Forums are back in action! ×

My way towards (next) OCR

Runners like carbs for a reason. I think it's a reasonable statement to say most runners are sweet tooths. Or how'd we stomach all those gels we eat....

And ultrarunners can get even more wtf with what they eat. I know people who run around on gummy bears and candy. My to go to item would be soy milk.

Jul. 24th

25g carbs pre workout.

Strapped wrist weights to my kettlebell to slightly increase load. Also learned that presses I do are called "Armolds" (yes, after THIS Arnold). It's the variation where you add external rotation during the press for better activation of rear delt. 

6x6 18kg KB Overhead (Arnold) Press.

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Jul. 27th

25 carbs pre workout

6x7 18kg KB Overhead (Arnold) Press.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Jul. 29th

25 carbs pre workout

6x7 18kg KB Overhead (Arnold) Press.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Jul. 31st

25 carbs pre workout

Next week I'll cut the extra carbs and observe my performance. This will be the final week of the experiment. We'll see if all this carb loading/TKD works for me or not.

After this, I'm going for two week vacation and will need to jerry-rig some training routine (I won't be taking my weights along ;) ).

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Okie Aramis! Enjoy your vacation! Hopefully you find some place you can hang from so you can do pull ups ? Or that being said you could mess around with assisted pistols/full pistols, box jumps, hollow body holds and push ups of multiple varieties. Run out of inspiration and there's always the burpee ?

• Haha 1

Yeah, bodyweight battalion call is strong. 

But right now I'm scanning google maps for gyms in close vicinity of our hotel, because I'd like to keep my shoulder building regime - and this calls for free weights.

In worst case scenario, for upward pushing movement like OH press I always can fall back to handstand pushups :devilish:

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 3rd

No carbs pre workout.

It may be placebo, but I think workout was harder than earlier. Will keep an eye on things.

Won't be ale to OP my kids, they are way too... wiggly :) 

I guess I'll settle with handstands. To be honest - I can't kick-up properly, nor keep my balance (yet). I just walk up the wall and use teeny-tiny support from it with my toes.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 5th

No carbs pre workout.

I feel like walking disaster last couple days, yet workout was - surprisingly - not as hard as I was expecting. 

Not sure what's going on, but lately I can't focus on anything, have trouble getting out of bed in the morning (even if I go to bed earlier than usual), I'm vexed and touchy... Damn, it's so annoying! 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 8th

No carbs pre workout.

4x8 

2x7 18kg KB Overhead (Arnold) Press.

I was curious if I can make same progress as I did with carb loading. 

NOPE

But on the other side - there was no backslide nor hitting-the-wall situation. I guess I CAN use some carbs, but I don't NEED to. 

Another thing is the dose - looks like 10-15g isn't enough for any real difference. With 25g (of which about 15g is pure glucose) there is noticeable difference... food for thought.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Don't think so. Running is aerobic and lifting isn't. If I remember correctly, the carbs are used in different way. Anyway I've finished my experiment and put loading aside - at least for now.

Due to my kid's broken arm our vacation plans went down the drain. Check-ups in the hospital and waiting for the outcome ate whole first week. When it turned out he managed to displace it, we were pretty sure we ain't going nowhere. Wife changed the reservation for mid-September and I cut my leave at work. And then, doctor was able to put my kid's arm together properly without operation we were told earlier will be necessary. So, my brillant wife did an impulsive search and booked different spot (in the same city) for this week. So - I'm home, go to work etc, and she is at vacation with kids... 

Long story short - I'm back to my KB presses.

Aug. 15th

6x8 18kg KB Overhead (Arnold) Press.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

He broke his humerus, and after about two weeks with splint, he somehow dislocated the broken ends. As of time - the broken bone heals about 6-8 weeks, so he's got cast for that. And there will be some sort of physio afterwards.

Aug. 17th

Aug. 19th

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 21st

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yeah. Especially schoolyear is about to start. But he's doing fine. I wish I had the cool he has about his injury.

Aug. 24th

6x8 18kg KB Overhead (Arnold) Press

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

No regular training for some time now.

I'm taking motorcycle driving course which consumes quite some time after work. I try to squeeze it into as short period as I can - to be able to take an exam before winter. Another thing, in the middle of September, will be going for a week vacation - another time away from routine training. 

So, yeah. For next month or so - no actual training. 

(or at least this is the plan ;)

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

That's why I said "no ACTUAL training". 

I'll be squeezing some bodyweight stuff here and there for sure, but other things have the priority now. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Sigh... this took longer than expected.

Live gets in the way, but it's high time to get back on fitness bandwagon. And because (as usual) I'm strapped for time, I'm going with proven Simple and Sinister routine.

Oct. 16th

S&S 24kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Oct. 19th

S&S 24kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Oct. 21st

S&S 24kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Oct. 23rd

S&S 24kg.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler