Forums are back in action! ×

My way towards (next) OCR

Mar. 16th

No S&S this time - my Dad asked me to help him deal with the gas technicians (we're about to switch from coal-powered central heating system to natural gas one). They were supposed to come yesterday, but... nevermind. What is important is that I was busy and lost my time window for training. I don't like missing my workouts, so I decided to do some (mostly) bodyweight stuff anyway. 

7 pull-ups

7 regular push-ups

3 pull-ups

3 diamond push-ups

15 romanian deadlifts (40kg kettlebell)

5 chin-ups

3 diamond push-ups

15 romanian deadlifts (40kg kettlebell)

3 diamond push-ups

20 romanian deadlifts (40kg kettlebell)

10 reg. push-ups

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

At first I laughed at "out of practice" part, but after some thinking... that's true. Today I really feel I'm alive... I haven't felt tight hamstrings and shoulders for a long time, even considering 40kg getups ;) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Mar. 18th

I thought to myself maybe it's time to challenge my gripping on the left hand a bit more already, and did

S&S UN-timed

Swings

4x10 40kg!!!

6x10 32kg

TGU

4x1 TGU 40kg

6x1 TGU 32kg

Oh man, those swings were tough! I was changing sides every 5 reps because lack of grip strength, but still it was pain to pull off. But I did it! 

But at least I "walked off" my sore shoulders and hamstrings... Well, hamstrings not entirely, because I still have problem touching floor with locked knees, which I was doing easily before those 50 deadlifts, but it gets better every day. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Mar. 20th

S&S almost timed ;) 

Swings

4x10 40kg

took extra 30sec rest

6x10 32kg

TGU

4x1 TGU 40kg

6x1 TGU 32kg

Whole routine took me 15min30sec including extra rest after heavy swings, because with 32kg getups I switched turbo mode ON :) Pretty sure though it wouldn't count as properly done because the system clearly says 100 swings in 5 min, 1 min rest and 10 getups in 10 min. On the other hand - system says to time-check the routine once in a while and just enjoy the exercises most of the times. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Mar. 23rd.

Was in a hurry as I needed to take wife and kid for some med tests.  I took smaller weights and went S&S without any break. 

100 swings with 24kg

10 getups with 32 kg.

Total time - 11 minutes. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

I think lower weight on swings is because of my overall poor cardio endurance. I never was very endure (even while running 5K and 10K). Eating the keto way doesn't help with this type of endurance either. And of course there is the left hand stuff...

It is just easier for me to make relatively short effort of 40kg TGU than 5 min of continuous heavy swings.

With 2x10 EMOM timing 32kg is doable (~30-40 sec for swings, rest the remining time), but with 40 I need to switch hands every 5 reps because I feel my left hand fingers slip off the handle. Sending a 40kg iron ball flying into the wall/furniture/TV isn't something I feel would be fun... 

Funny enough - even with 40kg swings I don't feel pain anymore. But there is still mobility issue - index finger flexes only about half way, so I can barely wrap it around the KB handle. But as my doc said - working on this may take years and still won't fix everything.

But about the heavy swings - It doesn't hurt - just lack of strength and feeling my fingers don't have the power to stay clamped on the handle. This shows how much of the weight is supported by index finger alone. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yeah my issue with too heavy TGU is when I push my arm up, sometimes my arm can't hold or is pulled down by the weight and I have to bail less the weight drops on me or something. I deload immediately after that. I don't really emom but rather try to do everything continously except for 1 min rest between arm swings and get ups. 

Mar. 25th

S&S UN-timed

Swings

6x10 40kg

4x10 32kg

TGU

6x1 TGU 40kg

4x1 TGU 32kg

Grinding up those weights. If I want to meet my goal on 40kg S&S on 40th b-day (half of May), I need to push a bit more. Or more than a bit...

Mar. 29th

S&S UN-timed

Swings

6x10 40kg

4x10 32kg

TGU

6x1 TGU 40kg

4x1 TGU 32kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Mar. 30th

S&S UN-timed

Swings

6x10 40kg

4x10 32kg

TGU

6x1 TGU 40kg

4x1 TGU 32kg

Untimed, but measured. Last two times were above 20 minutes. This time - 19 minutes :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Apr. 1st

S&S UN-timed

Swings

6x10 40kg

4x10 32kg

TGU

6x1 TGU 40kg

4x1 TGU 32kg

17 minutes! Almost at it!

Today was just a good day for S&S somehow. It felt easier, lighter and all. I guess Saturday exercises may take more time and I will do my best not to freak out about it :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Apr. 3rd

S&S UN-timed

Swings

6x10 40kg

4x10 32kg

TGU

6x1 TGU 40kg

4x1 TGU 32kg

19 minutes. As suspected, slower than the last time. I don't mind it though - I'm happy I can enjoy the exercises. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Apr. 6th

S&S UN-timed

Swings

6x10 40kg

4x10 32kg

TGU

8x1 TGU 40kg

2x1 TGU 32kg

Another heavy TGU set. 

Even with this, I did the routine in 20 minutes :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Hmm... about getting closer...

in 25 minutes: 

Swings

8x10 40kg

2x10 32kg

TGU

10x1 TGU 40kg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :victorious:

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nah, I won't be going any further in weight, at least for now. After all, it's 50% of my bodyweight. The goal is to do full 40kg routine on my 40th birthday in May. After that I'll probably introduce some other exercises and keep S&S as an amusement once a week or so. I'd like to put bit more muscles on, but that would require whole different style of training - S&S aims for strength, not bodybuilding. I might get back to grinding pull-ups maybe :devilish:

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Apr. 10th

No training. I hit my right thumb against desk edge (I tried to catch pen rolling off the table). Unfortunately, I managed to partially rip the nail off. Thumb got swollen and all, and hurt when holding a kettlebell handle. Decided to wait a day to let it heal a bit.

Apr. 11th

Thumb still hurts when touched, but I was able to get through complete S&S routine. 

Untimed (took about 30 minutes), but...

FULL 40 kg!!!

I know my endurance isn't stellar (and injured hand plays some role in this too), so I revised my goals - I won't be able to squeeze this weight S&S in 16 minutes a month from now. But heck, it's not a competition, I can change rules as I want. I will ditch the time restriction and call it a day :D 

This way I can redesign my training routine again, this time to get prepared for OCR in June I've signed in. It would be best if I'd think of a training plan for our whole family, as we will be doing "Family OCR" as well.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm also thinking burpees...  AS cardio. No point in grinding mileage when at OCR longest parts are still under 500 meters (about 200m on average). I'm aiming at 6K / 30 obstacles run.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Apr. 13th

Okay, I must admit it. My burpee game is weak. 

15 minutes, 70 reps. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler