Forums are back in action! ×

Rebel Stronk: The art of lifting heavy things and putting them down again

On 10/14/2024 at 3:27 PM, Jarric said:

I agree - muscle ups are super cool. I can get a few kipping ones, and ring muscle ups, but not strict bar muscle ups.

It should be possible to do muscle ups on a bar without kipping, and as far as I know it is just pulling hard, but it's really hard to generate force all the way through that movement without kipping.

For kipping, I would use a normal pullup grip, not gripping too tight as your hand needs to move round the bar. I know some people who like a thumbless grip because it makes the transition at the top a bit easier, but it also runs the risk that your hand slips off and you hurt your arm/ribs/face as you fall on the bar. I'm not sure exactly what the grip is for strict muscle ups.

Ring muscle ups also look cool AF, if you have a bar you can hang some gymnastic rings from.

red panda GIF

Thanks. Last week I had my first go at trying to pull up higher. I was going into it tired, so not ideal. I don't think it changed my pull up height at all, but it made my arms real tired real fast--surprisingly so. 

So I've got a long road. 

Also, you have a surprising number of adorable animal-based exercise memes. Hopefully someday I can muscle up with as much ease as this fluffy little red panda. ?

• Like 1
On 10/16/2024 at 1:30 AM, ViperN7 said:

Thanks. Last week I had my first go at trying to pull up higher. I was going into it tired, so not ideal. I don't think it changed my pull up height at all, but it made my arms real tired real fast--surprisingly so. 

So I've got a long road. 

Maybe it's worth working on chest to bar pullups, and then working on making that contact point with your chest lower and lower? I also wonder if doing controlled negatives would be good - jumping on top of the bar and then trying to roll back off it and lower yourself down? I have never tried this and have no idea if it's a good strategy, but I might have to give it a go now I've thought of it.

On 10/16/2024 at 1:30 AM, ViperN7 said:

Also, you have a surprising number of adorable animal-based exercise memes. Hopefully someday I can muscle up with as much ease as this fluffy little red panda. ?

We all aspire to make it look as easy as that cute little bugger :lol:

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

3 hours ago, Jarric said:

Maybe it's worth working on chest to bar pullups, and then working on making that contact point with your chest lower and lower? I also wonder if doing controlled negatives would be good - jumping on top of the bar and then trying to roll back off it and lower yourself down? I have never tried this and have no idea if it's a good strategy, but I might have to give it a go now I've thought of it.

We all aspire to make it look as easy as that cute little bugger :lol:

Hmmm negatives are an interesting idea

• Like 1