Forums are back in action! ×

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

I think it will really enhance your pose if you start with a gestural sketch.

So, I actually started by watching several Proko videos on gesture drawings and attempted a couple for this, but it hasn't quite clicked yet.  Need more practice, I guess.  Or more videos.  Or both.  Probably both.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

1 minute ago, Everstorm said:

So, I actually started by watching several Proko videos on gesture drawings and attempted a couple for this, but it hasn't quite clicked yet.  Need more practice, I guess.  Or more videos.  Or both.  Probably both.

Oh, neato. Yeah, watch and practice. Dozens of quick sketches. Hundreds. I should probably be doing them, too. Maybe I can use them as a warm up. There are even websites that provide pictures and timers and change the pictures every minute or thirty seconds.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

So these aren't new but I realized awhile back that I like doing random hand close ups. I have a few other painting ideas involving hands and my dogs paws.. but for now I'll share these. 

Screenshot_20240704-2225352.png.93d53c045d88bcd0f9406c7c83c810c8.png

This was my first ever painted hand. The hand took the longest for me to figure out because I don't paint people lol. I'm really proud of how it turned out in the end because people are a struggle for me. 

Screenshot_20240704-2210042.png.8b85d04dfbd553b23a8f785a3d8cc756.png

This is my second hand painting but first ever hand close up hand painting. I made it for a coworker who lost her sister. Her sister loved blue butterflies and it's kind of their symbol for her. 

Screenshot_20240704-2210082.png.5e15c675ca8ae6e7e1a0129cc80cd076.png

This is actually a different painting from the first. I was asked to repaint it for my co-workers niece who lost her mom. The hands turned out more refined in this one but I prefer the brightness of the butterfly from the first one. 

Screenshot_20240704-2210173.png.1a251aa85e368c731073770e4cc470ad.png

This was actually born from an inktober sketch. I love it mostly but the random background I don't love.  I particularly really love the darkness (with stars) dropping through the fingers. 

Screenshot_20240704-2210122.png.57f965c70419f2c52ea2906c58f74948.png

This is the above painting but before I added the starry darkness. I really loved it and love the rawness. I'm not necessarily sad I changed it but I definitely love both equally. 

I'm feeling motivated to start on my next hand painting thanks to this challenge! 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 3

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

12 hours ago, Rookie said:

I'm feeling motivated to start on my next hand painting thanks to this challenge! 

They're all extremely well observed, including the colour and light! Amazing! 

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Made a figure from imagination, then clothed it. Focus: big sleeves. I am making progress with both figures and clothes. It took ages, though, and many iterations.

image.thumb.png.8acd87097a42306f1c8c3e9bc0644d84.png

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 2

23 hours ago, Salinger said:

Absolute diva @Harriet

23 hours ago, Rookie said:

I love the big sleeves! Well done @Harriet

Thank you my lovelies. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

I made this study of hands—mostly a line drawing with simple colouring. I think I’m picking up some of the characterising features of hands, but we’ll see if I can invent some hands from imagination for my next study.

08072024handsstudyfromreference.thumb.png.47b86f324249f0a423f281802a9382f0.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 3

I spent some time on this study. I lacked the stamina to make it a rendered painting, so I just stuck with the line drawing. Hmmm. I picked it for the arms and hands but it’s more of a torso study. Hands remain tricky. I'm also trying to find a brush in procreate that I can change the thickness of with pressure. None of them are quite perfect yet. I had a little fun with the shadows here, though they're simple, I'm happy with them. They're invented, not from reference. 

image.thumb.png.03b9103c3954bc5f2eb95b862cc79b47.png

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

On 7/8/2024 at 11:07 AM, Harriet said:

I made this study of hands—mostly a line drawing with simple colouring. I think I’m picking up some of the characterising features of hands, but we’ll see if I can invent some hands from imagination for my next study.

08072024handsstudyfromreference.thumb.png.47b86f324249f0a423f281802a9382f0.png

I like that your hands look different lol all mine are chubby hands. I'm not sure how to make them more delicate! 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

On 7/13/2024 at 4:18 AM, Rookie said:

I like that your hands look different lol all mine are chubby hands. I'm not sure how to make them more delicate! 

Oh, thank you. I have had a little practice drawing different figures from reference, and they vary in shape, so that helps. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 3:17 AM, Rookie said:

PXL_20240723_010657405.thumb.jpg.cb2b269c983f53c6da8704cd71b2a430.jpg

It has a hand.. It counts lol 

This was a little 10 min study I did. I free drew it so some proportions are a bit off but cute! 

Sweet! I love the tongue. Very characteristic. 

• Like 1

A study of  person with sleeves and a study of figure with arms. 

27072024redsleevesstudy.thumb.png.b3f4e49059d2ebe1e4c83f37300fcfb4.png28072024figurestudy.thumb.png.6b12ca8b816ebd0839e1ff2319d1f930.png

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

15 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Ok, I slacked off on all my art when I was sick.  Here's an apology owl (with a hand and everything!)

20240728_195743.thumb.jpg.237c92894c81cbacbe8b5e43ce38a124.jpg

Oh, excellent! I love that you chose a close up with a glove. That's perfect for this thread. And you characterised the glove well--the folds and the seams give the right look. The owl is adorable, but that's neither here nor there ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Figure sketch with hands. I didn't focus on the hands hugely because from a distance, you don't reallllly want that much detail on such a small part. But that doesn't mean I didn't think about hands. An impression of handiness was the best choice, I felt. 

image.thumb.png.93f70b462e62ae1e4029379b8ba49bcf.png

• Like 3