Forums are back in action! ×

Hey Nerds!

Ok so why am I here?

I think the crux of the issue is that I'm simply not happy with myself. How I look, how I feel, how I spend my time. I think that I can really improve my mood by eating better, getting active (again) and as a result gaining productivity.  A quick point here is that I'm on the skinny side and need to gain weight rather than lose it.

I have a demanding job that can easily rack up the weekly hours, but once I finish I want to be finished. I have an idea in my head that I will get home and then exercise, and that will act as my mental trigger for finishing work. Hopefully that will lead to more restful evenings where I can do my nerd stuff (usually something Roman or my guilty pleasure which is football manager)  without that nagging work stress whispering in my ear.

First job is probably healthy meal ideas, especially quick and easy work lunches, get the right nutrients into my body, then get moving again. Any tips on what questions I need to be asking myself at this point or what kind of soul searching needs to be done?

Deck.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Deck said:

A quick point here is that I'm on the skinny side and need to gain weight rather than lose it.

Skinny skinny, or skinny fat? Either way, weight lifting might be the way to go in terms of activity - gaining weight by gaining muscle, not fat.

my nerd stuff (usually something Roman or my guilty pleasure which is football manager)

Every new FM version, or did you get stuck on an older one that still gets updates?

I revisit CM01/02 every couple of years. Still gets two updates per season! ?

Any tips on what questions I need to be asking myself at this point or what kind of soul searching needs to be done?

Define goals for yourself. SMART ones: specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and timely.

For instance, by New Year I want to gain 8 pounds / be able to run 5 miles / be able to bench press 100 kg, and define the actions you will undertake to achieve these goals...

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

Hi TimovieMan, thanks for stopping by!

Skinny skinny but not quite as skinny skinny as I was 5 years ago! Some form of weight lifting appeals, We have a garage and the plan is to get some basic equipment in there - mainly a bench and rack to be able to do something like 5x5 which really worked for me in my early twenties. Granted it's a mess in there right now. I don't want to completely forget about cardio though and possibly still ride or run for my head-space rather than anything too strenuous. I'm quite conscious of wanting to be healthy all-round if that makes sense?

It sounds like goals and targets are a must for me. Even typing this out, I can hear how jumbled I am. I need to develop my vague ideas of 'health' into actionable points. 

I allow myself the treat of getting the new one each year as my one and only game. I really like the added detail that it goes into year on year. Quite a sucker for doing things like tracking development and having control of all areas! Maybe on a spreadsheet or... five. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Deck said:

It sounds like goals and targets are a must for me. Even typing this out, I can hear how jumbled I am. I need to develop my vague ideas of 'health' into actionable points. 

Give yourself a realistic deadline, and make sure the goals are measurable. For added progress tracking: take regular pictures of yourself so you can see the changes to your body - the pictures won't lie as much as the mirror will.

10 minutes ago, Deck said:

I allow myself the treat of getting the new one each year as my one and only game. I really like the added detail that it goes into year on year. Quite a sucker for doing things like tracking development and having control of all areas! Maybe on a spreadsheet or... five. 

I applaud your persistence. "In-depth" doesn't even begin to cover the more recent versions.

I lost interest in the new iterations after FM07. As they added more and more stuff to the game, it became more intensive to play, and harder and harder to keep track of everything. That also made it *slower*, to the point of feeling more like busywork at times which made it less and less fun for me. So I went back to the version that struck the optimal balance for me between having depth and being fun. ?

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

Hi there! 

On 8/13/2024 at 1:21 PM, Deck said:

First job is probably healthy meal ideas, especially quick and easy work lunches, get the right nutrients into my body, then get moving again. Any tips on what questions I need to be asking myself at this point or what kind of soul searching needs to be done?

It sounds like you're thinking in this direction already, but you asked for soul searching, so here's my two cents. 

It sounds like you want to make changes on several axes. It can be tricky to try to make several changes at once.  (I don't know how you personally respond, but many people get choice paralysis or try drastic changes that are not sustainable.) I recommend doing some thinking about how your current habits affect each other. What's a foundational piece? What's something you can change now that will positively affect other parts? Then focus on changing that one thing, until it doesn't need focus anymore. Then pick another thing. 

Just my two cents. Good luck! 

• Like 1