Forums are back in action! ×

My way towards (next) OCR

May 14th

Instead of S&S, did some KB deadlifts. Some...

4x30 KB DL (40kg)

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

May 18th

S&S 32kg with one set of TGU with 40kg.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

May 20th

Burpees. 72 reps in 15 min.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

May 22nd

Pull-ups, 15 min

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yesterday rode over 200 km on a motorcycle, last 20 in a rain. Today I found I have muscles in my lower chest area I never knew of. And they are sore as heck :D 

Who could imagine riding a motorcycle can be a workout :confused:

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

May 25th

15 min Push-ups

10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 6, 5

(80 total :()

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

May 27th

15 min Pull-ups

8, 6, 6, 5, 5

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

May 29th

Donated blood. Got almost turned down because low weight... sigh. I know most people are slightly overweight, but why should this be treated as "NORMAL"? Just because I take care of myself I've been treated like some anorectic... GAH!

Anyway... took extra day of rest because arm hurt a bit from the needle.

May 30th

Caught up with training :)

S&S 32kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun. 1st

15 min

10x5 body rows

5x10 push-ups

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

On 5/30/2021 at 10:41 PM, aramis said:

May 29th

Donated blood. Got almost turned down because low weight... sigh. I know most people are slightly overweight, but why should this be treated as "NORMAL"? Just because I take care of myself I've been treated like some anorectic... GAH!

Anyway... took extra day of rest because arm hurt a bit from the needle.

May 30th

Caught up with training :)

S&S 32kg

I will have problems donating full volume of blood come after my 66k. I'm below 50kg already, so I feel you. If I drop below 45kg I can't donate blood lol. They will take half the amount of blood they usually take.

What's the weight requirements at your place?

Don't know actually. I guess they check height to weight ratio, BMI or something along this way. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Ask for the measure they take. Then if you feel like it hard enough, you can try to comply. Remember muscle weighs more then fat, so given some weights around and you being a guy, you could potentially gain some muscle, look good, and tell them, dude, my BMI is 20, just measure my height and weigh me, or I'm above XX kg, as per your requirements. What is the problem again?

I suspect body builders may have BMI> 25, but still look good cos of their low body fat percentage.

One thing is that simple and sinister is not a hypertrophy program, so you may be strong as fk but look like one lean, mean dude, as opposed to gym bros who lift weights in the gym. 

I suspect my weight loss, besides due to cutting out oil from cooking food, is also due to the fact gyms are closed due to covid and I can't get my hands on heavy weights =( Sure, I try to do  body weight exercises it but I guess there are differences...

Cos most people who do bodyweight exercises primarily end up looking lean and mean, as bodyweight means you're pushing/pulling your own weight so you have incentive not to be too heavy.

It's quite complicated because several different things overlap considering my weight. But it's not the case actually. I guess it boils down to deciding what is more important for me - being lean af or donating blood without staff making problems. 

Anyway - I thought about my training lately and decided to make changes.

Jun. 3rd

Upper body focused resistance band/kettlebell combo (test drive):

8 x assisted pull-up

8 x band lat pull-down (straight arm)

8 x KB shrug (40kg one hand, 32kg the other - switching sides set to set)

8 x band Zeus row

8 x band face pull

8 x KB deadlift (40kg)

8 x per side KB overhead press (16kg)

all the above in circuit, 3 times

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun. 5th

3 x in circuit:

4 x pull-up + 4 x assisted pull-up

8 x band lat pull-down (straight arm)

8 x KB shrug (40kg one hand, 32kg the other - switching sides set to set)

8 x band Zeus row

8 x band face pull

8 x KB deadlift (40kg)

8 x per side KB overhead press (16kg)

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

It takes bit longer, but I can squeeze it in 20-25 minutes. It works mostly upper back with bit of lumbar area and shoulders. For now I find it challenging, especially shrugs and overhead press. 

Jun. 8th

Busy again... 

S&S 32kg in the garden :)

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jun. 10th

For some reason my head decided to f*ck me over today. I have such crippling headache even walking is challenging...

But I will not surrender to this bowl of overcooked spaghetti! I found some stuff I can do without even standing up :D

6 x 10 banded Lateral Raises (both sides)

2 x 1min active hang

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Dehydration? No, I don't think so. I drink... lots. 

I'll just go an easy route and blame it on weather. You can always blame the weather :D 

Annnd maybe my age...? People over 40 start to decompose, so it might be also a reason ;) 

Anyway, I need to get my shit straight...

Tomorrow is OCR day!

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

RAWR!

Done my second individual OCR ✌️ and second "Family run" as well. 

I guess doing 6+2km and 30 + 15 obstacles counts as a training, right ;) ?

IMG_20210613_143905.thumb.jpg.28671aecd7d727eb677cd51e65bd092a.jpgIMG_20210613_143942.thumb.jpg.39d740a81b78f6668915901bf41365a0.jpg

I'm happy as a clam because on my individual run I failed on only two obstacles (involving ball grips), and most obstacles I did on first try. Total time was 1h32m - about 10 minutes longer than last year. I guess mostly because I didn't run at all for the last year and many sections I just walked. Secondly, before more challenging obstacles I took extra time before the attempt just to be sure I won't run out of steam mid-obstacle. And, as you always can blame weather, I think scorching sun could impact my time in some way.

Anyway, I'm super happy of my technique and strength while don't care much about my time. It was lots of fun. With capital "F", capital "U" and capital "N" :D 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yes all those obstacles and running count as training. I activated my Fitbit when I did my spartan downtown and was pleasantly surprised to find a heart rate of 125 bpm average for the entire shebang, including burpee penalties lol. And 13/15 obstacles is good, I wish I could do as well if my spartan sprint ever happens...

Sun will slow your run speed (at least for non pros by 30s-90s/km). The pros lose maybe 20s/km?

*Oggles at Aramis's veins* Mine are barely visible lol.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mortimer said:

13/15 obstacles

It was 28/30 on my run. 15-obstacle-one was Family run ;) 

What's about the veins? Is it some fashion/fetish of sorts?

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler