Forums are back in action! ×

My way towards (next) OCR

Nov. 14th

"Simple" S&S routine

10x10 one arm swings 32kg - 5 min

1 min rest

10x1 get-ups 32 kg - 10 min

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Nov. 16th

"Simple" S&S routine

1 min rest

-----------------------------

Nov. 18th

"Simple" S&S routine

1 min rest

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Nov. 21st

"Simple" S&S routine

1 min rest

Apart of lack of endurance for swings, 32 kg gets... not so hard (I won't say "easy", because it's miles away from it). Maybe I  should start looking for 40kg kettlebell? 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Recap of last week:

Nov. 23rd

"Simple" S&S routine

1 min rest

--------------------

Nov. 25th

"Simple" S&S routine

1 min rest

--------------------

I ordered 40kg 'bell and it came on Wednesday, yet I didn't try it out till today.

Nov, 28th

"Simple" S&S routine - untimed

2x10 one arm swings 40kg :o 

8x10 one arm swings 32kg

some rest

2x1 get-ups 32 kg

2x1 get-ups 40 kg - right done, left failed, redone with 32 kg 

6x1 get-ups 32kg

Forty is fuckin' HEAVY! But I love it :D 

All would be pretty okay, even failed rep, but...

... let's say I had more luck than brains.

Spoiler

I was lying on my back, 'bell over my head in left hand, about to transition to sitting. Then I lost balance and my stupid instincts kicked in - I tried to catch it from hitting the floor. 

Of course it ended bad. 

Spoiler

It's not nice to look at it.

Spoiler

You've been warned.

DSC_0048.thumb.JPG.eb0cb6840e68275806eecf4018aa2a13.JPG

Why I say I was lucky? Because the kettlebell "only" partially pinched off some skin and soft tissues and I was able to wrap it back in place. It could end way worse - I could get my fingerbone broken or knuckle crushed. As I said - I got incredibly lucky. 

After wrapping my finger with some band-aids I decided to do the rest of the routine. It was funny to hold the 'bell without using index finger, but  on the get-ups it was pretty much doable. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Mortimer said:

You may need to reduce weight on arm swings

Yeah, thought the same thing. I'll see tomorrow. I even consider passing on swings until my finger heals up. Or just switch to two-handed swings - this way I could still work on my endurance, not overloading the fingers too much. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

So... yeah.

At some moment on Sunday I decided pain is getting annoyingly intense and went to ER. Besides spending there like 6 hours, I learned one bone was cracked slightly, got anti-tetanus shot, splint on my hand... This means no exercises for a week or so. I tried doing some squats and other leg-only ones, but even those made my finger hurt.  

So... rest week for me. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yeah, learning point it is. I try not to freak out about this forced rest. I was quite ahead of my long term goal, so I think nothing horrible will happen even with additional week of not training... but I 'd love to be able to get to throwing the 'bell around ASAP :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Went to doctors for checking. The outside wound is healing nicely, but  because of internal damage I got another two weeks in a splint :o before next check on 18th. I'm really doubtful if I can stand this thing so long... 

Never mind. I will keep myself away from kettlebells for a week, then I'll check if I can do at least getups with smaller weight. They don't require grip strength as much as swings, so maybe I'll be good with it. I really can't stand NOT exercising. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Can't stand idleness.

I started doing squats. Back-squatting with sand pillow (23kg) feels easy. Goblet squats with 40kg is too much for palms (especially injured one). Need to make some contraption out of my kettlebells to be able to back-squat somewhere around 40kg. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aramis, when I meant squat, I meant of the body weight variety. Or the "kid, I'm giving you a piggy back" type of squats. Not involving your hands! 

I suggest you give your kid a piggy back while doing back squats. 7-8 year old kids should be more then 23kg, right? 

I've hopped on my husbands chest to provide a makeshift weight before, but he isn't training grip strength as I'm the one clinging into him.

• Like 1

Too late :D 

Besides - I didn't squat a long time and now I need some training before Squatmas. I'm aiming (just like last year) for 60/60 - 60 reps with 60% body weight, so...

I strapped 24 and 16kg kettlebells together with zip-ties, wrapped this peanut with ankle weights (around 5kg), made a blanket burrito out of it and tossed the whole thing into a hiking backpack. Now I have 49 kg roll to use for back squats :devilish: That's more like 65% BW, but I'm fine with that. 

This isn't tasking for my hands - it's not a barbell. All I do is preventing the weight on my shoulders to slide off. 

Last days' exercises:

Dec. 9th

3x10 back squat 23kg

Dec. 10th

1x10 goblet squat 40kg (not a good idea - injured hand started to hurt)

2x20 back squat 23kg

Dec. 12th

3x10 back squat 49kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yeah, it is in hiking backpack made of heavy canvas. 

And as an afterthought, I realized I used "light" kettlebells to create this roll - so I don't have a weight to start doing getups again. I won't use 32kg with injured hand - or at least not yet. So, as good the roll turned out, I will need to strip it down and find a way of putting there single 40kg 'bell. The issue I see is weight distribution - it will be harder to put it evenly on both shoulders.

Or... maybe injured hand can stand 24kg 'bell :confused:  If so, I could just swap it in the roll for my 23kg sand pillow... That could work :D 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Dec. 14th

4x10 49kg back squat

Yesterday I pulled out 24kg kettlebell and replaced it with 23kg sandbag. Test drive with injured hand showed 24kg GetUp is absolutely doable. This makes me happy :D

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Dec. 16th

4x10 48kg back squat

3x2 turkish getup 24kg (both injured and okay side)

Doing getups right after heavy squatting isn't good idea. 24kg isn't a challenge for me, yet I had problems on the lunge stage - legs were all jelly like :D  

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Dec. 18th

5x10 48kg back squat

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Dec. 20th

5x10 48kg back squat

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Thank you. Not so merry this year though... on Christmas Eve night I had to put down my dog. 

Dec. 22nd

6x10 48kg back squat

Dec. 25th

6x10 48kg back squat (Squatmas Day 1)

random KB exercises to distract myself:

1x10 Romanian DL 48kg 

2x10 clean&press 16kg 

2x5 snatch 16kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler