow pose held for 30 sec, and learning to kick-up to wall HS instead of wall walk. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun 24th

The final reps (7th and 8th) of almost every set are really hard, but I don't want to ease off unless it's absolutely necessary. My muscles need to adapt to ketones as fuel, and the sooner they will, the sooner the hurting will stop :) 

Simple&Sinister:

Main:

10 x 1 TGU with 24kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun 25th

Instead of handstands, I played for 15-20 minutes with climbing rope, monkey bars and tried to find a wall to scale.

I need to return to OCR specific drill, as it's only three TWO :o weeks until my (postponed) OCR debut. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun 26th

No S&S training today. No time for it, as I started repainting my Mom's room (as her birthday present). I think it's decent excuse for missing a workout :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun 27th

Room painting finished around 3PM. It was hot, so I decided to catch up on my S&S instead of running. 

Simple&Sinister:

Main:

10 x 1 TGU with 24kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun 28th

"rest" day. Not much rest TBH because over 500 km drive. After all this time behind the wheel I had absolutely no motivation to catch up on my running. 

Jun 29th

Back to the usual regime. 

Simple&Sinister:

Main:

10 x 1 TGU with 24kg

Jun 30th

Instead of HS progression I helped my dad haul (on a wheelbarrow) couple hundred paving bricks from one spot to another. I'll call it "carry" training for OCR :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jul 1st

Simple&Sinister:

Main:

10 x 1 TGU with 24kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jul 2nd

Again I need to take what life gives. In terms of training I did 10 or so rounds with a wheelbarrow and hanged some shelves in Mom's room.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jul 3rd

Simple&Sinister:

Main:

10 x 1 TGU with 24kg

Jul 4th

"rest" day again. Been working with setting concrete slabs for our fence. After this I had no steam left to run anything longer than to the closest water bottle ;) 

Jul 5th

Run: 5.25 km, 31:45 - average pace 6:03/km

The struggle is real. I crossed the line of 6 min/km, and I'm absolutely NOT HAPPY with it. 

On the other hand, I was running my "trial" route with high grass (at some points even waist-high) and it was early in the morning (I was running in a fasted state). All this, plus fact I'm still in keto adaptation phase, surely influenced the time. I think I need to accept this and learn to run anew. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jul 6th

GtG pull-ups: 5x8

I lowered number of reps as a taper before Saturday's OCR. (Is it already this week? EEEK!)

Simple&Sinister:

Main:

10 x 1 TGU with 24kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler